Hyde5: Allen And Mayfield There For Dolphins? Mcshay Thinks So | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hyde5: Allen And Mayfield There For Dolphins? Mcshay Thinks So

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Let’s start your morning off with a smile, Dolphins fans.
ESPN draftnik Todd McShay’s latest mock draft provides good news — well, mock-good news, anyway. He thinks the Dolphins can stand at 11th overall and have their choice of two quarterbacks, Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield. Read it and weep in euphoria. Most everyone else disagrees, including his ESPN cohort, Mel Kiper, who has Cleveland drafting Allen first overall in his latest mock. The Sun-Sentinel’s Omar Kelly has Mayfield going third overall to the Jets, but Allen going 12th to Buffalo.
Whether this is creative thinking, inside knowledge or just draftniks who has run out through all the other more popular mock-draft scenarios isn’t sure. McShay provides the most positive scenario for the Dolphins, writing:
“The Dolphins have been linked to Mayfield, but if Allen was still available at 11, Miami would have to pounce. The Dolphins simply can't trust Ryan Tannehill to stay on the field. …”
Let’s say the obvious: If Mayfield and Allen are there when the Dolphins pick, the front office will do a conga line down to hand in their pick. Mayfield or Allen being available would be good and surprising news at No. 11.
Mayfield and Allen?
Get the conga line ready.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...aveHyde-blog+(Dave+Hyde+|+Sun+Sentinel+blogs)

This is why this draft is going to be so much fun. As for the premise, If I were a betting man I’d say no chance of either QB being there. I believe Rosen could slide but someone will trade ahead of us.

Call me crazy but I actually think that Barkley could slide, and only because of the position he plays. Not saying it will happen, but if all the QBs go high and there is a run on defensive players, it is a possibility.
He would be hard to pass up.

Reactions: BSQ
Allen would make sense for the Fins, in the sense that he could sit on the bench for a few years behind Tannehill...it's a perfect landing spot for him, much better than a place like Cleveland or the Jets/Donkos/etc. would be.

Allen would make sense for the Fins, in the sense that he could sit on the bench for a few years behind Tannehill...it's a perfect landing spot for him, much better than a place like Cleveland or the Jets/Donkos/etc. would be.

Maybe. Doesn't make sense the way McShay puts it though. "Have to draft Allen if hes there because they can't count on Tannehill in longer". Allen is far from a NFL ready QB. So if they can't count on Tannehill in his mind, then they better draft Mayfield over Allen.

Aww man DK made a huge brain fart, he quoted an article with Omars name in it. Ive been reading where some redflags are being thrown out with Mayfield i.e. handsize and agility. I say if they are both their at 11, we trade down a spot with our good buddy's the Buffalo Bills, they aint gonna give up a lot to move up one spot, but I could see us getting their low 3rd. or if Arizona really wants their QB then they might be willing to get up something nice to jump ahead of the bills and get their choice of QB's. I dunno im not on the QB bandwagon, I think it would be a nice pick to dangle though if they both fell

Maybe. Doesn't make sense the way McShay puts it though. "Have to draft Allen if hes there because they can't count on Tannehill in longer". Allen is far from a NFL ready QB. So if they can't count on Tannehill in his mind, then they better draft Mayfield over Allen.

Yeah, Allen isn't a guy I'd throw in there Day 1 with the bullets flying around him. Dude needs some refinement....he's raw as hell.

That would be a pretty big surprise. I think it's more likely we see quarterbacks go in the first four picks. Not saying that will happen, but it's a possibility.

And by his logic, why shouldn't the Colts draft him? I have more doubts about Luck getting back to healthy than I do about Tannehill. Luck hasn't thrown a football in almost a full year.

I expect Tannehill to be in his best possible shape he could be in come OTAS. His rushing percentage is going to dip, which squanders his most elite trait of throwing on the run. Tannehill is still solid in the pocket, and with a better line I think he can still give ya 17+ TDs....

That said, the running game HAS to be on point to give him a chance to not be ran over every series. Why I'm expecting a back in the first 4 rounds.

So, all that being said, I think all those questions point towards a QB early. Can't walk into the season like last year.

I expect Tannehill to be in his best possible shape he could be in come OTAS. His rushing percentage is going to dip, which squanders his most elite trait of throwing on the run. Tannehill is still solid in the pocket, and with a better line I think he can still give ya 17+ TDs....

That said, the running game HAS to be on point to give him a chance to not be ran over every series. Why I'm expecting a back in the first 4 rounds.

So, all that being said, I think all those questions point towards a QB early. Can't walk into the season like last year.

17 touchdowns? I am a huge Tannehill supporter, but if he only throws 17 touchdowns I would be an advocate of moving on from him.

I would not take either. Both have red flags, Allen especially.
I would not even take Darnold at 11 who had a fantastic season in 2016, because his 2017 season is a red flag. Lamar is in the same boat for me, red flags.
None of these QBs were national champs to warrant a leap of faith over red flags.

If they wanted a good QB they should’ve signed AJ McCarron. But they did not. They signed Osweiler, which speaks to instability of their process.

Would we not rather have McCarron in Miami and Osweiler in Buffalo? The answer is yes we would. We do not want the division rivals to have a chance or hope. And we certainly want to improve our qb room.

When it comes to the draft the same applies. They should want a qb with great production and zero red flags, to improve our qb room and to prevent the competition from having hope. If the rivals draft a qb with red flags they will have harder time. That’s what we want.

The one QB in this draft who has zero red flags and great production is Rudolph. That’s who the Phins’ FO should target at 11. It helps us, and kills hope for the competition. Now, imagine if we got both McCarron and Rudolph. Bills would have no hope.

Same applies to NE. Phins should do everything in their power to make their succession plan more difficult. Let them draft a QB with issues. This is a historic yr in the AFCE for quarterbacks, and the Phins must play the game to the times we live in.

Even if they draft a QB at 11 it does not mesn he will be a success. It takes organizational commitment for that as well. I have my doubts about unstable Adam Gase and quarterbacks. But if they select a QB with zero red flags and great production, they give themselves the best chance and they take away that chance from the rivals, in this historic year.
That’s why the pick must be Rudolph at 11.

Back
Top Bottom