Hypothetically...IF Madison doesn't redo his contract... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hypothetically...IF Madison doesn't redo his contract...

Gladsadmad

Active Roster
Reaction score
..and IF he was cut on June 1st, can Miami still be a player in free agency?

If the rumors are true that Miami might look for a top free agent CB to replace Madison (McAllister?..Woodson?)and then drop him after June 1st for cap reasons..will the Fins have enough cap space to upgrade in other areas?

This has to be the best year for potential free-agent CB's I've ever seen. Not since Deion Sanders was a FA..have I seen the quality available this year. Woodson, McAllister, Bailey (trade), Winfield (solid), Fernando Bryant, Bobby Taylor and Ahmed Plummer. Some of them have weaknesses, but the ones that aren't elite certainly wouldn't ask for "Madison" money.

I just don't see how Miami..even if they wanted to replace Madison..could pull it off..and still upgrade the o-line or WR's.

I'm sure it's just a ploy by the front office to get him to rework his deal.

need clump to tell us exactly how much money madison would free up, then we would know how much we could allocate to a corner...

however, i can probably guarantee that CB wouldnt be mcalister as he is said to be close to a huge deal with the ravens and wont even hit the FA market. Lions/falcons/vikes would probably all beat us to champ, nor should we give up those picks for him so thats fine. I personally feel bobby taylor is overrated and would be upset if we placed sam with him or fernando bryant. Troy vincent is already beggint to play in carolina... That leaves shawn springs, ahmad plummer, winfield, woodson in my eyes. 2 of which could be franchise tagged. Winfield is solid since he can cover and tackle, not a big INT guy though, woodson no one ever throws at so it would be awesome to have woodson and surtain, theyd have to throw to the TE all game. Plummer i don't know enough about.

all that being said, whether we can still upgrade the oline/wr would depend on exactly how much money cutting sam would free up, also, i wouldn't cut him unless i KNEW i had one of those guys locked up.

Yes. This would save $6.3 million on the 2004 cap. However, the cream of the FA crop would no longer be available.

If I were your GM, I would tell him he need to take a $2 million pay cut this season. (If released he would save about the same amount). If he refused, I would offer him to the Texans for Henson. If they said no, then I would offer him to the highest bidder. At best, you would be looking at a 3rd or 4th rd pick. I would then use the cap space from future years to re-sign O-Gun to long term contract. He would have been tendered at the highest level and state that offer sheets would most likely be matched after the full 7 day waiting period (forces other team to hold the cap space of the offer sheet)

Yes, you would need to find a new CB but

1) You kept the younger "star" player for similiar cap dollars at a difficult position to fill

2) This is basicially a cap neutral move for the Fins

3) Regain some cap flexibility

4) regain some leverage in negotiations

Barring a trade as Clump mentioned..nothing will happen with Madison. If Miami planned to cut him June 1st, they would have to sign a replacement CB early in free agency...then they would no cap room..it wouldn't make sense.

I hope they can pull a trade...free up the cap room..and then sign a top-notch CB replacement. Who wouldn't want to sign w/ Miami?..we have a very good D...and he could play with Surtain.

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
Yes. This would save $6.3 million on the 2004 cap. However, the cream of the FA crop would no longer be available.

If I were your GM, I would tell him he need to take a $2 million pay cut this season. (If released he would save about the same amount). If he refused, I would offer him to the Texans for Henson. If they said no, then I would offer him to the highest bidder. At best, you would be looking at a 3rd or 4th rd pick. I would then use the cap space from future years to re-sign O-Gun to long term contract. He would have been tendered at the highest level and state that offer sheets would most likely be matched after the full 7 day waiting period (forces other team to hold the cap space of the offer sheet)

Yes, you would need to find a new CB but

1) You kept the younger "star" player for similiar cap dollars at a difficult position to fill

2) This is basicially a cap neutral move for the Fins

3) Regain some cap flexibility

4) regain some leverage in negotiations

OR...we could offer SD Madison and the rights to O-gun, and probably our first from next year (or this year). In the process, you take the hit all this year but...

YOu don't need to come up wtih the tender/resign money for O-gun, and you don't need to restructure Jay (to resign him) because we have our #1 QB in Eli Manning :D

I don't believe you need to replace him with a "top-notch" CB.

Some of that cap space could be used for a contract extension on someone like Chambers

If I'm SD, a team who has recently invested heavily in the secondary, I do not do this trade. SD has some serious cap issues as well, thus I doubt they could pull the deal off anyhoo

But it's a good deal for us :) and there's always Arz. to push this deal to

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
That's true :lol:

Just think about it. We could have the #1 pick possibly for a #1 pick next year (at worst a #20 pick) and 2 players that are leaving ANYWAY, and totally get rid of his cap hit for next year.....

and here we are on the verge of nailing Rammsey.......:cry:

thats great in your dream world, or madden...but in reality it just won't happen

Originally posted by Dolphins17-0
thats great in your dream world, or madden...but in reality it just won't happen

Yeah, i can see where Solving a teams defensive problems by giving them a player that's worth a first and a third rounder, and a CB that's still one of the best in the NFL, and a future #1 pick, for a single pick that will help our franchise out is a bad thing for both parties involved.

Fact is, it's time for some chages. At least TRYING to bark up this tree would be nice. But instead, we're going to settle for a "proven" QB of questionable talent, instead of taking the #1 QB in the draft, or a frakishly accurate #3 QB instead of chasing after the gold

I'm damn tired of "setteling" can't we just go for the gold for once?

solving a teams defensive problems? They already have good defensive ends, aging, but still got years left in em. They just spent a bunch of draft picks on a very talented secondary group Kiel, Jammer, Davis, Florence have a lot of potential, but they have to be on the field to meet that potential, they wont bench their young guys that they invested a lot in for an overpaid sam madison AND give up the #1 overall pick on top of it when they could easily use Eli manning, or Robert Gallery more than they could use ogun and madison

Originally posted by Dolphins17-0
solving a teams defensive problems? They already have good defensive ends, aging, but still got years left in em. They just spent a bunch of draft picks on a very talented secondary group Kiel, Jammer, Davis, Florence have a lot of potential, but they have to be on the field to meet that potential, they wont bench their young guys that they invested a lot in for an overpaid sam madison AND give up the #1 overall pick on top of it when they could easily use Eli manning, or Robert Gallery more than they could use ogun and madison

Really? Very talented defense? What changed? Last year when Griese picked them apart they had according to many people "the worst secondary in the league". Their defense is horrible, it's no secret, that's what they need.

Back
Top Bottom