I Give Saban Credit | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I Give Saban Credit

FinFan57

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I give Saban credit for his dogged pursuit of Ricky Williams. Personally, I gave up on Ricky many months ago, but Saban has never given up hope, which is an indication of his desire to bring the Dolphins back to respectability.

I now look at the Ricky fiasco as just another pile in the Wanny litter box. Saban held his nose to block the smell that we all detest so violently and came away believing that Ricky still has gas in the tank and a desire to play football. At 195 lbs, I question Ricky's current motivation, but I also have to admit that Ricky was one of the most exciting running backs I ever saw and I shouldn't question his ability to play football. Toting the rock was the ONE thing Ricky could do and do very well.

It all still seems so bizarre to me, but I admire Saban for setting his compass on W (for Winning football games) and not being distracted by the freak show we have had to endure for so many months.

I would like all football players to be model citizens and all-around good guys, but if we really believe we can hold NFL players to that standard, we are certainly living in a dreamworld. The NFL is littered with guys who should be playing on Adam Sandler's all-prison team, but have escaped that kind of wrath because of their money and celebrity. Ricky is not a bad guy, just crazier than hell. He made some bad choices and has suffered heavy criticism as a result.

Saban has artfully weaved through the red flags presented by Crowder, Boston, and now Ricky to assemble a group of very talented players that desperately need his direction and leadership.....something that was terribly lacking under Wannstedt.

Ricky should be much faster at 195...I always thought he was about 10-15 pounds too heavy...but I think he needs to bulk up and gain some weight if he is gonna come back and play.....we shall see....I was saying no way in hell Ricky ever plays for us again, but let's take a wait and see approach.

Good Post FinFan, I agree with everything you said. There are only a few coaches that I think could lead the likes of Boston, Crowder, Roth, and Ricky into battle and keep them on the right track, and Nick Saban is one of them. I didn't mention Elam, because I truly don't believe he'll make this team for him to even be an issue in the discussion of questionable players. Carter came here for less $$ based on what Nick said to him in their interview, Boston came here for less $$ based on what Nick told him in THEIR interview. Saban has a way of motivating people and getting the best out of them. He has done this throughout his coaching career. I truly believe, he's well on his way to doing it again.

Back
Top Bottom