If Culter falls to 16.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Culter falls to 16....

Super_Duper85

Deep Threat
Reaction score
should we still draft him? What if Culpepper doesn't pan out (unlikely)? We still need a backup QB. Is Cutler's value high enough for us to take a risk and pick him over defensive needs? How about trading down to get extra picks if a team drafting after us covets him???

If Cutler falls to 16, we trade down with Minnesota - getting the 17th pick plus the 2nd we sent for Daunte. (Minnesota is desperate for a young quarterback and we need payback for the Vernon Carey trade).

IMO, even at #16, he won't be the BPA....I just don't rate him that high...but if the coaching staff does have him rated ast he BPA, then absolutely.

If they don't, then start auctioning the pick and send it to the highest bidder.

However, even if they pick him....he doesn't fill the void we have at backup QB......we need someone with experience, he would simply take Lemon's place.

I believe that JC is the real deal and would take him above ML and VY. If we could trade down in this situation for an extra pick I would do so, if not I would jump all over him.

I actually think he will slide to 16. I also believe we should trade down. I wouldn't be surprised to see us trade down twice, actually - first to minnesota's spot, and then to whichever team wants to come up and select the best defensive back available at that point. This is also based on the fact that I think we should draft an OT in the first round.

Eric Winston, anyone? (Yea, I've been on a Marcus McNeill train for over a month now, but apparently none of the sources I've looked at recently have him rated in the first round anymore, much less ahead of Winston.)

Adam First said:
No, he won't. He's not Wannstedt.

OK...uninformed one...read today's Miami Herald. Your right he's not WANNY...that's why he WON'T PASS THEM UP. If either one of them (and I'm not a Young fan) falls to the #16th spot, they both will be tabbed as the BPA and taken. Watch and see...

krazikarl said:
I actually think he will slide to 16. I also believe we should trade down. I wouldn't be surprised to see us trade down twice, actually - first to minnesota's spot, and then to whichever team wants to come up and select the best defensive back available at that point. This is also based on the fact that I think we should draft an OT in the first round.

Eric Winston, anyone? (Yea, I've been on a Marcus McNeill train for over a month now, but apparently none of the sources I've looked at recently have him rated in the first round anymore, much less ahead of Winston.)

I also think trading down is our best option, especially w/o a 2nd rounder. However... this draft is so deep in talent that I do not see (as Boomer and CK have already said) a whole lot of trading up in this draft. It's simply too expensive to do so. Remember...before you can trade down you have to have SOMEONE to trade down with....

Finfanforever said:
OK...uninformed one...read today's Miami Herald. Your right he's not WANNY...that's why he WON'T PASS THEM UP. If either one of them (and I'm not a Young fan) falls to the #16th spot, they both will be tabbed as the BPA and taken. Watch and see...
Really?

We don't need a quarterback. Not really the best player availible for the MIAMI DOLPHINS, is it?

if cutler or VY is available at 16, which they wont be, but saban knows if he drafts them, he can always trade them and get an extra pick that way.

Adam First said:
Really?

We don't need a quarterback. Not really the best player availible for the MIAMI DOLPHINS, is it?

There is a difference between "need" and "best player available" you just contridicted yourself. Also keep in mind that if Saban grabs Young or Cutler, that doesn't mean he'll keep then (trade bait).

PS: Do you know ANYTHING about Saban's draft philosophy? Apparently not...:shakeno: He's big on BPA in the 1st round...regardless of position or "need".

If Cutler falls to 16, I'm taking him...........

But for as complicated as it all sounded, Saban's explanation of his overriding philosophy made everything seem very simple. He prefers to search for long-term value at any position rather than short-term satisfaction at a single position of need. It's all the better, of course, if value and need fulfillment happen to come in the same glorious package. But nobody's counting on such a confluence of factors arriving at Miami's 16th pick if, in fact, that's where the Dolphins stay

anything is possible with saban

Adam First said:
No, he won't. He's not Wannstedt.

Actually in the Orlando Sentinel this morning Saban has already been quoted as saying he will take Young if he falls to 16. Apparently Saban recruited him hard when he was at LSU, but Young chose Texas.

Back
Top Bottom