I Don't Hate Williams | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I Don't Hate Williams

dino56

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I may get a lot of crap for saying that but I don't care. Sure I was upset like the rest of you that he decided to retire when he did. But it seems to me that Ricky is the kind of guy that does stuff on his terms and doesn't like to be held back with a bunch of rules. I wish the guy the best of luck with whatever he decides to do. If this is what makes him happy then so be it, everyone deserves to be happy. I'm not going to run out and burn my #34 jersey it will just placed in the closet along side #13. Like him or not he will always be a part of Dolphin history and that should be respected. Now it is time to see how good our depth was a running back. And hey if we suck this year at least we will be sitting good come next years draft.

dino56 said:
I may get a lot of crap for saying that but I don't care. Sure I was upset like the rest of you that he decided to retire when he did. But it seems to me that Ricky is the kind of guy that does stuff on his terms and doesn't like to be held back with a bunch of rules. I wish the guy the best of luck with whatever he decides to do. If this is what makes him happy then so be it, everyone deserves to be happy. I'm not going to run out and burn my #34 jersey it will just placed in the closet along side #13. Like him or not he will always be a part of Dolphin history and that should be respected. Now it is time to see how good our depth was a running back. And hey if we suck this year at least we will be sitting good come next years draft.

I've said it before and I'll say it again....

Yes everyone deserves to be happy.
However, Once you make a commitment to something you have a timeline in which you can back out without screwing everyone involved. Once you pass that timeline that commitment you made to countless numbers of people in this instance you have to fulfill it.

Everyone would have been dissapointed if 2 months ago Ricky said he wanted to retire but giving his team timely notice and giving them time to replace him would have been a respectable departure in which most of the fans as well as his teammates I'm sure would eventually respect him for.

The way he left, the timing of it, letting the NFL, advertisers, fans, the Dolphins organization and most importantly his teammates is dispicable, selfish and low.
That is the reason I've lost ALL respect for him not that he chose to follow what his mixed up little brain thinks he wants to do.

dino56 said:
And hey if we suck this year at least we will be sitting good come next years draft.

You really have no idea how deeply this affects this organization do you. :shakeno:

This is the type of thing that can cripple an organization for years to come.
The Fins made an investment in Ricky Williams. 2 number 1 draft picks to secure what they thought was the foundation for rebuilding their offense.
It's not only those 2 number 1 picks given up. EVERY SINGLE DECISION made from that point on was made in knowing that the RB position is solidly filled.

This team now not only has a QB problem to fill but now also a RB spot to fill.
2 of the most important positions on an entire team. One you may be able to fill in one draft but two.... I think not.

The defense can't be held intact much longer because of salary cap constraints and age. Ricky's departure may very well force Miami into the rebuilding phase next year without having been able to make one final run at a championship.

Ricky's departure may have very long lasting negative effects on this franchise and for that yes you're right he'll always be a part of Dolphins history...... just not the way your rosie view of this has it.

Ricky will be a goat in Dolphins history and rightfully so.

Ditto, these people that are bashing ricky would forget all about him after a few months if it was a career ending injury. Where are all the Oronde Gadsen fans? he was replaced with Boston and people forgot about him in less than a season. Ricky will be replaced and they'll forget their homerish indignation by the next free agency period. The guy has a right to decide to do with his life what he wants, without people thinking he's the Anti-Christ. Maybe he doesn't want to be a broken man when he's in his 40's anybody care about that? Ricky's timing was bad and it will cost the team two or three wins, the dolphins might even suck this year thanks to him, so what? Suck it up and show some class. Good luck Ricky, thanks for the time you gave us, you gave your heart 100% when you were here and some of us wish you the best.

go_fins said:
the dolphins might even suck this year thanks to him, so what?

Your entire post lost all credibility with this comment. Unbelievable.

My, we sure have some great Dolphin fans on this board.

Yeah... So what if the Dolphins suck, because Ricky Williams stabbed this team and its fans in the back... So what? :shakeno:

I agree. I am hurt, but at the same time I understand that he needs to do what is best for him. The only issue i have with it is his timing. In that aspect he screwed us and that is gonna leave a bad taste in my mouth for a while. It doesn't erase however the joy it brought me in having him on my team and how much fun it was to watch him run over people. He was my favorite back and I don't think i could start hating him even if I tried. Good luck Ricky.

I have mixed feelings. On one hand I admire someone who chooses to go against the grain. I understood he was a unique individual and that was one of the things about him I identified with. However; the timing of his "retirement" doesn't reflect the proper respect for a team that has given him a second chance in the NFL to re-structure his contract and rack up endorsements. The 'phins gave up two #1 picks which wasn't worth the investment for 2 years of non-playoff service. I believe Ricky gave everything he had on the field but 2 years and the sudden, unexpected departure doesn't satisfy his end of the deal. I wish him luck but I'll always have a bad taste in my mouth surrounding the circumstances of his pre-mature departure.

wow...we both wrote these statements at the same time...it is odd how much alike they are...I guess its true what they say about great minds

go_fins said:
Maybe he doesn't want to be a broken man when he's in his 40's anybody care about that? .

:shakeno:

He made his career choice and it's been good to him.
You make a commitment you follow through on it period.
Again, people aren't bashing his decision to retire.
It is the way and the timing he retired that was in fact shallow, self centered and irresposible.

Dolphinizzle said:
Your entire post lost all credibility with this comment. Unbelievable.

My, we sure have some great Dolphin fans on this board.

Yeah... So what if the Dolphins suck, because Ricky Williams stabbed this team and its fans in the back... So what? :shakeno:
Look, I bleed Aqua and Orange too, but it's sad to see some people calling him a ***, **** and other cheap shots like that. If it had been a career ending injury most people that are so personally insulted at the moment would forget about Ricky Williams by the next free agency period. It's not like the Dolphins were a shoe in for the SB, so what's the big deal? they were a 10-6 team, now they're more like 7-9 or 8-8. IMO it's not worth the lack of class some people have shown.

Ricky is not playing football anymore so I don't have a problem with his decision. If, however, this is/was a ploy to change teams or get more money I would be with the anti-Ricky brigade(still wouldn't say some of the stuff some ignorant peole are saying).

He is making a life choice. He doesn't want to play football? Fine. Let him be. Just hope he isn't trying to get an angle for something here. I am fine with his decision as long as he is done with football.

Trekbiz said:
You really have no idea how deeply this affects this organization do you. :shakeno:

The Fins made an investment in Ricky Williams. 2 number 1 draft picks to secure what they thought was the foundation for rebuilding their offense.
It's not only those 2 number 1 picks given up. EVERY SINGLE DECISION made from that point on was made in knowing that the RB position is solidly filled.

This team now not only has a QB problem to fill but now also a RB spot to fill.
2 of the most important positions on an entire team. One you may be able to fill in one draft but two.... I think not.

The defense can't be held intact much longer because of salary cap constraints and age. Ricky's departure may very well force Miami into the rebuilding phase next year without having been able to make one final run at a championship.

Ricky's departure may have very long lasting negative effects on this franchise and for that yes you're right he'll always be a part of Dolphins history...... just not the way your rosie view of this has it.

Ricky will be a goat in Dolphins history and rightfully so.

I do know how bad this can be for the organization. What helped me get past the negatives is I thought well what would happen if Ricky has a carrer ending injury week one of training camp. It can happen and we would be going through the same thing we are now. Yes he left us in a bad spot, just like an injury would and we have to move on. One man should not ruin your team, if your team was good to begin with. Yes Ricky was a huge part of our offense, but he was not the offense and its time we learned that. I was only trying to shed a positive light on this with the high draft choice. However I do not see that happening. We now have enough talent in my opinon to give this season a good run and be that surprise team of the year. Everyone is now couting the Dolphins out of the playoffs, why? Do they not realize that Minor is not bad, plus think about it we still have Konrad, Boston, Chambers, McMichael. Yes this hurts us but make the ajustments like we would with an injury and move on. Besides would you want Ricky out there unhappy and giving less than 100%. I would rather remember the Ricky that gave 100% every down. I for one am glad he retired vs. not giving us his all.

Trekbiz said:

We also made this deal knowing it was a huge GAMBLE. We knew Ricky wasn't "right in the head" and kind of walked to a different beat. He clearly is different than your average Joe Shmoe.

Huge suprise and disapointment, but RW was never your average dude.

I think we all should admire Ricky. It takes guts to step out and do what one really believes is his calling....smoking a bowl is one achievement that many need to realize and strive for. He's happy now and that's all that matters.

Who am I kidding, this is hilarious! This yahoo quits football because the league was going to fine him for smoking ganja and he pouts because they won't let him smoke a "plant"....this is off the Unitentional Comedy Scale...it's a perfect score! The NFL is going to test me non-stop for my entire career and if I call it quits I don't have to pay the fine (let's see that's and extra 650K I can spend on some Jamaican Red rather than fork over to Tags and crew)...sign me up, get me those papers Leigh!

Back
Top Bottom