Huizenga jummped for the best of both worlds.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Huizenga jummped for the best of both worlds....

Phinzone

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
I've been wondering about this whole keep wanny and get a GM thing. And I think I kind of figured out WHY he did this.

I think our GM will truely be a GM. Wanny will be stripped of power, and the GM will have all the personel decisions. I don't think this is a smoke screen.

I think Huizenga see's two different glasses of water.

The first glass is half full. It says that we are a spark in our offense away from making the SB. That we can win the big dance with our awesome defense. Many people think that we have this "window". i tend to disagree a little bit, as I think we need to start looking past this window of oppertunity, but I'll agree that it is there none the less.

The next glass says that our defense can't win it, and we need to rebuild around our young Offense. I kind of lean this way. I'm not ready to discount the abilities of our defense, I just think that we've been in "a window of oppertunity" mode a little too long, and are neglecting our future for it. Thus my reasoning for drafting a QB in the first round.

What's this all mean? It means Huizenga was probably torn between the two. Scrapping the front office would mean throwing in the towel with a talented D, while keeping it as is would surely hurt us down the road.

So IMO he kept Dave because Dave wants to win now. Dave NEEDS to win now. If we are going to make use of a window in the next 2 years, it'll need to be with a guy that NEEDS to succeed in that time frame.

The GM is for the future. He's not tied to the coach, and can actually use the coach as an out when things go bad. Our GM will draft for the future, while continuing to find cheap talent to better our team.

This will allow us to build around our young offense, while giving the man with the most to lose by Dolphins failure the shot to make the best of our window of oppertunity.

In retrospect....smart move Huizenga....

:up:

Great post ...

Pretty much my thoughts on the whole situation also !!

Marino1983

I think you are reading too much into this.

Look at the assistant coaches available and you will see why Dave is being kept. There are no quality head coaching candidates available. When Jim Mora Jr. is the assistant that is the most impressive candidate, there is something wrong with the talent level of those guys.

Rather than pay Nick Saban $5 million per, Wayne decided that it was best to keep the guy who has averaged 10 wins a season as Miami's coach.

The GM thing comes about because Dave the GM has always hurt Dave the HC. If Dave was never a GM, his career would probably be very simlar to Bill Cowher's career at this point.

Originally posted by KBISBACK
The GM thing comes about because Dave the GM has always hurt Dave the HC. If Dave was never a GM, his career would probably be very simlar to Bill Cowher's career at this point.

You make a very good point here. The prevailing thought (from I've read over the years) is that the guy can coach. That's never been a problem. But the talent evaluation and aquisition has obviously never been anything to brag about.

The word Wayne got about this season from NFL personel and talent men was "You had no business being 10-6. Not with that OL, that QB, and those WRs." And they actually gave Norv and Dave alot of credit.

If the personnel is there, you can bet your azz that Norv will open it up. And Wanny won't be ordering him go even more conservative (as he did at times this year).

Originally posted by Muck

The word Wayne got about this season from NFL personel and talent men was "You had no business being 10-6. Not with that OL, that QB, and those WRs." And they actually gave Norv and Dave alot of credit.

interesting, but injuries are huge factor and we had so few (unless you include the big one - Dixon); so that Dave's job easier

I still can give in to that argument especially since no matter how you rationalize it we s/have been 11-5 if Mare makes 1/2 ag NE :cry: :fire:

Yup. And then you're talking about "Dave Wannstedt got 12 wins with that sorry bunch on offense.". That's Belichick-like, but with less talent on that side of the ball.

Originally posted by Muck
Yup. And then you're talking about "Dave Wannstedt got 12 wins with that sorry bunch on offense.". That's Belichick-like, but with less talent on that side of the ball.
then you can argue, well Dave made his bed (not putting $$ into O), so he s/sleep in it a.k.a. stripping his GM powers :D

The thing is, Miami was about 12 points from being a 13-3 team. There are a lot of ifs involved. If Olindo had made that field goal against New England..........If Miami hadn't fallen to sleep against the Texans.........If Miami had just been able to put a hat on Dwight Freeney on that last drive against the Colts.........

A lot's of ifs.

This could have very well been a 13-3 team that would probably have home field advantage in the playoffs had those ifs become actualities.

There was only one game where Miami had no shot at winning. They just got bombed in Tennessee. The second New England game was a winnable game, but the offense just couldn't get going in the cold. The Eagles game was a very winnable game and was one of the few the defense didn't play well in. That game included, Miami could have been a 14-2 team.

Regardless of our 2-2 December record, I do think the late season fade monkey was thrown off their back this season by winning 5 of their last 7 games. This year, the 5-4 start hurt the team.

The bottom line is....................

The Miami Dolphins will always be 6th or 7th seed in the AFC with Dave as GM and/or HC.....

I guess Huizenga made the right call since you put it that away Graythreat. I Know this sounds crazy but why did'nt they look into Ditka or Reeves? I know Ditka did'nt do well in New Orleans but I still think he would get respect from his players jump down their throats a couple of times. As for Reeves he just needs a change there is no doubt in my mind he is a good coach. He took Broncos to super bowl and had an awsome season with the falcons in 98. He also took the falcons to the playoffs last year and beat the packers. But that would have been another crazy chance we could not take. JUST A CRAZY OPINION!!!!!!!!!

I had once wanted Wanny out of here, but when i thought about all the loses we had , it was mostlyt he players fault.. Wanny did make some bad calls but that didnt cause us to lose... Wayne did a good job keeping him here... i just hope the new gm will be as good as wanny is as a coach.... and he wouldnt make stupid draft picks or free agent aquisitions..

Originally posted by Jeep
The bottom line is....................

The Miami Dolphins will always be 6th or 7th seed in the AFC with Dave as GM and/or HC.....

How is that the bottom line? Bottom line usually means a succinct summary of an earlier, longer statement. You are stating an opinion which is the opposite of the earlier statements.

By the way it is also an opinion that is the opposite of those who know more about football than you. And I am not refering to myself or anyone else on this board, but to the NFL talent and personnel men.

I am wondering one thing. When is this "window" going to close? I have heard we had till the end of the year before last till it closes, then till the end of last year and we would be in cap trouble. After neither of those happened i heard "Oh man, we are introuble with the cap this year". Now the season is over and people arent worried about the cap at all. I hear that we have 2 years left in this window.

I dont think any such window actually exists, for us. There is no proof that one exists. I believe we are a team like Baltimore who no matter how much their roster gets raped they still come out the next year with players who get it done. These types of teams have no real window. So can we please stop talking about this "window"

Originally posted by outtawack311
I am wondering one thing. When is this "window" going to close? I have heard we had till the end of the year before last till it closes, then till the end of last year and we would be in cap trouble. After neither of those happened i heard "Oh man, we are introuble with the cap this year". Now the season is over and people arent worried about the cap at all. I hear that we have 2 years left in this window.

I dont think any such window actually exists, for us. There is no proof that one exists. I believe we are a team like Baltimore who no matter how much their roster gets raped they still come out the next year with players who get it done. These types of teams have no real window. So can we please stop talking about this "window"

I agree. This "window" was there until marino retired. Until then we had this "window" to win the SB. Then we had this "window" 3 years ago with this defense. Now we have this "window" to win with our defense.

I don't see a window. I see that in about 2 years we won't afford to keep our defense intact. Our D is getting old, and way too expensive.

Does that close the window? Heck no. Then we have a couple of years (god willing) to win with Ricky and our young offense. But we NEED a rookie QB to have a shot at a window. That's what has killed us for hte past few years. We were so focused on winning with Marino, that we neglected to look past Marino's career, leaving us SOL without a QB. To this day it still needs to be solved. Now if we focus so hard on winning in the next 2 years with this D, we'll be SOL in 2 years. We need to get our GM and have him realize this. Pick up immediate impact players for our Offense and try to spark it. If not, don't panic, because i the meantime we're building up our O with Ricky, Chambers, McMichael, and our rookie QB.

the "window" is what FA and the draft are for. that is one of the reasons wanny is no longer GM. a good GM will be able to replace talent as it gets old or moves on. there-by extending that "window".

miami typically does not ever really have a closed"window". this team just re-loads and continues on. i'm sure that other NFL personell have told wanny that now there truely is a window and it is indeed closing.

hence the GM position is created.

Back
Top Bottom