I need my DCH Fix..... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I need my DCH Fix.....

Predaphin

Predator in the Water
Reaction score
Id like to see his point of view on draft....maybe he has a better explanation for the draft...:confused:

Anyone else need their DCH Fix??;)

I do need his input too.

What I really need from DCH is what were going on behind the scenes if he has some insights on that. I mean who were we targeting but failed to get. What were the other players considered at our pick in Rounds 2 and 3 and what other teams were interested in our guys (Moore, Smith, the guard we picked) around our picks.

I'd also be interested to hear where we are on Sammy Knight and The Island of Misfit Receivers (Robinson, Crowell, et al).

No they were great, but DCH has more connections to the front office and we would just like to hear what he has to say about everything, not just the draft

Read the POst-draft press conf. for Sammy Knight/FA WR info. Speilman is the Front Office.

He was in New York for the last week and a half. He should have an update real soon.

Crowell won't be playing for us. His knee may well force him to retire. Robinson will have a better chance to play elsewhere - New England maybe or probably Arizona. I would think that because we passed up Michael Doss that we will bring in Knight. I also expect Arturo to play more as a LB on obvious passing downs, as he did as a rookie. The Griese deal is very likely, and so is the one for Thomas Jones. He would fight it out with Robert Edwards, Leonard Henry and Sedrick Irvin for the #3 spot behind Ricky and Travis.

Behind the scenes of the draft? We tried to get from 14-33. The targets were Kwame Harris and Eric Steinbach, They liked George Foster but he was fallback plan 3 - they were concerned about the wrist and the fact he needed further surgery after the draft. We had had long conversations and possible deals in place with Philadelphia at 30 and Pittsburgh at 27. They had 2 specific targets - McDougale for Philly and Polamalu for Pitt. If either had gone, both were willing to drop down to 49 for their secondary targets which were LJ Smith for Philly and Terrence Kiel for Pitt, allowing us to move up. Unfortunately, BOTH moved up themselves and nixed potential deals.

When New Orleans was on the phone with the Cardinals for the 6 spot, we were on the phone to the Saints. We offered next years 1, this years 2 and 3 for the 18 spot. We agreed to the deal IF the Saints didn't move up to the 6 spot for Sullivan. They did, we lost out.

Then they worked the phones with Dave McGinnis and Rod Graves in Arizona. There was a deal on the table for the 18 pick and TB Thomas Jones, for our 2nd rounder and Derrick Rodgers and our 1st rounder next year. With the run on DE's, the Cards thought that they would miss out, especially after having swopped 2nd rounders with NOS. They thought both Kenny Peterson and Antwan Peek would be gone and so nixed the deal. We tried to get above San Francisco at the last minute to grab Harris, but it was over by then. They tried hatrd to get Steinbach, but there was so much value there with players falling that no-one wanted to bite.

The Cowboys, Browns and Buccaneers wanted Eddie Moore. Cleveland were going to take him 3/4 picks later, but had to settle for Chaun Thompson. With just Ben Taylor, Andra Davis and Kevin Bentley, all 2nd year guys at LB, they wanted a speedy, experienced cover guy at WLB and wanted Moore. The Bucs wanted Moore at the end of R2, their 1st pick. The Cowboys would have taken him at the top of 3.

There was plenty of interest in Wade Smith. Philly and Green Bay were very keen. Philly wanted to move right up to grab him, but after the trade for McDougal, felt it didn't have the ammo. They had had Smith in for 2 workouts, he had spent time with OL coach Juan Castillo and was a solid pick for them in 3. They would have played him at RT possibly moving Jon Runyan in a year. Smith was a solid 3rd rounder.

As much as you guys love DCH, NO-ONE has insider information on the Dolphins. Neither DCH or Drew Rosenhaus or anyone else has a clue what's happening in the Miami front office apart from the people that work in the Miami front office. We all make educated guesses on what we hear. That's the way it is.

Boomer
Why do you think Smith went ahead of Williams? IYO Do think he has that much more upside and can contibute that much faster? Most of us talked about how solid Williams was and that he might even had been able to start this year for us. I think he did'nt even get picked till the 5thrd. Your thought.

Den - Brett has done it consistently but you wonder how much better he's going to get. I think he'll improve some and be very solid, but I would imagine that the Fins saw 4 years of consistently solid play, but saw Smith as a kid who moved from TE to RT and looked interesting and improved. Then jumped from RT to LT and made another significant jump in performance levels. And they think that with just 2 years under his belt at T and the great improvement made in that time that he can continue to progress. They rolled the dice some - Williams was my #1 rated T left on the board, with Smith at 2. I think they saw the potential, the great feet and the ability at G and T as a run blocker and took Smith. I personally would have gone with Brett, but sometimes you have to take a chance. Smith has shown enough to make you think that he could become something special. I suppose that's what the CS thought as well. You can't blame the team for pushing the envelope a little.

Back
Top Bottom