I know nobody likes talking about defense, but here's a good Safety Prospect | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I know nobody likes talking about defense, but here's a good Safety Prospect

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
From PFW's Senior Bowl coverage...

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Senior+Bowl/2004/prospect012004.htm

Prospect of the day

Iowa SS Bob Sanders

By Nolan Nawrocki
Jan. 20, 2004

SS Bob Sanders, #33
(5-8 3⁄8, 204, 4.33)

Stock: Rising

Buzz: Had one of the most impressive physiques at the Senior Bowl weigh-ins, with a very sculpted, strong upper body and thick neck. Lights-out hitter. Plays with a lot of heart and hustle. Only knows one gear. Delivered the first de-cleater of the Senior Bowl before the first day of practice in full pads arrived when he stoned USC WR Keary Colbert. Has Roy Williams’ toughness. Does not get intimidated. Is playing with torn ligaments in right hand. His lack of ideal height will scare some teams, but he has a 44-inch vertical jump and plays much bigger than his size.

Background: Converted running back who was very lightly recruited out of high school and offered only one Division I scholarship. Aggressiveness made him better-suited for defensive side of ball, where he has developed into the top in-the-box strong safety in the 2004 draft class. Saw immediate action as a true freshman in 2000 and has been a very productive four-year starter. Named three-time first-team All-Big Ten selection and second-team Associated Press All-American in 2003. Defensive team captain and most valuable player in ’03. Missed three games with a right foot injury in ’03 and returned less than 100 percent but was always around the ball. Had six forced fumbles in 10 games, ranking among the best in the country.

I've read just about all the Senior Bowl notebooks and diaries and this guy made about like 2 or 3 bone rattling hits.

He runs a fricking 4.33 in the 40 according to the stats and has a 44 inch vertical now THATS athleticism, has a chiseled frame, is always around the ball, and hits like a truck. Sounds like Sammy Knight except he can run and jump like WHAT.

I just wonder where this guy is gonna end up drafted. The guy who did the Senior Bowl notebooks for PFW said that if he had a pick in the 20's he would strongly consider this guy...in other words he was thinkin along the lines of 1st round talent.

But the draft profiles I see dont suggest any such thing. One on Draft Crazy here says he's the 8th rated safety and his stock is FALLING. At Draft Studio they rate him 2nd among strong safeties. NFL Draft Blitz says he'd be a 1st rounder if he were 4 inches taller. But they emphasize that his size and a foot surgery he had that admittedly doesn't affect his longterm potential, gives him a 3rd round grade.

In fact with all this I could see him going in the 4th. But this is a PLAYER man, and I think he could not only step in as Brock Marion's replacement, he could change the way we play Safety...induce Bates to switch up the defense a bit.

BTW this is Draft Blitz's report on Bob Sanders...

Demond “Bob†Sanders/Iowa

(5-8, 202, estimated 4.40 40 time)

2002 Season Stats: 12 games, 102 tackles, 1 tackle for loss, 1 sack, 2 interceptions, 12 pass breakups, 1 fumble recovery, 4 forced fumbles

Positives: Has great speed and range on the football field. Very aggressive player and an intimidator. Possesses very good instincts and is always around the ball. Has the perfect mentality for a safety.

Negatives: Lacks ideal height. Has had some injury problems with his right foot as a senior.

Overall analysis: Demond “Bob†Sanders is a very experienced player who has established himself as one of college football’s toughest safeties. Sanders saw immediate playing time as a true freshman, and ended up starting in his team’s last four games in 2000. Since that time, Sanders has been Iowa’s regular starter at the strong safety position. Sanders lacks ideal height for the position, but he rates as a positive in just about every other aspect. Sanders may not be the tallest safety, but he’s a weight-room warrior that is really well built for his size. He is very physical and can provide the big hit. He also has very good instincts and playing range, and is constantly around the football. And surprisingly enough, especially when considering his bigger build, Sanders runs extremely well. However, Sanders height is a concern and he will likely have trouble matching up with the taller NFL receivers that he’ll have to face at the next level. It also must be noted that Sanders had foot surgery during the 2003 season, and even though it doesn’t appear to be a long-term problem it is something that NFL teams will have to take a look at. But overall, Sanders is a very good football player who would probably grade as a first rounder if he were 4 inches taller. Sanders currently carries a third round grade.

I could see him going in the 4th round and oh what a 4th rounder that would be IMO.

I like talking safety, specially when I meet a new girl...lolI think Freeman will stay and start for us this coming season and Marion will be gone. Any news on Bell?

Ozzy rules!!

I read one report said that Miami is "likely" to jettison Brock Marion and that Freeman or Bell would take his place.

I just really really like this guy here Bob Sanders. He reminds me of like a Tank Williams or somethin who fell in the draft for seemingly frivolous reasons.

I would shed no tears if we drafted Sanders and then ended up jettisoning Sammy Knight. And thats sayin a lot cuz I really like Knight! But having two slow-foots at safety doesn't do well to prevent the big play which Madison is givin up lots of at the moment...and at the moment especially given Marion's PRO BOWL berth and his interception in the Pro Bowl, I would rather give up Knight than Marion.

What's his vertical?? At 5-8, lining him up against any receiver over 6 feet will be difficult.

I like him in the 4th or the third if we get a 3rd (with a 1st) for wally. we need to restock the safety position. Freeman is bitter and may be gone!!!

What's his vertical?? At 5-8, lining him up against any receiver over 6 feet will be difficult.
I'll guess 44 inches.....

He is one of my personal favorites as well (I'm the same size he is, but without the speed). He is a tough little S.O.B. I've been watching him play his whole collegiate career. You gotta love a little guy that hits lights out. He is short, but who the h@ll cares when you lay the wood like that.
He will be gone in the third I believe. Another safety I like is Will Allen from my Buckeyes. Purdue has another tough Big Ten safety as well Stuart (forget how to spell Shweigart). They also have a ton of FAST LBs.

True that dreadlock he tried his damnedest to get out of here last offseason and didn't succeed. This time he's a UFA. Not sure he'll get a whole lot of bites in free agency but he could be ready to leave.

As for Bob Sanders' vertical its an astounding 44 inches which puts him in Chris Chambers' company...if not better than Chambers.

Freeman will probably be gone. Why should he stay after we kinda screwed him last year? He could have started on another team.

I wouldn't object to using a 2nd third rounder on Sanders either. One thing you KNOW would happen in the dude's first year is you know he'd be a human missile on special teams.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I wouldn't object to using a 2nd third rounder on Sanders either. One thing you KNOW would happen in the dude's first year is you know he'd be a human missile on special teams.

True that CK, we need some young DB's who can play on this team, you're always an injury away from disaster. Our ST's haven't had the ump, they've had in recent years. One, we had to get rid of some of our guys because they were a liability if a starters went down. They were great on st's but very so, so in their backup roles when they had to play. We had to get upgrades who could play if inserted, but they were not as good on ST's. Still don't know if we have the real deal in our backups at LB, but we've made a change. Marion is getting slow, but he's so smart, it's always a hard call to let him go. But it's time for Freeman to put out. I would love to see Bell and Roundtree make this roster straight up this year, they had very good preseasons last year. I hope with a year under his belt, Banks starts to show a little more than last year, even through I think he started off great. I think we've drafted well on D. Even Grisby the DE looked good in preseason last year, came out of no where and held his own, something like Ogun. Moore started good, but missing so much time may have set him back a bit. I like the writings on this propspect you brought up, but is he smart enough. Other than height, he seems to have all the tools. But TE's may eat him alive..I don't take anything away from him because a CB on the redskin a few years back taught me that a player is a player, no matter the size. Hint, first name PAT.

Back
Top Bottom