‘I Would Go With Josh Rosen’: Mike Cugno On Miami Dolphins QB Battle | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

‘I Would Go With Josh Rosen’: Mike Cugno On Miami Dolphins QB Battle

One of the problems of starting Rosen week 1 is if he looks awful against a tough schedule the first 4 weeks then it's almost a given to let Fitzpatrick start game 5 against a weaker schedule and he will look better.

Even if Fitz looks awful in week 5 how does Flores put Rosen back in after killing what little confidence Rosen might of had left.

It just makes too much sense to start Fitz the first 4 weeks and if he looks even mediocre and Miami is 0-4 or 1-3 pull him and ride Rosen the rest of the season.
The weaker schedule thing is subjective to where teams are after last year. Sure the ravens snuck in the playoffs last year, but everyone has a blueprint for their offense now. Or say Dallas they are all over the map year to year. They could for all we know take step back because the eagles are not walking wounded in to those games. By week 6 we could sit at 2-2 because those two teams were overhauled. I never look to far in at the schedule for that reason

The weaker schedule thing is subjective to where teams are after last year. Sure the ravens snuck in the playoffs last year, but everyone has a blueprint for their offense now. Or say Dallas they are all over the map year to year. They could for all we know take step back because the eagles are not walking wounded in to those games. By week 6 we could sit at 2-2 because those two teams were overhauled. I never look to far in at the schedule for that reason

well said, Im hoping for a high draft pick and resolution to our issue under center since Dan retired. Hopefully Rosen kills it this year, but alluding to the schedule and what is a great point on your part, nothing would make me happier than physically dominating the ravens in the heat to open the season, regardless of their roster turnover they are always tough and have our number...

I get the Flores mentality of win each game but before he was even signed Ross talked about having a more long term vision for once. I sware if Flores is stupid enough to start Fitz and play for a 8-8 type of season I’ll just have to laugh my ass off.

I get the Flores mentality of win each game but before he was even signed Ross talked about having a more long term vision for once. I sware if Flores is stupid enough to start Fitz and play for a 8-8 type of season I’ll just have to laugh my *** off.

Well, Fitz is apparently named the starter. I don't know if you should call a coach "stupid" for trying to win games. Honestly would you want a coach, staff, FO starting the season with a "let's try and lose games" mentality? Come on!

Lol...the Ravens snuck their way in the playoffs by winning 6 of the last 7, only losing in OT @ KC. Are you thinking teams didn't know the blueprint when Jackson played that he was going to be using his legs? This just in, teams knew that last year and weren't able to stop it.

The Cowboys who have only had two losing seasons in the last 15 years (complete juxtaposition to Miami only 2 winning seasons in the last 15 years), have 3 winning seasons since Prescott has been QB and are 32-16 in that time are all over the place? Interesting. Even if the Eagles bounce back this year that doesn't make the Cowboys a worse team. They are certainly better than Miami right now.

BTW Ravens were #2 in fewest PPG, Pats #7, Cowboys #6, Chargers #8...Ravens have 2 winning seasons in row, Patriots 19 winning seasons in a row, Cowboys 3 winning seasons in a row and Chargers 2 winning seasons in row.

If you want to pretend this isn't a challenging schedule to begin the season and Miami's OL is good enough to protect Rosen against some very good defenses to begin the season, okay. We'll see if Flores throws Rosen to the wolves to begin the season. To do so for a QB that had one of the worst seasons by a QB over the past decade last year is taking a big chance and not a smart way to groom a player if he is hoping he will be a long-term answer at the most important position in football.

The best Miami can hope for is Ravens, Pats and Chargers wear down in the heat and a few key injuries like what happened to Derwin James Jr., but even then Miami will be outmatched in talent.

FYI...Miami will have played 5 games by week 6 so they won't be 2-2.

Last edited:
Great point. As Gase explained and we saw first hand, it takes about 5 games for a team to adjust to a new system. We have a bye week 5. My hope and prediction is that we start Fitzmagic for games 1-4, then in the bye week (week 5), we switch to Rosen. That gives the OL time to gel, the WR/TE/RB time to get assignment-sound, and the team ready to support and protect a young QB without once again crushing his confidence. Doing it over the bye week means Rosen would get 2 full weeks with the 1's before his debut.

Seems like the best way to ease Rosen into a situation where he is under less pressure, has the most support, and is most ready to succeed. That still allows him 12 games to show his stuff without the fiasco offensive situation like he suffered through in Arizona.

People who want to start Rosen from day 1 are setting the kid up to repeat his Arizona situation, and IMHO, that's not fair to the kid and not really beneficial for the Dolphins.

Although there is a good bit of back and forth since this post, I will generally refocus back onto this argument as I agree with this sentiment...

Gun to anyones head, the coaching staff themselves included, this team is more than likely to finish below .500 - with that in mind, you are patient with Rosen with every intention to give me a solid 10-12 window to show what he's got.

They'll know enough by the end of the season from 12 games without having to decapitate the kid for the first 4 weeks unnecessarily.

Lol...the Ravens snuck their way in the playoffs by winning 6 of the last 7, only losing in OT @ KC. Are you thinking teams didn't know the blueprint when Jackson played that he was going to be using his legs? This just in, teams knew that last year and weren't able to stop it.

The Cowboys who have only had two losing seasons in the last 15 years (complete juxtaposition to Miami only 2 winning seasons in the last 15 years), have 3 winning seasons since Prescott has been QB and are 32-16 in that time are all over the place? Interesting. Even if the Eagles bounce back this year that doesn't make the Cowboys a worse team. They are certainly better than Miami right now.

BTW Ravens were #2 in fewest PPG, Pats #7, Cowboys #6, Chargers #8...Ravens have 2 winning seasons in row, Patriots 19 winning seasons in a row, Cowboys 3 winning seasons in a row and Chargers 2 winning seasons in row.

If you want to pretend this isn't a challenging schedule to begin the season and Miami's OL is good enough to protect Rosen against some very good defenses to begin the season, okay. We'll see if Flores throws Rosen to the wolves to begin the season. To do so for a QB that had one of the worst seasons by a QB over the past decade last year is taking a big chance and not a smart way to groom a player if he is hoping he will be a long-term answer at the most important position in football.

The best Miami can hope for is Ravens, Pats and Chargers wear down in the heat and a few key injuries like what happened to Derwin James Jr., but even then Miami will be outmatched in talent.

FYI...Miami will have played 5 games by week 6 so they won't be 2-2.

This is a very good post.

Trying figure out what dolphins should or could do is waste of time. It on head coach.

Well, Fitz is apparently named the starter. I don't know if you should call a coach "stupid" for trying to win games. Honestly would you want a coach, staff, FO starting the season with a "let's try and lose games" mentality? Come on!

No I want a coaching staff who is trying to build a long term competitive team. Not a staff who sells out every year for an 8-8 season and often times ends up with a worse season than that. We need to find out what we have exactly in Rosen.

I wouldn’t expect you to understand since you think Jerome Baker doesn’t look like a good young lb but Drake somehow looks like a good rb.

No I want a coaching staff who is trying to build a long term competitive team. Not a staff who sells out every year for an 8-8 season and often times ends up with a worse season than that. We need to find out what we have exactly in Rosen.

I wouldn’t expect you to understand since you think Jerome Baker doesn’t look like a good young lb but Drake somehow looks like a good rb.
Rosen will play this season,guarantee .

Back
Top Bottom