I finally reached the point where I realized maybe coaching is the problem | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I finally reached the point where I realized maybe coaching is the problem

breckenridge55

K-STATE PHIN
Reaction score
Ok, maybe he made an explanation for this after the game but I completely am apalled by the decision DAve Wannstedt and his staff made yesterday that should have cost us the game if our defense didn't step it up and hold them to a field goal. Why on earth did we let Kendall Newson go out there to return a punt yesterday? Is it not obvious that just the way he runs with a football after a catch, like James McKnight, that he's just bound to fumble? Let alone on a punt return when he gets killed. Even Sam Simmons scares me half to death back there. We took out Minor for Simmons which I wasn't pleased with in the second, then after Simmons got hurt, instead of putting Minor back we sent in Newson who hasn't returned a punt for us all season. If you ask me the only thing a returner should do is gain positive yards and hang on to the damn ball and he's good in my book. We had that with Rogers and let him go, we have it with Minor and benched him, can someone please explain?

Simmons looks great as a punt returner. He doesn't scare me.

And Rogers was supposed to be the answer in the return game and wasn't so we cut him. He was taking a roster spot when we had guys that could bring the same "impact" than him.

Newson apparently was the best punt/kick returner ever in NFL Europe..

Hey, being the best kick returner in nfl europe is a pretty good credential......

Do you know who was the leading Punt/Kick returner in NFL europe about three years ago?

Yep........DONTE freakin' HALL

ever heard of him? I here he is pretty good.....

dude the guy just got nervouse.. he looked to run before catching the friggen ball.... the coach took a chance that could have paid off... you know like on 4th and goal.. having ricky go for it again.... that could have been over on downs.. but it ended up being 6 pts. you need to look at both sides not just whats in your face..

But taking a chance by putting an unproven kick returner back there is different. Why not just put the guy back there who has done it for us for two years now in Travis Minor, what did he do to lose the job. The fact is this, Newson is not experienced enough to return punts yet. Yes, experience comes with playing obviously but you don't put him in in the second half of a game in which you're trailing in a playoff run. Maybe if we're up by 21 in the 4th you could do it but the time to REALLY do it is PRE-SEASON. If he wasn't good enough to make the roster as a punt returner, why does Wannstedt think he's good enough to return punts now?

Originally posted by breckenridge55
But taking a chance by putting an unproven kick returner back there is different. Why not just put the guy back there who has done it for us for two years now in Travis Minor, what did he do to lose the job. The fact is this, Newson is not experienced enough to return punts yet. Yes, experience comes with playing obviously but you don't put him in in the second half of a game in which you're trailing in a playoff run. Maybe if we're up by 21 in the 4th you could do it but the time to REALLY do it is PRE-SEASON. If he wasn't good enough to make the roster as a punt returner, why does Wannstedt think he's good enough to return punts now?

Did you read any of the posts that said Newson was the leading punt returner in NFL Europe??? This was not a bad decision by the coaches. Newson was probably put in there by default - he was next in line.

This is ridiculous, had he not muffed it, you wouldn't even be saying this. It was just bad luck, and thankfully our defense was up for the challege. Certainly not a coaching blunder.

I actually felt bad that he fumbled after watching his reaction when he went back to the sideline. I didnt see a "Madison smile", I saw a disapointed,sad, "I know I could've done better" look. I say we should give him another look before we trash him.

Back
Top Bottom