‘I Would Go With Josh Rosen’: Mike Cugno On Miami Dolphins QB Battle | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

‘I Would Go With Josh Rosen’: Mike Cugno On Miami Dolphins QB Battle

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
1567088217526.png

“If you asked me, I would go with Josh Rosen. You have to find out what you have in this guy because going forward into next year’s draft you have to know whether you need a starting quarterback or not, ” said CBS 4 sports anchor Mike Cugno. “Ryan Fitzpatrick you see what he can do in spurts but I don’t believe he is a long-term solution. He signed a two year deal. Really if you’re looking for that guy of the future and you asked me, I’d say you need to start Josh Rosen. But, I wouldn’t be surprised if a guy like Brian Flores, a new head coach from the Patriots system, all he thinks about is winning games every week so I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes that route.”

I would add the caveat of *after we see the OL gel just a little bit. Don't get the kid killed just yet. Let the old guy take the beating
Great point. As Gase explained and we saw first hand, it takes about 5 games for a team to adjust to a new system. We have a bye week 5. My hope and prediction is that we start Fitzmagic for games 1-4, then in the bye week (week 5), we switch to Rosen. That gives the OL time to gel, the WR/TE/RB time to get assignment-sound, and the team ready to support and protect a young QB without once again crushing his confidence. Doing it over the bye week means Rosen would get 2 full weeks with the 1's before his debut.

Seems like the best way to ease Rosen into a situation where he is under less pressure, has the most support, and is most ready to succeed. That still allows him 12 games to show his stuff without the fiasco offensive situation like he suffered through in Arizona.

People who want to start Rosen from day 1 are setting the kid up to repeat his Arizona situation, and IMHO, that's not fair to the kid and not really beneficial for the Dolphins.

Really if you’re looking for that guy of the future and you asked me, I’d say you need to start Josh Rosen.

Profound statement when you're comparing a 22 year-old and a 37!

These guys must stay up all hours of the night coming up with these "insights!"

Great point. As Gase explained and we saw first hand, it takes about 5 games for a team to adjust to a new system. We have a bye week 5. My hope and prediction is that we start Fitzmagic for games 1-4, then in the bye week (week 5), we switch to Rosen. That gives the OL time to gel, the WR/TE/RB time to get assignment-sound, and the team ready to support and protect a young QB without once again crushing his confidence. Doing it over the bye week means Rosen would get 2 full weeks with the 1's before his debut.

Seems like the best way to ease Rosen into a situation where he is under less pressure, has the most support, and is most ready to succeed. That still allows him 12 games to show his stuff without the fiasco offensive situation like he suffered through in Arizona.

People who want to start Rosen from day 1 are setting the kid up to repeat his Arizona situation, and IMHO, that's not fair to the kid and not really beneficial for the Dolphins.

It seems that is the goal of some

Totally disagree.

People who want Fitz to start are drinking some weird asz twisted logic kool aid.

I'm pretty sure Josh Rosen knows that he's playing for one of the worst teams in the league. He's not a clue less seventh grader.

Starting Fitz is a total waste and everyone but beat down delusional Dolphin fans get this. Listen to Troy Aikman last week trying not to throw Flores under the bus but you could tell he thought it was a dumb idea.

Sorry Digital, it's time for Miami to develop a QB. Nothing to lose anymore.

The problem is.....nothing is "up to me".......it's up to Flores and I believe he's already made up his mind to start Fitz unless he's hurt.

It seems that is the goal of some

I don't know why or how anyone would make it their goal to lob Rosen into a crap situation.

We all have the same goal. Find a quarterback.

I would be fine with Rosen getting the start after a bye-week if the FO deems it the best route. The idea of giving the OL time to gel and WRs to figure it out is a bit pie in the sky if you ask me...because injuries will happen, our o-line isn't going to be good, and adversity is imminent. I understand the logic but I don't think it will change the outcome much....which therefore makes me indifferent as to whether we start him week 1 or week 5....whatever.

We'll see what the kid is eventually.

I would not be the LEAST bit surprised if Josh is trotted out after we receive the football in game #1

with absolutely no fan fare.

He has looked good.

Flores & company are trying to mold him into...

not a starting QB,

but a WINNING QB

who can WIN in the playoffs when it really matters.

"Battle" is a misnomer. Fitz sucked and Rosen showed various signs of brilliance and less suckage. The team also responded better to him.

But because he's the preemptive winner doesn't mean he should start immediately. Let the OL gel and team come together while he watches Fitz standing next to O'Shea for the first 4 games and then it's off to the races!

"Battle" is a misnomer. Fitz sucked and Rosen showed various signs of brilliance and less suckage. The team also responded better to him.

But because he's the preemptive winner doesn't mean he should start immediately. Let the OL gel and team come together while he watches Fitz standing next to O'Shea for the first 4 games and then it's off to the races!
My only fear us if fitz starts playing well because that is his m.o. I would not mind if that's the plan for Josh so he has a chance to succeed but they better commit to it no matter what

One of the problems of starting Rosen week 1 is if he looks awful against a tough schedule the first 4 weeks then it's almost a given to let Fitzpatrick start game 5 against a weaker schedule and he will look better.

Even if Fitz looks awful in week 5 how does Flores put Rosen back in after killing what little confidence Rosen might of had left.

It just makes too much sense to start Fitz the first 4 weeks and if he looks even mediocre and Miami is 0-4 or 1-3 pull him and ride Rosen the rest of the season.

I would not be the LEAST bit surprised if Josh is trotted out after we receive the football in game #1

with absolutely no fan fare.

He has looked good.

Flores & company are trying to mold him into...

not a starting QB,

but a WINNING QB

who can WIN in the playoffs when it really matters.

What? I’m pretty sure they’re aware there isn’t going to be too much WINNING or playoffs this season; they want to see if he looks the part and is worth building around.

The OL could gel just as much as it could get hurt and suck historically... The OL sucking is their fault in the first place anyway...

Back
Top Bottom