I guess we know what Saban likes...BIG guys.. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I guess we know what Saban likes...BIG guys..

Another point to bring up is that the same 5 offensive lineman for an opponent play throughout the entire game. Rotating DT's, DE's, LB's to punish this weakness is an advantage that Bellicheck has been doing the last 4 years.

The game is truly won in the trenches. A one dimensional team that cannot run in a game because of the inability to open holes is at a greater risk of turning the ball over or losing yards.

Bellichik, Saban, Crennel, these are the types of coaches that have this game down to the science.

Every weakness in the system has been exploited by Bellicheck the last 4 years.

If your defense commits a penalty on every play, do you think the refs will call it on every play?? Nobody wants to watch a 10 hour football game bombarded with penalties. Bellichick knows that, that's why they've been able to dominate passing teams like Indy.

Honnestly, size does not matter...Just ask my G/f (Just kidding) ..One question..How big is Teddy Bruschi. He is probably the best Lb in the league jumping, deflecting and intercepting every ball thrown his way. I doubt he is even 6 feet.
Another example, remember Zach thomas ...How tall and big is he?

Maybe size matters in a 3-4 defense..Not sure ...Dunno..Remains a mystery.

Gladsadmad said:
we have a pretty good idea of what a "Saban-type" player is....

He's big....real damn big...

Big, but not fat. Saban doesn't want the Jerry Ball/Pat Williams type. He like guys with a big frame and a lean body.

I'm a Michigan State fan. He coached at MSU for 10 years and he would always talk about the way he wanted his guys too look. It may sound crazy, but after a few years you could begin to see which guys Saban was going to recruit and which guys were going to earn the starting jobs based on the height and weight.

This is how I see the starting defensive front seven:

If the opposing offense is in a pro set or I formation...

4-3 Defense

LE= Holliday

LDT=Bowens

RDT=Chester

Saban is going to want Chester to cut weight. 6'2" and 325 is too fat. Saban will try and get him down into the 300-310 range. If Chester doesn't, he won't start and may end up playing in goalline situations only.

RECarter

SAM (Strongside Backer)=Taylor

When it's 3rd and 1, Saban doesn't want 260 pound guys on the defensive line. He wants big run stoppers that can shove the OL into the backfield. That being said the SAM backer is a big playmaker in Saban's defensive schemes. He is responsible for wide side containment, pass coverage on the tight end, and a lot of the blitzes come from the SAM position. Julian Peterson played this spot for MSU during the Saban years.

MIKE (Middle Backer)=Crowder

Saban will want Crowder to earn the starting spot once he learns the defense. Seau might see some action during the first few weeks, but I expect that Crowder will get most of the work during the 2nd half of the season.

WILL (Weakside Backer)=Thomas

Once again, it's size. On third and 1, Saban wants a 250 pound middle linebacker heading into the hole to take on T.J. Duckett or Jerome Bettis. That means Thomas will have to move over to the WILL spot.

If the opposing offense is in a 3 receiver set (Let's say it's 3rd and 8)...

Nickle Package

LE=Holliday

Vonnie rushing on the outside while maintaining outside containment.

LDT=Bowens

Maintains the center of the line. Spies the QB. May draw double teams.

RDT=Carter

Carter moves inside for pass rushing purposes.

RE=Taylor

Saban likes to run a twist with the right end and the right tackle in the nickle. Look for Carter to shoot the guard/tackle gap and for Taylor to loop underneath them (past the center) on his way to the QB.

The linebackers in the nickle will be whoever is the fastest (for coverage and blitzing purposes).

Saban is a great coach and I think the Dolphins will be a playoff team this year. I expect Saban to give Feeley the first shot at the starting job, but it's more a matter of just going through the motions. Frerotte will be the starter. Saban likes his running backs to split carries. Ronnie Brown should get about 60% of them. My question is, who will get the rest?

SabanScience said:
Big, but not fat. Saban doesn't want the Jerry Ball/Pat Williams type. He like guys with a big frame and a lean body.

I'm a Michigan State fan. He coached at MSU for 10 years and he would always talk about the way he wanted his guys too look. It may sound crazy, but after a few years you could begin to see which guys Saban was going to recruit and which guys were going to earn the starting jobs based on the height and weight.

This is how I see the starting defensive front seven:

If the opposing offense is in a pro set or I formation...

4-3 Defense

LE= Holliday

LDT=Bowens

RDT=Chester

Saban is going to want Chester to cut weight. 6'2" and 325 is too fat. Saban will try and get him down into the 300-310 range. If Chester doesn't, he won't start and may end up playing in goalline situations only.

RECarter

SAM (Strongside Backer)=Taylor

When it's 3rd and 1, Saban doesn't want 260 pound guys on the defensive line. He wants big run stoppers that can shove the OL into the backfield. That being said the SAM backer is a big playmaker in Saban's defensive schemes. He is responsible for wide side containment, pass coverage on the tight end, and a lot of the blitzes come from the SAM position. Julian Peterson played this spot for MSU during the Saban years.

MIKE (Middle Backer)=Crowder

Saban will want Crowder to earn the starting spot once he learns the defense. Seau might see some action during the first few weeks, but I expect that Crowder will get most of the work during the 2nd half of the season.

WILL (Weakside Backer)=Thomas

Once again, it's size. On third and 1, Saban wants a 250 pound middle linebacker heading into the hole to take on T.J. Duckett or Jerome Bettis. That means Thomas will have to move over to the WILL spot.

If the opposing offense is in a 3 receiver set (Let's say it's 3rd and 8)...

Nickle Package

LE=Holliday

Vonnie rushing on the outside while maintaining outside containment.

LDT=Bowens

Maintains the center of the line. Spies the QB. May draw double teams.

RDT=Carter

Carter moves inside for pass rushing purposes.

RE=Taylor

Saban likes to run a twist with the right end and the right tackle in the nickle. Look for Carter to shoot the guard/tackle gap and for Taylor to loop underneath them (past the center) on his way to the QB.

The linebackers in the nickle will be whoever is the fastest (for coverage and blitzing purposes).

Saban is a great coach and I think the Dolphins will be a playoff team this year. I expect Saban to give Feeley the first shot at the starting job, but it's more a matter of just going through the motions. Frerotte will be the starter. Saban likes his running backs to split carries. Ronnie Brown should get about 60% of them. My question is, who will get the rest?

Good first post.

Big guys who can run fast are beasts

Back
Top Bottom