Huddle Report Player Analyses...Drew Boylhart | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Huddle Report Player Analyses...Drew Boylhart

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
http://thehuddlereport.com/2004DRAFT/ProfilesPage.htm

I think you guys should check these out I've been reading them for the past hour and I find them pretty entertaining. Say what you want about his conclusions but the guy is certainly bold.

He's talked about moving around just about every player I've read about so far. Here's a few zingers he's fired off in these reports.

1. Phillip Rivers does not have the arm to ever be a starting NFL quarterback, but he's got everything else. CBs will learn that they can sit on his short routes and he cant burn them long, which makes him not viable even for the WCO.

2. Phillip Rivers could be a quality TE

3. JP Losman has all the tools you want at QB but the attitude is about as bad as you get and no Boomer he didn't say it because of his moving from UCLA to Tulane...he says he has only watched him on the field not read other peoples banter, and come to his conclusions that way from his field play. Losman is a coach killer. He doesn't have the willingness to be the kind of leader that understand that an offense needs more than one star. He rates him the 3rd best QB in the draft but marks him with a big fat red marker for "DO NOT DRAFT" Green means ok, yellow means caution, red means by no means draft him.

4. Matt Schaub reminds him of Tom Brady. Needs to get better in all aspects of his game but is blessed with the 2 things (really the 3 things) you need to be a successful NFL QB....good arm, mental toughness...and willingness to learn. Says his professional manner seems to suggest he can learn a lot and will be willing to...with a good QB Coach he could be special earlier rather than later.

5. Ben Roethlisberger has better tools than Eli Manning, and eventually could be as good or better, but by no means should he play a down within two years of entering the NFL otherwise he'll "flatline" and bounce around the league for years until someone revives him when he's 35 and its too late. Cold weather teams should consider Ben and rate him higher than Eli though.

6. Eli Manning is as good as you get, will be a star, and can play right away. His only weakness, is he needs to put on weight to play in the NFL and take the pounding, but that is it. Says if you need a QB, don't mess around and think you're smarter than the rest by taking one of these question marks, move up and get Eli...trade your mother for him, your mother will be proud.

7. Vernon Carey he speculates, would be best played as a CENTER in the NFL...and he says that he has the ability to literally redefine the center position.

8. Tommy Harris has great quickness and plays like a linebacker in a DTs body...but as a DT he will always struggle against the run. He should me moved to LDE and allowed to play every down from that position as a DE. He has the ability to be as good as Michael Strahan or Julius Peppers from that position, and could easily win rookie of the year if someone does move him there.

9. Michael Clayton he rates the 2nd best WR in the draft behind only Larry Fitzgerald. Says the only thing keeping him back is he wasn't allowed to sit and play one position until he was a junior, says if he was allowed to sit and play one position he would be polished enough that Fitzgerald and him would be 1 and 1A. Speculates that working with a speed coach would allow him to run in the 4.4 range instead of the 4.5 range. A 6'4" 200lbs WR with great hands, wonderful attitude high character, great leader understands the need for team play, and runs in the 4.4 range? Yeah, a true stud.

10. Jonathon Vilma is one of those undersized linebackers who can do everything except get bigger. Has to rate him in the 2nd round because of that, cuz if he doesnt prove in the pros that he can handle offensive linemen coming out to block him, he will be a system linebacker or a nickel/dime linebacker. But Boylhart thinks he WILL prove himself in the pros...the only problem is if he was a scout he wouldn't stake his neck on it by giving him a first round grade.

11. Sean Taylor he likens to a god on the football field on defense. A safety that hits as hard as a penny dropped from the top of the Empire State Building, with more ability to cover than most corners in the draft. Off field stuff may be a problem, the only main problem is him learning to get along with his fellow man. Otherwise if you need a dominant DB and you hold the #1 pick in the draft, you should consider him for it. He is the Mike Vick of defense, the guy says.

Good stuff, well at least he's in a league of his own and not a bandwagoner..

Right and I just wonder what kind of resume he has in terms of stuff he's written and been right on etc.

One of the guys on the site has us taking Michael Clayton in round 1 too. Another guy has us taking Rashaun Woods, and Boylhart himself has us taking OT Shawn Andrews who he rates as the 2nd best OL in the draft.

Maybe we should paid attention a little, I like it when there's a independent thinker out there. Sometimes players get good media hype and everyone jumps on the bandwagon only to be wrong, ie. leaf. and others, I would have love to see what he wrote about leaf before draft day.

Yeah I know me too man. I wonder if he's got any archives. I was just reading his stuff about Shawn Andrews and I gotta hand it to the guy he is not embarrassed or gun shy at saying a guy should be moved to this position or that position and his thinking on it tends to be pretty sound.

Like Shawn Andrews for instance, says his attitude is such that he wants to knock the snot out of someone and kick their butt...but should not be made a tackle for that reason. He's too mean. If you ask him to pass block a lot he's working on pride alone in tryin not to allow a guy to get to his QB...and he's really not a great pass protector. He'll get frustrated, and he'll get penalties. Put him at RG and "feed the bear" and the kid becomes a pro bowler.

In regards to Vernon Carey.....

He is a good tackle, a better guard, but his best position in the pro’s might be the position that he has played the least in college and that is the center position. This will take a little time for him to develop if my instincts are correct.

WAY too big to be a center IMO (6-5, 363).

That said, he follows with.....

I think that Vernon has the ability to re-define the center position to a new standard in the pros.

I remember when he was a member of the "Fearsome Fatsome" at Northwestern. Maulers, man.

Muck.....Vernon Carey is an A$$-Kicking machine........The only problem I see is that he sits out alot of plays...........I do not like that.

I don't know Muck, if Ruddy was that size, maybe he wouldn't have gotten push back so many times..If the guy is athletic, then he can can the position..there's more to a player than size.

Originally posted by Muck
In regards to Vernon Carey.....

WAY too big to be a center IMO (6-5, 363).

That said, he follows with.....

I remember when he was a member of the "Fearsome Fatsome" at Northwestern. Maulers, man.

i was gonna comment on the Center thing as well.

you guys think he's original? sounds like he's reaching in a few profiles...

This has to be my favorite. It's as if my dad wrote this blurb. :tongue:

If you are a team that needs a franchise QB, don’t be a fool. Don’t try to be cute, don’t think you can outsmart some other team and wait for him to drop to you. TRADE UP -- trade your Mother if you have to. Believe me, your Mother will be proud !!!!!

He's talking about Eli Manning of course.

Ok, I'm done quoting. I'm sure you guys can read on your own.

I would ask, what his qualifications are, other than watching a lot of college football? A guy can be an information machine, but not much on analysis. And, sometimes there's an overload of information that ultimately contradicts itself. But, worth reading anyway.

His analysis of Vernon Carey, for example, is completely inconsistent.

First he says he would be best suited at center (which, as Muck notes, he is not well suited for given his height). But, then he says he needs to work on quickness and strength.

Sorry but, if you look at the center position, quickness is a premium over size. Some of the best Centers are smaller - Kreutz (285); Mawai (285-290) ...

A center needs two main things: quickness to snap the ball and block before being hit, and leg strength and balance to anchor against a NT. Being shorter gives him an advantage of staying low enough to not get knocked back. Some of those key qualities are the exact opposite of what Carey has going for him.

On Rivers' arm strength - I've heard several different views on that. From my vantage point of having seen him throw for the past two years (we get every NC State game where I live), his arm looks very good - as good as several other guys in the draft. He does need to work on the deep spiral.

I missed that, good observations Da fin..

But I still think he's refreshing in his veiws.

Back
Top Bottom