If Culter falls to 16.... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Culter falls to 16....

kitt23 said:
if cutler or VY is available at 16, which they wont be, but saban knows if he drafts them, he can always trade them and get an extra pick that way.

That's true. You draft for value. If you don't need the player you can always trade them.
Look at Atlanta. They spent a mid rd pick on Schaub and there are some teams that actually considered trading a 1st rd pick for him.
When you draft for need you have a greater chance of drafting a bust. We older fans have seen it before. Eric Kumerow and Billy Milner come to mind.

BPA in the first round makes the most sense to me. IF Young and Cutler are above other prospects on the Fins board and they are available, I think Saban will use the full 15 minutes, assessing possible (if any) trade options, then barring a trade, pull the trigger on either of them.

If Cutler or Young fall to 16 I think we take them because of the high value at that pick. It would be great insurance but I hope we would take a Wr, Db, Lb, or OL.

When you are able to draft a potential franchise

qb you do it...so if Saban believes Cutler or Young fits the category I think you have to do it. The team is probably looking at having to groom a young qb anyhow.

^^^
I'm with him. Even if Young or Cutler aren't needs because of the Culpepper acquisition, they are potential franchise QB's and you draft them regardless.

Culpepper will be at the top of his game for 5 years, if we pick either one, especially Young then it will give them good playing time in pre-season and when Culpepper's injured they can get regular season playing time meaning that they will be as ready as any QB can be when they get their chance.

Culpepper might not even pan out, and if a potential franchise QB comes our way in the draft I wouldn't be happy if we passed on them.

All depends on where the QB's are ranked on the BPA chart, plain and simple. Also depends on who else is there. We don't know who is ranked where on the BPA list, hell maybe Cromartie is ranked above both and we take him, this is all speculation, but I like the idea of drafting BPA in the first round . . with that being said if Deangelo Williams is there at 16 and ranked highest player available I wouldn't want to draft him, hopefully could trade down.

Finfanforever said:
PS: Do you know ANYTHING about Saban's draft philosophy? Apparently not...:shakeno: He's big on BPA in the 1st round...regardless of position or "need".

How do you know Saban's draft philosophy? How do you know whether or not he really thought Braylon Edwards was better than Ronnie Brown? Ronnie filled a HUGE need for us last year, and Braylon would have been 3rd on the depth chart all year.

If we don't get Lavar, and he takes an OLB in the first round, your argument is shot, because that would be 2 years in a row of Saban filling in huge holes on the team. We have to give Saban time before he starts taking the BPA in the first round every year. He has to build his team first, and then he can start doing that. He's still fixing Wanny's mess right now...but he's almost done:cooldude:

if he falls to 16 i really think that we will trade down. nick loves his draft picks and probably is dissapointed in losing our 2nd. Anything he can do to get it back, he will. We can take a qb next year, but daunte is fine for now.

Back
Top Bottom