I need my DCH Fix..... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I need my DCH Fix.....

Good job Boomer.

I also heard that Williams had some knee troubles that caused him to slide in the draft. I still would have taken him though.

He has had shoulder surgery on both shoulders after the 2001 season that forced him to sit out of last spring and had arthroscopic knee surgery in February of this year. I'm told that Williams is a tremendous discus thrower and the surgery was because of the pressure on his knee in the discus circle was causing some pain and so he had the knee scoped and some antibodies removed. Nothing at all to be worried about - just a 300lb man putting pressure on his knees in an explosive activity that uses the knee joints heavily and his right knee was the push off knee. He also has asthma, which I'm sure you know and he fractured his hand a year or so ago when he smacked some guy in the face who was attacking a friend of his. He's only missed 2 games in 34, so injuries are no concern.

Originally posted by Boomer

The Cowboys, Browns and Buccaneers wanted Eddie Moore. Cleveland were going to take him 3/4 picks later, but had to settle for Chaun Thompson. With just Ben Taylor, Andra Davis and Kevin Bentley, all 2nd year guys at LB, they wanted a speedy, experienced cover guy at WLB and wanted Moore. The Bucs wanted Moore at the end of R2, their 1st pick. The Cowboys would have taken him at the top of 3.

There was plenty of interest in Wade Smith. Philly and Green Bay were very keen. Philly wanted to move right up to grab him, but after the trade for McDougal, felt it didn't have the ammo. They had had Smith in for 2 workouts, he had spent time with OL coach Juan Castillo and was a solid pick for them in 3. They would have played him at RT possibly moving Jon Runyan in a year. Smith was a solid 3rd rounder.

Boomer, I have seen the reports in the papers about our failed attempts to move into the first round to select an OLT. However, I have yet to find verification of the interest from these other teams in Moore and Smith. Do you have links to on-line articles that we could read that speak of the Cleveland/Tampa Bay/Dallas interest in Moore and the Philly/Green Bay interest in Smith?

danny - this is from one of the Cleveland papers - I'll dig the link out in case you don't trust me......the Moore to Tampa was from Rich McKay and I'll dig that out and the dallas one was from the Morning news - I'll get that as well when I have a chance - I have to log onto that at home rather than here at work, as it's a password entry website and the password I can never remember. Here's teh Cleveland one:

"Faine was among four players Davis targeted at the Browns' No. 21 spot. The coach turned down one chance to trade up to No. 17 with Arizona because he felt one of his players would be available. There were no serious opportunities to trade down, Davis said, because teams below the Browns also saw their targets being available.
Davis watched Boss Bailey, the top-rated linebacker in the draft, fall to the second round, taken by Detroit at No. 34. Others believed to be considered by Davis were Iowa guard Eric Steinbach, taken No. 33 by Cincinnati, Oklahoma cornerback Andre Woofolk, taken No. 28 by Tennessee, and Stanford offensive tackle Kwame Harris, taken No. 26 by San Francisco.
"We just felt [Faine] was the best choice of guys that were there," Davis said. "He was clearly in a class by himself."
Thompson, 6-2 and 240 pounds, was the best player on a Division II team that was 0-11 last year and gave up 37 points a game. Davis chose him over Ohio State's Cie Grant, he said, because of his "unbelievable upside." "We watched two guys we liked, the kid from Hawaii and the Moore kid at Tennessee go off the board and knew that we had to pull the trigger on Chaun." said Davis.
Grant was passed over by the Browns again in the third round and was taken with the No. 86 pick by New Orleans.
"One of the things that excited our coaching staff was [Thompson] had ability to be a three-down linebacker," Davis said. "He runs 4.52, 4.55 [in the 40-yard dash]. He can fly all the way down the field. He does unbelievable, athletic-type things. Whatever inexperience he may have, he's going to do whatever he can to overcome it."
Crocker, 5-11½ and 194 pounds, will break in on special teams and covering slot receivers in the nickel defense, Davis said.
"From a personality standpoint, he's infectious. You enjoy having the kid around," Davis said. "

This is from Wanny:
"On if he was convinced that Eddie Moore would not be there in the third round) -- “We talked to him at the combine and interviewed him and our scouts talked to him yesterday. I know he wouldn’t have been there in the bottom of the second round. I know that for a fact that he would have been taken. You saw who was taken the next four picks. Right. What position was taken? There were three linebackers in a row. Bam, Bam, Bam."

Read Wade Smith's NFL.com diary and that will tell u all you need to know. Plus theer was sustained pre-draft interest in Smith from those teams - read my column at Great Blue North and that will tell you.

Back
Top Bottom