I believe we will cut both Griese and Fiedler...who gets resigned? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I believe we will cut both Griese and Fiedler...who gets resigned?

NYPhinFan

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
I have no doubt with the cap numbers of both that they both will be cut...is there a chance one will be resigned and which one will fit us better?.Not trying to rehash all that Jay/Brian stuff again...just if we can't get a decent vet..like Brunell...do we take a chance on keeping one of them and drafting a young QB. I think no matter what we do...whover the QB is..the OFFLINE has to be upgraded automatically.
I think that out of the 2...I would take Brian back(was very disappointed in his play last year)..but would like to see what he can do with an o-line and healthy. I think the thought of bringing Jay back would just drive almost everyone crazy here(even though I think he would make a good backup)...again..not trying to get this thing going again...just wondering if we all are not taking into consideration that one of these 2 will be back.

if anything they'll keep Jay......if you want to see what BG can do with a great O-line and when 'healthy' look at what he did in Denver....there's a reason they took a multi-million hit to get rid of him and I think we saw that reason this past season.

It may drive people crazy here to have Jay back, even in a #2 role, but he would be an excellent backup to Brunell or someone else (after losing the #1 spot in training camp, his contract worked so he is compensated depending upon which slot he earns or # of games started, snaps played etc.).

Originally posted by jbond
if anything they'll keep Jay......if you want to see what BG can do with a great O-line and when 'healthy' look at what he did in Denver....there's a reason they took a multi-million hit to get rid of him and I think we saw that reason this past season.

It may drive people crazy here to have Jay back, even in a #2 role, but he would be an excellent backup to Brunell or someone else (after losing the #1 spot in training camp, his contract worked so he is compensated depending upon which slot he earns or # of games started, snaps played etc.).

A. Jay's head is too big to be a backup (not to metion his ears).
B. The reason BG was out of Denver was two fold. BG had trouble dealing with following Elway and dealing with the Rat. The Rat likes to control everything and liked the idea of turing around Jake the Fake to show what a great coach he is.
C. Jay has made a winning team lose. The team is better on paper every year and he makes sure we are further from the playoffs every year.
D. Bg should have a full preseason to show what he may be able to do. If not Brunell I say BG should get the nod next year.

Just say no to Jay!!

Speilman a while back after he took over was talking about what we are going to do at QB and left open the possibility of Jay staying and us getting a young QB. Griese was never even mentioned

Re: Re: I believe we will cut both Griese and Fiedler...who gets resigned?

Originally posted by dolphan39
Speilman a while back after he took over was talking about what we are going to do at QB and left open the possibility of Jay staying and us getting a young QB. Griese was never even mentioned

Jay is gone.

The coaches have indirectly said this in a number of ways.
That along with the presence of Dan Marino who has never been impressed with Fiedler sinches his departure IMO.

Thanks for the memories! :D
See Ya!

Re: Re: Re: I believe we will cut both Griese and Fiedler...who gets resigned?

Originally posted by Trekbiz

Jay is gone.

That along with the presence of Dan Marino who has never been impressed with Fiedler sinches his departure IMO.

Thanks for the memories! :D
See Ya!

Do you have a few links, this isn't the impression i've been given. I believe Jay will restructure in exchange for a shot at the starter position. Hopefully he has to compete with Brunell and then i sincerly believe he will be beat out.

But I honestly don't think he will be given a fair shot no matter what he's told if he does restructure.

Jay makes a solid backup, noone can argue that. I'm not sure if Miami would be willing to sacrafice a good backup if he's willing to restructure. Esspecially if we bring in another QB over 30.

Re: Re: Re: I believe we will cut both Griese and Fiedler...who gets resigned?

Originally posted by Trekbiz

Jay is gone.

that too has been said

The Dolphins seem likely to part ways with first- and second-string quarterbacks Jay Fiedler and Brian Griese in the offseason if they are able to acquire a veteran starter via free agency or a trade.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...an22,0,3094415.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

and makes sense with both their ridiculous contracts. I just remember Speilman starting an uproar here a while back when he said Jay c/b back

Can't afford to keep Jay, he's due a $2million roster bonus - meaning if he isn't going to start, and I don't think anyone is convinced he will, it's too much money to risk.

Ding Dong the Witch is Gone!!!!

Originally posted by FinsOnTop
Can't afford to keep Jay, he's due a $2million roster bonus - meaning if he isn't going to start, and I don't think anyone is convinced he will, it's too much money to risk.

Ding Dong the Witch is Gone!!!!
at think it is a given that Jay w/only return if he re-negotiated his contract. Though that has never been explicitly stated by the FO

Re: Re: Re: Re: I believe we will cut both Griese and Fiedler...who gets resigned?

Originally posted by dolphan39
that too has been said

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...an22,0,3094415.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

and makes sense with both their ridiculous contracts. I just remember Speilman starting an uproar here a while back when he said Jay c/b back

Everyone and their mother has seen that article......

It in no way represents any ideas that miami will want Fiedler gone this season, just offers insight and entertaines the idea that we may want to Grab a Franchise QB this Draft.

Again, I would appreciate a link, quoting our coaches directly or indirectly stateing that fiedler will be gone next season.

Drafting a QB in the first round does not signal that Jay will not be with the team next season, nor does bringing in a veteran QB via free agency. While the team may not be happy with Fiedler, chances are they appreciate what he brings to the table just a little more than you do. :tongue:

I believe we will try to rope-a-dope him into a backup role this season, and I think it's a great idea ;)

Can't release both at the same time. That would put Miami in a difficult negotiating position. Yes, they would have the starting QB spot wide open, BUT, financially (cap wise) it would be difficult because the agent would want his client paid as a #1 QB (about $4 million/season). Miami shouldn't release Fiedler until another viable option is signed and yes, they should tender Rosenfels and keep him for at least another year

Originally posted by dreadlockera

A. Jay's head is too big to be a backup (not to metion his ears).
B. The reason BG was out of Denver was two fold. BG had trouble dealing with following Elway and dealing with the Rat. The Rat likes to control everything and liked the idea of turing around Jake the Fake to show what a great coach he is.
C. Jay has made a winning team lose. The team is better on paper every year and he makes sure we are further from the playoffs every year.
D. Bg should have a full preseason to show what he may be able to do. If not Brunell I say BG should get the nod next year.

Just say no to Jay!!
Jay's head wasn't too big when he signed his last contract knowing he would never see the big money unless he performed exceptionally well. As a matter of fact it was a completely unselfish move altogether......

What has Jay done to make you think he wouldn't accept a back-up role?.....(keep in mind that I will show you a direct quote FROM Jay saying that he WOULD be willing to take a back-up role if he were beaten out fair and square.......)

Or was that comment made just to prop up the lame and tired ear joke???

Last edited:
Originally posted by gunn34
Jay said he will not be a backup...I heard it here first.

No he said he won't just give up the starting job and take a backup role without being able to prove he's better. He said he doesn't mind competing for the starting job, but doesn't expect to be a backup without being beat-out by actual play.

Back
Top Bottom