If Gase Does Well | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Gase Does Well

I'm a Jets fan and I thought this thread was interesting. What the Jets seem to be doing is trying to limit Gase's authority in areas he hasn't done well in with Miami. For example, they brought in Gregg Williams to be "Head Coach of the Defense" (Gase's phrase), so Gase doesn't have to worry about the defense and Williams can run it. They have a GM to maintain roster control, so Gase, while having input, will have a more limited role in personnel decisions (and more time to focus on his offense). Gase will essentially be acting as an offensive coordinator+. While he will nominally be head coach, his real job is to focus on the offense and they've cleared enough of the head coach's duties off his plate so he can just work on the offense and coach up Darnold.

I think Gase really didn't have confidence in RT and I think that showed in his play-calling with you guys - that's why you saw all those screen passes, runs on 3rd and long and option plays. I'm pretty sure when he was Manning's OC in Denver his play calling was very different.

I guess we'll now see if Darnold is the real deal. If he is a true franchise QB, then Gase will get that out of him. After having watched Darnold all season and, in particular, his improvement when he came back from his injuries towards the end of the season, I think he may be the real deal.

The Jets arrangement with Gase suggests to me that both Gase and the Jets learned from Gase's Miami experiences. He learned what made him successful and did a deal with the Jets where he will be working within his comfort zone with fewer distractions.

I'm a Jets fan and I thought this thread was interesting. What the Jets seem to be doing is trying to limit Gase's authority in areas he hasn't done well in with Miami. For example, they brought in Gregg Williams to be "Head Coach of the Defense" (Gase's phrase), so Gase doesn't have to worry about the defense and Williams can run it. They have a GM to maintain roster control, so Gase, while having input, will have a more limited role in personnel decisions (and more time to focus on his offense). Gase will essentially be acting as an offensive coordinator+. While he will nominally be head coach, his real job is to focus on the offense and they've cleared enough of the head coach's duties off his plate so he can just work on the offense and coach up Darnold.

I think Gase really didn't have confidence in RT and I think that showed in his play-calling with you guys - that's why you saw all those screen passes, runs on 3rd and long and option plays. I'm pretty sure when he was Manning's OC in Denver his play calling was very different.

I guess we'll now see if Darnold is the real deal. If he is a true franchise QB, then Gase will get that out of him. After having watched Darnold all season and, in particular, his improvement when he came back from his injuries towards the end of the season, I think he may be the real deal.

The Jets arrangement with Gase suggests to me that both Gase and the Jets learned from Gase's Miami experiences. He learned what made him successful and did a deal with the Jets where he will be working within his comfort zone with fewer distractions.

Gase was hands off in regards to the defense here too. The Jets defense will be better coached due to Williams however, even if Williams wasn’t there, Gase would still have zero input.

Gase isn’t some QB whisper. No QB under Gase ever lead their offense to top 20. You cannot look at the time that Gase was with Manning. Manning was already a top 3 all time QB prior to Gase. Just look at how horrible the Colts were without Manning. The difference in Denver was that Denver was loaded with talent.

I’m going to wait until after the draft and free agency but there’s a decent chance I’ll bet on the Jets winning the East next year if the odds are to my liking.

So looking at this Gase was hired by the Jets because we beat the Jets a lot more than anyone else.

ganggreen poll as of right now:

2eld1tj.jpg

I liked the Gase hire from the beginning for the Jets. The popular choice for most fans was McCarthy, so when Gase was announced a lot fans were initially disappointed. His hire though seems to be getting more accepted and quite frankly more popular. The Williams pick for DC was very popular with Jets fans.

The bottom line though is the performance on the field, everything else means nothing. Winning is the determinant.

Gase has a QB with upside, a very good D, and the #3 pick in the draft. He’s going to do well. Those who want to tank should be thrilled because you just got 2 division losses.

You do realize you're talking about the Jets?

Darnold doesn't scare anyone, the number 3 pick?.... how many high first round draft picks have the Jets blundered???

There will be no tanking.....none!

The only reason why we'll struggle a bit next season is because the team is going to be shaken up. New coaches, new philosophy and probably a different QB.

jets have lots of cap space and with gase not buying the groceries he might have success there. think if they get bell and brown there. if only darnald was a competent qb they would be good.

In fairness, it's pretty tough to judge Gase on some of his moves with all the injuries we had. I mean Gase's idea was:

QB Tannehill - All season without the shoulder injury we really don't know the extent of, then the ankle.
RB Gore/Drake - seemed to work, maybe should have seen a little more Drake.
WR - Stills
WR - Wilson/Grant
WR - Dola
(phasing out parker from the get go but played him out of need later on).
TE - Gray/Derby/Gesicki
LT -Tunsil
LG -Sitton
C - Kilgore
RG - Davis
RT - James

I mean this was Gase's offensive plan and it fell apart due to injury. Many will argue he should have seen it coming, especially with Sitton/Kilgore, then there's the Rams with 3 OL over the age of 30 who all played 16 (now 18) games. I admit I don't think the above plan was a Super bowl winning one which is the ultimate goal, but we really don't know how it would have worked out. Not saying Gase was without his flaws but this is some bad luck. I'd feel a lot better about the firing if there was 16 games of the above that led to 7-9 than the way it unfolded. Not to mention when X went down we had 1 good CB who was playing out of position and street free agents ankering the D-LINE.

Back
Top Bottom