Hyde5: Why Dolphins Should (really) Want Giants To Take A Qb | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hyde5: Why Dolphins Should (really) Want Giants To Take A Qb

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
The chances of a quarterback dropping to the Dolphins?
Not good.
It will be one with the most warts, too. Josh Rosen? But take the one drawing the most talk. Baker Mayfield. He’s a magnetic name. Dolphins coach Adam Gase seems to be head-over-heels on him. Or it’s all smoke. Who knows?
Disclosure: I’m not grading here. I’m no draftnik. The lovers of Mayfield point to his off-the-charts leadership, winning attitude, strong arm and the fact similarly undersized 6-foot Drew Brees and 5-11 Russell Wilson are succeeding. All true. All alluring.
Those questioning him as a top pick point out Brees and Wilson are athletic freaks to accommodate for his size, while Mayfield isn’t as athletic. Wilson has played minor-league baseball. Brees threw 88 mph as a high-school pitcher, played three sports and even beat Andy Roddick twice in tennis (OK, he was 12 and Roddick was 9).
Mayfield was a walk-on in college who hasn’t shown great athletic tendency. He runs a 4.81 in the 40-yard dash (OK, Brees ran a 4.83 in his combine, too, while Wilson ran a 4.55). Maybe Mayfield’s uniqueness is his mind — at the combine he had the second-highest score ever by a quarterback in the NFL’s Athletic Intelligence Quotient.
Would the Dolphins take Mayfield at 11th? Probably. Would they take Josh Rosen if he was at 11th? I can’t answer that. One of them could fall, too. It’s more probable neither do. And that’s why, as a Dolphins fan, you really want the Giants to take a quarterback with the second pick. Why?
Because the Jets will take a quarterback third overall.
Because the Bills will be trading up for a quarterback, too.
And because their options will be limited if the Giants take a quarterback.
These are the teams the Dolphins are trying to stay ahead of in the AFC East, too. You don’t want them to get the better options. And you really want Buffalo to have to spend a lot of those collected draft picks.
So how would this break down? Let’s run through the scenario of the Giants taking – and then not taking a quarterback.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...aveHyde-blog+(Dave+Hyde+|+Sun+Sentinel+blogs)

Miami has three options in this quarterback class.

If they have a conviction on one of the top four, try to move up. This is going to be costly with Buffalo positioned to deal up as well. If the teams hits on quarterback, though, the cost will probably seem low three or four years down the line. That position is just so critical. I think this is a tricky quarterback class, though. Rosen looks best on tape, but he's had two concussions and I keep reading that scouts question his love for the game. My top guy is Mayfield, probably followed by Rosen. Allen and Jackson are gamble on greatness types.

Option two, if you are unable to deal up, take a gamble on greatness with someone like Jackson at #11. That's assuming he makes it there. Adam Gase's best attribute might be his work with quarterbacks. Jackson could be an absolute star in the right system and I can only imagine what he could do in a RPO type offense with his ability to take off and get chunk yards. Jackson, in the open field, is like a running back. Gase could run empty sets and Miami could still have a running game. No guarantees, of course, and he has a ways to go with footwork and mechanics. In Miami, he could wait a year or even two behind Ryan Tannehill.

The third option is to take a developmental guy later. Sometimes those players end up outperforming the top guys. White, Falk or a number of others in the mid to late rounds.

Back
Top Bottom