I believe that our defensive schemes and players have... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I believe that our defensive schemes and players have...

raving

Active Roster
Reaction score
I believe that our defensive schemes and players have lacked the KILLER instinct the past few seasons...

The system we have in place is a finnesse system...designed to utilize Zach's outstanding quickness...Big, quick, explosive defensive interior linemen are used to force teams to the edges...What I would like to see more of is using our linebackers to create havock in the opposing teams backfields...This does not require an inordinate amount of blitzing, nor does it require extraordinary risk taking...In fact the opposite...But what we lack is an attitude that leads to players eating gun powder before the game such that they play like rabid dogs with a chip on their shoulder...

One thing I noticed quite a bit toward the middle and end of the season was how Jason Taylor was double teamed...Taylor started slow he seemed out of rhythim a bit in first 3 or 4 games but then he came on strong...Ogun usually had one to beat...Taylor often broke down blocking schemes and was held (usually called but sometimes not) and this often helped Ogun beat the one he had to in order get to the QB...It seems that a sensible D -coordinator could exploit these tendancies with our athletic Linebackers - (even though I do not know the technical aspect of defensive schemes since I never played organized football I will put out this idea) As teams set to protect or even attack Taylor with two players Taylor's assignments could be adjusted to frustrate opponents such that they are committed to a guy who simply sucks them out of the play and a LB or Two could blitz from Oguns side...

Regardless of my formal football training this much I do know...This defense needs to be far more aggressive at times...It also needs to look to put opposing QB off the field for the rest of the day or even season...I have seen Ogun and Taylor take QBs down like they are going to ask them out on a date after the play...I say forget that, our coaches need to be in our players faces stating that even when you have an opportunity to back off do not...Crumble them - end careers - put the fear of G-d into the next opponent's hearts...We have the man power and the athleticism to rock other teams - and I'd take or should I say actually desire a flag or two or a fine or two...Brady needs to have his head handed to him repeatedly...Pennington needs to be talking about what he's gonna do after football from the Pro Player Field locker room."Let's meet the 2nd stringer" should be our motto!

I believe that we need a team philosophy that looks more like the Ravens, or like the Giants in the LT days or the Bears in 85...Or even like our own Dolphins of the late 70's and early 80's...

I cannot stand the amount of times refs give our opponents the call in our defensive backfield - but if we are going to get called for this malarky then I say lets do it right...Hold a guy in our defensive backfield and create a need for an ambulance on the field in their backfield...

When we had AJ Duhe he was used all over the field to wreak havoc - and in the short time that Hugh Green played prior to his massive knee injury he too was used in a highly creative fashion...Bill Arnsparger was masterful at maximizing the talent that he had...

We do not have Bill although I long for his ingenious influence - I say that this team lacks a spirit that will make a champion...

Hoping that I am wrong and looking for that spark that puts this team in a really really bad mood!

Ranting and Raving we fell on his neck with a scream!

The Bucs used a similiar scheme and it won them a super bowl.

We CAN'T blitz...Seau is the only good one at it and he's a little slower..I'll address your post later..

C'mon now.Our defense "a finesse team".Thats like saying our defense are like ballet dancers.It may have been the case some years ago but not now.The NFL is coming out with the "Dolphin rule"this year because teams have been complaining of the in your face DBs who "chuck" the receivers off their stride as they come off their stance.Do you honestly think JT and Ogun and DTs or LBs are finnese players.?I agree that the defense sometimes loses its concentration resulting in missed tackles but its because they are afraid to hit.

Our defense should be #1 in the league, it should have been for a good 3 or 4 years now. On paper we have more big names on defense than anyone in the league. Unfortunately these guys sometimes seem.. to not be on the same page, and then they choose the worst times not to show up. If these guys were to come out with the killer instict they should be, we would easily be the #1 defense.

It would be great if we had a coach that could light a fire under these guys asses right before game time. But unfortunately we have Wanny :(

i remember sounding like a broken record last year during a phins game... on offense "GIVE IT TO RICKY.... DAMMIT FIEDLER U SUCK" and on defense "BLITZ THE FRIGGIN QB....PUT SOME PRESSURE DONT JUST LET HIM SIT BACK THERE!!" of course i often decorated those statements with some very colorful words but the point is that i remember calling on blitzes very often, the blitz helps the d-line and db's, when the o-line cant double JT or TIMBO then they can create havoc even if our LB's are "too slow" we can still create pressure and pressure creates poor passes which leads to more INT's which leads to more phin fan jubilation! our lack of blitzing is the reason madison started to get burned, JT couldnt get to the QB, and our terrible LB coverage was exposed... we gotta do something about that this year.

Our defense's only major problem IMO is making tackles after the catch.

Our offense concerns me way more than the D. Better offense would equal better defense too because the guys on D would have sometime to catch thier breath, and could get pumped when an int they made goes for 6. (See the 03 colts game for how NOT to do this.)

BuGaLoU said:
Our defense's only major problem IMO is making tackles after the catch.

Our offense concerns me way more than the D.QUOTE]

IMO it's more important that our defense, stays top 5. Dolphins D is the anchor of the team. Without it we have no chance of even making the playoffs. Our D is the only reason we've even been comepetitive these last two years. But I see what you're saying. ;)

I don't think it would hurt our D, to work with some new schemes, and some added blitzing. Not only could they blitz the LB on occasion. But also come with the safetys as well at times.

I think the fact that we have such a vanilla defense is the reason why we aren't the top defense. I think if we want to be the top defense we need to let these guys have some fun, try new things, and get them fired up!

Back
Top Bottom