I would have been trying to get ahead of Pittsburgh for Fautanu | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I would have been trying to get ahead of Pittsburgh for Fautanu

jimthefin

Club Member
Reaction score
Once Mims went to Cincy I would have been on the phone with LA trying to swap with them for Fautanu.

I think one of next years 3rd's could have gotten it done.

I can't see Miami not liking TF since he is perfect for their scheme and their needs.

Now I will concede that LA might have said no and we don't know how hard Miami tried, or if they tried at all but were I in charge I would have paid the price to go from 21 to 19 and gotten my guy.

Once Mims went to Cincy I would have been on the phone with LA trying to swap with them for Fautanu.

I can't see Miami not liking TF since he is perfect for their scheme and their needs.

Now I will concede that LA might have said no and we don't know how hard Miami tried, or if they tried at all but were I in charge I would have paid the price to go from 21 to 19 and gotten my guy.
We don't have the resources to be trading up tho.

Everyone seems upset about Chop.... how about being upset we don't have a 3rd or 4th rounder. Or being upset about the picks we lost tampering with Tom Brady.

These things i can understand being angry about.... complaining about drafting an Edge prospect that's being compared athleticitlly to Micah Parsons and Miles Garrett makes no ****ing sense.

Oh and BTW to all those who wanted us to draft Oline..... where the **** have you guys been for the last 10 years?

I'm usually one of the only ones on the board asking for Oline in the draft. You all crawl out of the woodwork now? Where have you all been these years, I needed backup!

Fast And Furious Dom GIF by The Fast Saga

We don't have the resources to be trading up tho.

Everyone seems upset about Chop.... how about being upset we don't have a 3rd or 4th rounder. Or being upset about the picks we lost tampering with Tom Brady.

These things i can understand being angry about.... complaining about drafting an Edge prospect that's being compared athleticitlly to Micah Parsons and Miles Garrett makes no ****ing sense.

Oh and BTW to all those who wanted us to draft Oline..... where the **** have you guys been for the last 10 years?

I'm usually one of the only ones on the board asking for Oline in the draft. You all crawl out of the woodwork now? Where have you all been these years, I needed backup!

Fast And Furious Dom GIF by The Fast Saga
The price to go from 21 to 19 would not be very high. One of next years 3rd's could do it.

Not to mention that Grier said last night that they tried to jump back into the late 1st for another player.

I've wanted OL for a few years now, so I'm disappointed. however, a few things . . .
You're right, they could have moved up, but I never thought they would. Maybe they tried, but failed.
All anyone has to do is look at FH the last few weeks and monitor the differing opinions on #21. Mcd and staff have their opinions and they are the ones who count. Their priorities differ from most of FH.
Mcd and staff know W_A_A_A_A_Y_Y more than FH. They know how JP and Chubb are progressing. FH doesn't. They've seen scores of prospects. Talked to the prospect's coaches. watched hundreds of hours of film. Interviews. Huddled with Miami scouts, position coaches, coordinators. Evaluated personalities, desire to win, commitment. All those may be fuzzy, but they're part of the calculation.
Mcd and staff feel they know the guys on the roster. by now, they've talked to and interacted with the incoming FAs. They have an idea who can be coached up. Strengths/weaknesses.
And their jobs could depend on the play of draftees/FAs.
Yet, too many of us think 'we know.' Again, I haven't liked all the picks (e.g, Iggy). I wanted OL at #21. Thus, I'm not an apologist. I said earlier, as long as they get position of need and don't reach, I can live with it. Chop is the guy. I'm supporting him as a potential HOFr

Maybe he did try. maybe not...
That is tru, that is why i am not criticizing him for not doing it.

They might have tried but were rebuffed.

They also might not like Fautanu as much as I do.

Or they me be more confident in the OL than I am.

Or they know they are going to sign a FA later when they get that sweet Xavien Howard cash.

Hopefully Chop works out, but he's going to be on the sidelines when our OL caves on an all out rush and when we need to move the chains on the ground. If anything he's a cheap replacement for Chubb (who also cost us a 1st rd pick)

The price to go from 21 to 19 would not be very high. One of next years 3rd's could do it.

Not to mention that Grier said last night that they tried to jump back into the late 1st for another player.
Okay, yea thats true

That is tru, that is why i am not criticizing him for not doing it.

They might have tried but were rebuffed.

They also might not like Fautanu as much as I do.

Or they me be more confident in the OL than I am.

Or they know they are going to sign a FA later when they get that sweet Xavien Howard cash.
should be an interesting night.

A buddy of mine is a Steeler's fan and was expecting them to take Mims or Barton (really wanted a center). When Fautanu and Barton were still on the board, i was really hoping they'd pick Barton and leave Fautanu to us. I didn't know about the foot/knee concerns, so excluding those, i had a top 15 grade on him and was praying he'd fall just a bit more. He's a beast who could start inside at G like Tunsil and room to take over for Armstead long-term, or possibly stay inside if it looks like a better fit.

Once he was taken, i though Barton or a corner like Mitchell (possibly Arnold bc of Grier's affinity for Bama) was a no-brainer. While edge is a need with the injuries, if not for those, it wasn't because JP is likely extended and Chubb has 2 more years to absorb his dead money. I could have seen Verse or the other top edge guys but Chop surprised me a bit bc he's still a bit raw and more developmental than plug/play to bridge until Chubb and JP are healthy.

Is there even reason to believe that Grier would've taken Fautanu if he was there?
This really depends on if Grier thought Fautanu projected more to a guard or tackle in the NFL, but he was off the board, so any discussion is moot. Grier wants premium positions with his top picks. He obviously didn't think Barton projected as well to tackle or that may have been the pick. I think it came down to the Chop being so much better than the edge choices that could be at 55 (Isaac, Braswell, Trice) than Barton is over the IOL options (Beebe, Hayes, Frazier).

Chop isn't Micah year 1 more than likely, and may never have that blend of athletic+football traits but he still has a very high ceiling. There is some risk with the pick, as no pick is safe, but I feel some are going over board.

Phillips is coming off an Achilles injury and Chubb blew his ACL in December. We needed an edge for 2024 opening day and then someone to rotate in and out once both are healthy later in the season.

I don't get the hate over the pick. I saw someone mention Chop with Charles Harris and that's silly.
Athletically, Robinson is in another dimension compared to Harris.

4.48 vs 4.82
10 yard split 1.54 v 1.65
10'8" v 9'1" broad jump.

Fautanu was my favorite of the OL who might’ve realistically fallen to us, but look: 19 teams passed on him. He’s obviously not perfect. People get way too fixated on particular prospects. Anyone available at pick #20 has warts. Anyone available at pick #20 might bust. There is no guarantee Fautanu will be any better than Isaiah Wynn, who was a very similar prospect and went #23 overall.

At pick #21, it is a very good gamble to select a 21-year old, 250 pound edge who runs a 4.48, can flatten at the top of the arc, and ranked #4 in college football in pressures last season. Might he bust? Sure. Might Fautanu be a better pro? Sure. Nobody on Earth knows for certain. We made a good gamble. That’s all you can do.

Back
Top Bottom