I have a feeling that the best WR of this class will be.... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I have a feeling that the best WR of this class will be....

why do i have a feeling edwards is going to be the next david terrell

knight6jb said:
The whole TE thing is garbage in my opinion, he is a WR, period. And about him not being able to keep his weight down, this man is all muscle, he is built like a rock and is in great shape.

Fair enough. Don't take me wrong...I think Williams will be a great WR...I just don't know for how long. He DID have to struggle to get his weight down for the combine this year (and has historically....that's just a fact). He is a big ball of muscle....so was Boston. His metabolism WILL slow down and he will continue to struggle to maintain a lighter weight. That's just facts. He has done it thus far...can he continue? I don't know. But looking to the dolphins future....we already have an excellent TE in McMichael so a WR w/out any weight issues would be a more ideal selection if talent is equal (most say Edwards is the best....some say Williams...who knows).

Only time will tell.

phinfan2003 said:
I must admit I'm afraid of Mich. Receivers after Desmond Howard and David Terrell. I know everyone says Edwards is different but I'm still leery. I'm almost as scared to pick up a Mich. WR as I am picking up a PSU RB.

ahhh you beat me to saying it

and you all are more comfortable with someone who had one great year as a sophmore and hasn't played in a year vs. someone with four 1,000+ yards seasons (systems aside....what about opponent's defense?)

Here's how I see it. Chambers going on a deep route, Mike Williams getting a ton of attention on a post over the middle, and Randy McMichael sneaking right behind him up the seam wide open. I just think that Mike Williams fits this team and our current group of receivers really well. And can you imagine this guy coming over the middle? I just don't see him dropping any balls due to big hits...I see CB's and Safety's bouncing off of the guy.

jbond said:
and you all are more comfortable with someone who had one great year as a sophmore and hasn't played in a year vs. someone with four 1,000+ yards seasons (systems aside....what about opponent's defense?)

Valid point, and I do like Brayon...just got a feeling about Mike Williams I guess.

I'd be happy with either one...I just have my preference is all.....:)

If we trade down and still can nab a Mike Williams or Cadillac Williams, my biggest problem will be surviving an inevitable seizure of laughter, face to the floor.

Last one of those I had was maybe '91, when the Canes were only a 7 1/2 point favorite at home vs. mighty Houston and David Klingler with the invincible run and shoot. I still fall over while thinking about that one.

jbond said:

This is why I'm comfortable with him:

2003: Just a sophomore in 2003, Williams was one of the nation's most dynamic and dangerous wide receivers. Overall in 2003 while starting all 13 games, he had 95 catches for 1,314 yards (13.8 avg.) and 16 TDs, plus he gained 26 yards on 3 rushes (8.7 avg.) off of backwards passes, completed both of his pass attempts for 38 yards (including a 15-yard TD against Michigan in the Rose Bowl), blocked a field goal and made a tackle. He was sixth nationally in receptions (7.3, second in the Pac-10) and 10th in receiving yards (101.1, third in Pac-10). His 16 TD catches in 2003 were a USC season record, the most in the Pac-10 in 2003 and the most by a Trojan in a season since Marcus Allen scored 23 in 1981. His 95 catches in 2003 were second on the USC season ladder (third on the Pac-10 list) and his 1,314 receiving yards in 2003 were fourth on the USC season chart (10th on the Pac-10 ladder). He had 7 100-yard receiving games in 2003. A finalist for the 2003 Biletnikoff Award, he was eighth in the Heisman Trophy voting and was the CBS.Sportsline.com National Player of the Year. He was a 2003 consensus All-American as he was named to the 2003 AP, Football Writers, Walter Camp, ESPN.com, SI.com, Collegefootballnews.com and Rivals.com All-American first teams (the first All-American first team Trojan wide receiver since Keyshawn Johnson in 1995 and the first USC sophomore honoree since Tony Boselli in 1992), The Sporting News All-American second team and the 2003 All-Pac-10 first team. He also made the ESPN.com All-Pac-10 and Collegefootballnews.com All-Pac-10 first teams. He won USC's Player of the Game versus UCLA award. He was named to the prestigious 2003 Playboy Pre-Season All-American team. At Auburn, he had a game-best 8 catches for 104 yards with a 5-yard TD. He grabbed a game-high 10 passes for 124 yards, including a pair of touchdowns (a 1-yarder to open USC's scoring and then an 18-yarder in the fourth quarter to put the game out of reach) against BYU. He had 3 grabs for 70 yards (with a 33-yard TD) against Hawaii, then 6 catches for 96 yards at California (plus he was credited with a 17-yard run while catching a backwards pass). He had 5 catches for 108 yards at Arizona State. He tied a USC game record with 3 TD catches (40, 18 and 3 yards, all in the second quarter) while collecting 7 receptions for 129 yards against Stanford. He added 9 catches for 112 yards at Notre Dame (with a 7-yard TD). He led USC with 6 catches for 43 yards at Washington. He added 4 grabs for 43 yards (including a 13-yard TD) against Washington State, plus he completed a scrambling 23-yard pass and had 2 runs for 9 yards (on backwards passes). At Arizona, he had 11 catches for 157 yards and 3 TDs (15, 22 and 26 yards)-all game bests-while setting the USC career record for touchdown receptions. He had 11 catches for 181 yards with 2 TDs (21 and 4 yards)-all in the first half-against UCLA. Against Oregon State, he had 7 catches for 59 yards and 2 TDs (a 14-yarder and then a spectacular one-handed, Frisbee-like 9-yard catch) and he also blocked a field goal. Against Michigan in the Rose Bowl, he had 8 catches for 88 yards and threw a 15-yard TD pass off a reverse.

2002: It's an understatement to say that Williams made a huge impact as a freshman wide receiver in 2002, his first year at USC. He was perhaps the top freshman receiver in the country. Overall in 2002 while appearing in all 13 games (he started against Washington and Oregon), he caught a team-high 81 passes for 1,265 yards (15.6 avg.) with 14 TDs, plus he was 1-of-1 passing for 19 yards, ran for 9 yards on 2 carries (4.5 avg.) and had a tackle, forced fumble and fumble recovery. He was named to the 2002 The Sporting News Freshman All-American first team, Scripps/Football Writers Freshman All-American first team, Rivals.com Freshman All-American first team and was the Pac-10 Freshman of the Year. He was 16th nationally in receiving yards (97.3, fifth in Pac-10) and 20th in receptions (6.2, third in Pac-10). His 14 TD catches was second most in the nation. His 81 catches in 2002 are third on the USC season list. He had 5 100-yard receiving games in 2002 (including a stretch of 4 in a row-the most at USC since Keyshawn Johnson had 12 in a row in 1994 and 1995). He caught a TD pass in 7 consecutive games. His 14 TD receptions tied the USC season record first set by Johnnie Morton in 1994. His 3 TD receptions against Washington in 2002 tied a USC game record and his 13 catches at Oregon was a USC freshman mark. He owns the NCAA, Pac-10 and USC freshman season records for receiving yards (1,265) and TD catches (14, sharing the NCAA mark with Florida's Jabar Gaffney in 2000) and the Pac-10 and USC frosh mark for catches (81). He made the 2002 CNNSI.com All-American honorable mention, plus All-Pac-10 second team and The Sporting News Freshman All-Pac-10 first team, as well as The Sporting News All-Pac-10 Freshman Offensive Player of the Year. Against Auburn, Williams made his Trojan debut by catching 4 passes for 56 yards off the bench. He had a game-high 7 grabs for 90 yards at Colorado. He had an 11-yard catch at Kansas State, then caught 4 passes for 62 yards, including a pair of TDs (11 and 16 yards), against Oregon State. He caught 6 passes for 112 yards at Washington State, including a 55-yard TD bomb in which he outjumped the defender, then had 6 receptions for 103 yards with a 21-yard TD against California. Against Washington, he not only tied a USC game record with his 3 TD grabs, but his 9 catches in the game equaled Kareem Kelly's USC freshman mark and his 159 receiving yards-a then-career high-was his third consecutive 100-yard performance (the most by a Trojan since Keyshawn Johnson had 12 in a row in 1994 and 1995. At Oregon, he had another huge game with 13 receptions (a USC freshman record) for 226 yards (both career bests) and 2 TDs (35 and 16 yards)-his fourth consecutive 100-yard game and fifth game in a row with a TD grab. He caught 8 passes for 94 yards (with an 8-yard TD) at Stanford while setting the Pac-10 freshman season record for receptions. He added an 18-yard TD grab (he also completed a 19-yard pass to Colbert) against Arizona State. At UCLA, he had a game-high 6 catches for 66 yards. He had 10 catches for 169 yards (both game highs) with 2 TDs (6 and 19 yards) against Notre Dame. Against Iowa in the Orange Bowl, he had 6 catches for a game-high 99 yards (with an 18-yard TD grab) to set the NCAA freshman season marks for receptions, receiving yards and TD catches.

jbond said:
D@mn that's a lot to read....:) Fair enough...

I know it is but I just didn't want to cut and paste the stats. I wanted to give the full picture (even though I'm sure you didn't want all of that). The stat that stands out to me is how he was able to catch 81 passes (14 for TD's) as a freshman and he only started 2 games!! I bolded the important stats in case that's all you wanted to read. :D

phinfan2003 said:
I must admit I'm afraid of Mich. Receivers after Desmond Howard and David Terrell. I know everyone says Edwards is different but I'm still leery. I'm almost as scared to pick up a Mich. WR as I am picking up a PSU RB.

u will really be afraid now that david is with a real qb and team in new eng.

watch terrell have a breakout year with the champs, i see him to have 800 yds and 7 tds

he might have more but deion branch will grab some and givens, and ben watson and...... oh my the pats DyNEsty is far from over!!!

oh and cant forget white lightning , dwight is ready to shine as well .......

I think it's over....:)

1st Superbowl........'tuck rule' to get in
2nd Superbowl......I have no idea how they managed to pull off all their games in the closing minutes
3rd Superbowl.....much deserved as they dominated everyone from first to fourth qtr. Kicked serious @ss last year every second of every game.

BTW....how many times lately have you won in our house....?

patsdynasty said:
u will really be afraid now that david is with a real qb and team in new eng.

watch terrell have a breakout year with the champs, i see him to have 800 yds and 7 tds

he might have more but deion branch will grab some and givens, and ben watson and...... oh my the pats DyNEsty is far from over!!!

oh and cant forget white lightning , dwight is ready to shine as well .......

With Belichick calling the O, I think Terrell has a better chance scoring 7 TD's on Defense than he does on O.

Back
Top Bottom