How would you address the following defenses? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How would you address the following defenses?

Lee2000

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
For those of you who have a high football IQ, or have coached or just do so in your fantasies, how would you attack these defenses (which include defenses that are played at the college and high school level)?

5-2 defense (five dl, 2 inside linebackers, and 4 dbs)
4-4 defense (four dl, 4 lbs stacked behind the dl, and 3 dbs)
4-3 defense (standard pro defense along with the 3-4)
3-4 defense (everyone on here should know it by now)
prevent defenses (5 or 6 dbs, 4 dl, a rover type)
Southern MS defense (for those of you that have followed USM's defense at the college level, or followed John Thompson, the new defensive coordinator for South Carolina who also has been at Florida, Arkansas, and East Carolina, you will say this is a crazy lineup)
This defense involves standing up almost everyone, including the guys on the dl. One or two guys will be on the line of scrimmage and three or four will be dancing around and no one knows who is coming on the blitz). Similar to Joe Lee Dunn's defenses if you have followed him at Miss. St. Ole Miss, Memphis etc.

Thought I would throw out a different kind of thread.

Lee2000 :wink:

Lee2000 said:
For those of you who have a high football IQ, or have coached or just do so in your fantasies, how would you attack these defenses (which include defenses that are played at the college and high school level)?

Southern MS defense (for those of you that have followed USM's defense at the college level, or followed John Thompson, the new defensive coordinator for South Carolina who also has been at Florida, Arkansas, and East Carolina, you will say this is a crazy lineup)
This defense involves standing up almost everyone, including the guys on the dl. One or two guys will be on the line of scrimmage and three or four will be dancing around and no one knows who is coming on the blitz). Similar to Joe Lee Dunn's defenses if you have followed him at Miss. St. Ole Miss, Memphis etc.

Depends on the tools I have...

on a 5-2 typically I'd use short passes. Abuse those LB's. Short TE's ins across the middle, and HB screens on the outsides as well. With 5 guys on the line you need to watch the pressure, screens would be great, and if you go with a big front (maybe 2 TE's) than you should be able to run some crosses, slants, and ins.

Any formation with 3 DB's is a no brainer. Come out in shotty, set up with lots of wide-outs, and find the seems. Test the speed, footwork, and recognition of the defense. Lots of deep corners, and maybe flood the middle deep.

The 4-3 and 3-4 are alot harder to call, depends on what you have, what they have, and down/distance.

A nickle/dime/quarter I'd abuse the DL, and LB's. Send power runs up the gut, etc. But really it would be a passing situation against this defense so it all depends on the scenerio.

Lee2000 said:

I'm at work, so I can't go into great detail.

5-2: Running - you run the ball off tackle with traps, sealing the linebacker inside and using a pulling guard to kick out the DE.
Passing- You'd probably want to counter a 5-2 with a 2 TE set. You'd have plenty of opportunities throwing the screen, swing passes and TEs in the flats. You would also be able to hit some passes in the seams and crossing routes would be open, particularly if you run effective play action.

4-4:running- You'd want to seal the LB and sweep outside. Running up the middle wouldn't be very effective, but if you were able to hold the LBs off long enough, outside runs could work.
Passing: You'd be able to eat them alive as long as you could pick up the blitz effectively. 3 DBs is just asking for big pass plays.
4-3: Running: Draws, Traps, Off Tackle, Misdirection. Basically everything. The 4-3 is the most common Defense but because its the most common, it's easier to attack because of familiarity.
Passing: Good play action would be huge against this defense. Passes in the seams and corner or out passes are effective. The TE is a big factor against a 4-3.
3-4: Running: If you can get your o-lineman on the LBs you can run the ball effectively anywhere. The problem is, LBs are ALWAYS faster than O lineman, so you'd have to set the LBs up with misdirection to give the linemen time to get on the LBs and seal them away from the play. That isn;t to say some outside runs wouldn't be effective.
Passing: Same as 4-3.

That's it in a nutshell from me. Like I said, I am at work so I can't go into extensive detail.

Recently we were in a game against a 5-2 and the defense was tearing us apart. At half time I wrote up a play for the coach, a "double-screen".

Shotgun - Pro set w/ 2 TE's...

The WR runs a deep fly, the TE's take off right away and get into position, the T's wait 1 sec then take off and get into position, and after 2 sec the G's take off and get into position. At the same time the T's leave the HB's head out and get behind their lines. Meanwhile the QB is dropping back and drawing the DL in to him, and then he just gives a light toss of to whichever side he reads. We did it 3 times, and not once had the defense caught on to it. All 3 times it scored a TD, 22 yards, 18 yards, and 81 yards.

Ideally it kills the LB's ESPECIALLY if there is blitz, if not they still need to get out after reading the screen, and break 3 blockers on either side, meanwhile a CB must come in and help, at best it is 3 blockers and 1 RB vs. 3 defensemen, that's if the safety slides, and the QB makes the bad read. If both LB's go one way, the QB just tosses it the other way.

MiamiDolfans said:
Recently we were in a game against a 5-2 and the defense was tearing us apart. At half time I wrote up a play for the coach, a "double-screen".

Shotgun - Pro set w/ 2 TE's...

The WR runs a deep fly, the TE's take off right away and get into position, the T's wait 1 sec then take off and get into position, and after 2 sec the G's take off and get into position. At the same time the T's leave the HB's head out and get behind their lines. Meanwhile the QB is dropping back and drawing the DL in to him, and then he just gives a light toss of to whichever side he reads. We did it 3 times, and not once had the defense caught on to it. All 3 times it scored a TD, 22 yards, 18 yards, and 81 yards.

Ideally it kills the LB's ESPECIALLY if there is blitz, if not they still need to get out after reading the screen, and break 3 blockers on either side, meanwhile a CB must come in and help, at best it is 3 blockers and 1 RB vs. 3 defensemen, that's if the safety slides, and the QB makes the bad read. If both LB's go one way, the QB just tosses it the other way.

Definetly kills them if there is a blitz...but if there isn't....

pfff, at west lyon it doesnt matter what defense we go against, we run striaght into it, push and shove smash mouth northwest iowa football baby!

Alien said:
pfff, at west lyon it doesnt matter what defense we go against, we run striaght into it, push and shove smash mouth northwest iowa football baby!

In Canada I can rush for 3000 yards in an 8 game season, record 150 tackles in 8 games, intercept 16 passes in 8 game, and crush everyone, and still know I probably won't even play NCAA when I graduate... :shakeno:

think that sucks, im only 5'9'' and told im could be the next great football player from my school, with players like kyle vanden bosch and lavar woods coming from my high school(both are playing now with new teams), and my high school only has about 350 kids in it anually. even worse im on the offensive line and my family is short so i wont be growing at all. i can only do my best even with no hope of ncaa, but ive been told i could get a scholarship to play at usf, or even northwestern(not the big college).

but back to the thread, against a 5-2 if your offensive line can have a center that can take on the nose tackle alone than a trap with the guards and tackles should work with the full back sealing off one linebacker and letting the back get into the secondary

with a 4-4 we always use guards(on our offense the fast o-lineman) to try and take on the linbackers and have the tackles crash in, the plays dont create lanes so much as they do paths, the rb has to pick and choose his way through. and thats all i want to type heh

If I were running a 5-2 defense, I would run it basically like a 4-3 but move a defensive end inside and play an OLB over the tight end, so it's pretty similar to a 4-3. To attack a 4-3, depending on the coverage I think you try to get to the outside since most teams try to use 2 run stuffing DT's to handle 3 offensive linemen, To pass against a 4-3, it's basically the same as any, ya look for the mismatches, if they're running cover 2, you attack the middle of the field while sending the WR's deep to take the safeties with them. To attack a 3-4, I think you can run inside and combo block the nose tackle to the inside linebacker while using an offside linemen to take on the other ILB. A 4-4 usually is very similar to a 4-3 except there is a safety up playing run, to attack this I believe you've gotta go play action pass deep, if you can freeze the linebacker and can get enough time in the pocket you should be able to attack and get some big plays. If you're playing against a prevent, you're probably losing and you've gotta be desperate so there really is no way to attack it because I would assume running is out of the question and time is a factor, so under this you probably would try to get to the sidelines, or get to the middle of the field and spike the ball. That Southern Miss defense was used by the Pats against the Bills a few years ago, and I would just run against it because the defensive linemen have no leverage and the linemen should be able to drive block them and gain yards.

Back
Top Bottom