I have a Question..... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I have a Question.....

Phin_Phan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Sorry for making a whole new thread for this, I just didnt want to go TOTALLY off topic in someone else's thread......

I have NO IDEA what a "Compensatory Selection" is......I see it every year and I never knew what it meant........so if someone can tell me, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Compensatory picks are awarded to teams based on a formula. The two major variables in teh formula are FA lost and FA aquired. I dont know the formula, but if hte losses outweigh the gains you get picks. I think.

beejay05 said:
Compensatory picks are awarded to teams based on a formula. The two major variables in teh formula are FA lost and FA aquired. I dont know the formula, but if hte losses outweigh the gains you get picks. I think.

it helps....thanks

but if anyone knows exactly what it is let me know....thanks

You'll probably never get a perfect definition of it but heres some info on it and the formula for determining them. Hope it helps. Pulled it from NFL.com

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors.
Under terms of the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement, a team losing more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in a year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks.

The number of picks a team receives equals the net loss of compensatory free agents up to a maximum of four. The 32 compensatory choices announced will supplement the 229 choices in the regular seven rounds of the 2002 NFL Draft. This year, the compensatory picks will be positioned within the third through seventh rounds based on the value of the compensatory free agents lost.

There is supposedly some formula, but I have no idea why the precise parameters of it are kept some sort of secret, unless it allows for some subjective favortism in doling them out. I'm serious about that. If it's a straight formula, what in the world could be the harm in letting GMs know how to plan for the future as to what picks they'll be getting?

Back
Top Bottom