I am changing my mind... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I am changing my mind...

dolfan87

The Human Bullet
Reaction score
...about who I think would be best for the O.C. job.

Mike Shula has been the QB coach, and knows the system. Not only that he has been around the players for a year, and knows their weaknesses, and strengths. Who better to step in and make a smooth transfer from Gailey.

His talent as an O.C. should not be judged from his Tampa Bay days, as there hasn't been a single successful O.C in Tampa since Dungy took over. Maybe it was Dungy's quiet iron fist that hasn't allowed a coach on that side of the ball be creative?

While I think Norv would do an outstanding job, my gut is starting to tell me that Shula would be the better choice.

I have no solid proof of this, it's just a feeling. Of course maybe I ate some bad chili. :D

i dunno - 87

I want some changes on O that require a change in philosophy. #1 we need to get the ball to Minor and CC a lot more. We need to bring back the days when Kirby, Crash and Nathan would get 60+ receptions as outlets on 3rd down.
#2 we need to throw short passes on 1st down to the backs more often.

i don't even remember shulas...............

tampa days, but i have heard he's more conservative. the explosive receivers we have, that kind of thinking won't help at all!:eek:

Originally posted by FFiB

how do you know?

Have you ever seen Tampa Bay's offense when he was the OC there. Can you say BORING! and CONSERVATIVE! Our WRs don't fit in a conservative offense, espicially when we can't run.

See that's what I mean FFIB, Dungy has had three different O.C's, and they all ran the same boring offense. I am wondering if it was more Dungy telling the O.C's what he wanted.

You would have to think that Shula watching guys like Minor, and Chambers, plus coaching Fiedler all year, he would KNOW what the offense can do.

Hey I could be way off, but at least Mike wouldn't be here for a year, then off to the next head coaching position offered to him.
Norv is going to bolt as soon as someone wants him for a H.C, and then we are starting over again.

Just thoughts to ponder. :)

Originally posted by dolfan87
Hey I could be way off, but at least Mike wouldn't be here for a year, then off to the next head coaching position offered to him.
Norv is going to bolt as soon as someone wants him for a H.C, and then we are starting over again. Just thoughts to ponder. :)

Good point 87! :) I would support Mike Shula! :)

You do make a good point 87. When Shula was in Tampa he didn't have a very explosive offense to work with. No KEyshawn, a few young inexpeirenced wrs who turned out to be flops, Trent Dilfer ar qb, a solid running game, and a defense that could win by them selves. I deffinitly think that Dungy put his OCs in hand cuffs when it came to opening things up.

Never gave it much thought, but now that you mention it 87, thats good ground to stand on! Another way to look at it is, give Norv a year, and see what he can do, then if he bolts, we still have Shula to fall back on. I feel ya 100% though!

Very true PhinPhan, that is why I would still be happy to see Norv come to town.

I guess it is what you call a possible win/win situation

Yes and there was a reason...

Originally posted by iceblizzard69

Have you ever seen Tampa Bay's offense when he was the OC there. Can you say BORING! and CONSERVATIVE! Our WRs don't fit in a conservative offense, espicially when we can't run.

... for how and why Mike Shu's had to call the type of plays he called in Tampa. He OC'd under a similar type HC in Dungy as he would if he was named OC in Miami with Wanny. However I think Wanny has finally reached the time and place that he will allow whoever the OC is to call whatever plays he wants to call so long as the rushing attack is featured in some positive manor.

I am not that HIGH on Turner myself, nor Mike Shu's, but more so Mike Shu's than Norv.

If I had the choice to make I would bring a WCO guy and let Jay, Chambers and Minor attempt to rip the NFL a new one. These guys could be a very nice threesome IMO.

Oliver...

Originally posted by Dajesus
You do make a good point 87. When Shula was in Tampa he didn't have a very explosive offense to work with. No KEyshawn, a few young inexpeirenced wrs who turned out to be flops, Trent Dilfer ar qb, a solid running game, and a defense that could win by them selves. I deffinitly think that Dungy put his OCs in hand cuffs when it came to opening things up.

He is gonna have a very open offense in Indy this year.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
He is gonna have a very open offense in Indy this year.
Indy's problem in 2001 w/o EJ was that they had an open O. If they just handed it off to Rhodes and kept that miserable D off the field, they may have been OK. It will be interesting to see what Dungy does.

Back
Top Bottom