I did a little bit of studying on the 2001 draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I did a little bit of studying on the 2001 draft

Jaj

What you say?
Reaction score
Yes I know you think of Chambers and Fletcher.

After two years I think I finally found Miami's war plan, a brilliant but shallow one.

Our original intent after seeing Santana Moss was a lost battle, was Deuce McAllister. Yes Deuce McCallister. Matches our system very well and we were thinking about a RB to replace Smith soon.

What happened was after Detroit at 18 went with Backus we though that he had the guy. No other team in the next few picks was willing to spend a 1 on a RB.

The Saints basically screwed our draft and Wanny did not have enough time to put his hands through his hair and re-group.:lol:

The Fletcher pick was an entirely panicked one. We simply listened to the ESPN board basically at who was the highest remaining player left. I am serious.:yell:

We saw Chambers our next important guy might be taken at 53 by New Orleans again, so we screwed them and traded for Chambers.

Finally I find out what the hell our war plan was.

3rd we were planning OL and LB, but with no RB in the first we went Minor and Greenwood.

Day 2 was a crap shoot...

Considering the way this season is going look for another late first round pick which of course becomes a crap shoot no matter which way you go.

Nah just another idiot team picking up something they have a really good player in. I don't know maybe the Browns picking a WR or something, cuz that is how bad the Saints taking a RB then was.

so simple, its brilliant...

but it only adds an extra layer of disappointment

:hitself:

Originally posted by Jaj
The Fletcher pick was an entirely panicked one. We simply listened to the ESPN board basically at who was the highest remaining player left. I am serious.:yell:

I hope you didn't invest too much time into that one.

There are 4 or 5 men within the Dolphin organization called "scouts" who drive tirelessly to every "back country bumfuqed egypt" place possible just to watch a prospect.

The exact opposite happened in 2003. Steinbach was picked an instead of picking the best available player. We looked at our list and picked a name meant for later.

My response to the scout statement. The scouts don't make the pick decision. Wanny takes the info along with Spielman and decides.:rolleyes: It was a joke. For sure I know that there was some suprise in that office at pick #23.

Is the entire post a joke?

Our pick was actually going to be Willie Middlebrooks who the Broncos took. The team then considered 5 further players, Drew Brees, Chris Chambers, Jamar Fletcher and Tommy Polley and Deuce McAlister. They took Fletcher and got Chambers in 2. That's what happened and that's what their plan was.

Originally posted by Boomer
Our pick was actually going to be Willie Middlebrooks who the Broncos took. The team then considered 5 further players, Drew Brees, Chris Chambers, Jamar Fletcher and Tommy Polley and Deuce McAlister. They took Fletcher and got Chambers in 2. That's what happened and that's what their plan was.

Then why did they offer the Steelers(#16) a 1st/3rd/6th for their pick, in order to select Santana Moss? The Jets offered the same, but they picked 19 and we picked 26.

Trust me, I researched the hell out of that 2001 draft.

I still have the papers from the Herald and Sun-Sentinel.

April 27th(the day after):
"Dallas was on the clock at pick no.52, and New Orleans picked at no.53. The Saints called me to tell me that they would go ahead and pick me at no.53. I got a phone call from Miami saying that they traded up to no.52 with 30 seconds left for Dallas' pick, and they picked me. I was stunned."
-Chris Chambers, 52nd overall selection

Originally posted by Jaj
Yes I know you think of Chambers and Fletcher.

We saw Chambers our next important guy might be taken at 53 by New Orleans again, so we screwed them and traded for Chambers.

Yes you did....we had chambers on the phone. Dallas traded back...and then traded right back up....made no sense. Oh well...i'll take our end of the deal since we got deuce and two of your 1st round picks.

Originally posted by Jaj
Nah just another idiot team picking up something they have a really good player in. I don't know maybe the Browns picking a WR or something, cuz that is how bad the Saints taking a RB then was.

As much as we didn't need a RB at the time, i was praying we'd draft deuce. He was too good of a player to pass on at that point. He should've been a top 10 pick in my book. I'm not sure if i would've taken him or tomlinson if i were the chargers. I think it worked out pretty well for us.....that pick gave us 2 first round picks. Now let's see how it works out for the bills and chiefs. i'm not too sure about that.

Wanny said the Fletcher pick was because we were exposed in our Niclkle package the year before and he was a big need. But he justifies every mistake. I remember that year there was a big Need for OL and since Backus was taken it complicated things. Fletcher owes us. A pick in the Tenn game for a winning TD? That may go a long way to righting things.

Boomer is right. Fletcher was on Miami's short list. Miami offered the trade for Moss b/c he was one the highest rated wrs on their list. Chambers was among the wrs they rated as worthy of a first round pick. I thought Chad Johnson was on the list too. When our first round pick came up Miami saw the opportunity to aquire two players on their 1st round list with their 1st and 2nd round picks. They had info that Indy was going to take Fletcher so they figured they had a better chance that Chambers would be available in the 2nd. They were right. You can say that the Fletcher pick wasn't a good one, but it wasn't b/c it was a panic pick.

Darn it man. All I know is that the Saints really screwed us over at pick 23. Atleast the Dolphins saw that Drew Brees was nothing really special. But the Dolphins were counting on pick #18. The Lions were the last team with our needs of OL, RB, and WR. So whichever one they picked we expected to pick the other two. Miami knew that they could get Chambers in the second. It was shaping up that way. The Saints just pretty much screwed us over.

Back
Top Bottom