Hyde5: A scenario for Dolphins trading up, drafting a QB | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hyde5: A scenario for Dolphins trading up, drafting a QB

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Most of us have moved on to the Dolphins not getting a quarterback in the NFL draft now that the Jets hopped to the third spot and the Bills, with the 12th pick, loom with ammo to move ahead of the Dolphins’ 11th pick.
But hold on. MMQB’s Peter King presents a scenario where the Dolphins move up and get their quarterback.
“Let’s say the Dolphins love Baker Mayfield, which is apparently the case. Let’s say the Dolphins are uncomfortable counting on Ryan Tannehill for the long term, in large part because he’s missed 19 straight games with injuries, and the Dolphins know they can’t sit at 11 with their scheduled pick because the four good quarterbacks will likely be gone. And let’s say the Colts, with the sixth overall pick, would be comfortable moving down to Miami’s pick at 11, Indy figuring if it can pick up another second-round pick at least, it would be worth it. (Really, the Colts are not just comfortable doing this. They want to do this.) So let’s slot Rosen to Miami with the sixth pick, and now all the primo quarterbacks are gone. And the Colts have turned the third overall pick at the start of March into the 11th—and added four second-round picks in the process. Five prime prospects instead of one excellent one. GM Chris Ballard would love that trade.”
Maybe it works that way. The question is who the Colts would want with the Dolphins’ 11th pick rather than the Bills’ 12th pick. And if the Dolphins would take that player. Because otherwise Buffalo would have more chips to trade with two No. 1 picks, two No. 2 picks and two third-round picks.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...aveHyde-blog+(Dave+Hyde+|+Sun+Sentinel+blogs)

Mike TBag: "Hello? Indy? I'd like to inquire about moving up"

Chris Ballard: "Well, we'd have to take your first and probably a second, that'd definitely get a deal done"

Mike TBag: "How about this....I trade you my first this year, my 2nd this year, my first next year, and a conditional 3rd that can turn into a 1st the year after?"

Chris Ballard: "Well, um...if you put it that way...you've got yourself a deal!"

Mike TBag: *hangs up phone* "SCORE!"

Peter King is such a fool (in more ways than one). I will say it again, there is no way in hell Miami is moving up in the first round for a qb. If they do, it will prove to the world that this organization is even more inept than I already believe them to be. You don't restructure your present starting quarterback's contract pushing million's of dollars of cap hit into the future if you plan on giving up valuable draft assets to draft his replacement. Even Mike Tannnenbaum can't be that stupid.

Restructuring Thill would be a good smokescreen. That's why it's not possible coming from Miami's braintrust.

Peter King is such a fool (in more ways than one). I will say it again, there is no way in hell Miami is moving up in the first round for a qb. If they do, it will prove to the world that this organization is even more inept than I already believe them to be. You don't restructure your present starting quarterback's contract pushing million's of dollars of cap hit into the future if you plan on giving up valuable draft assets to draft his replacement. Even Mike Tannnenbaum can't be that stupid.

TBum.jpg

I just don't see us trading up at all unless MAYBE Barkley or Chubb some how fall which could happen if QBs start flying off the board early. Who the hell knows, with T Bum running that show, anything is possible and wouldn't surprise me. I will be pissed if we trade up for Nelson.

Back
Top Bottom