If Irish lure Meyer, it all changes at UF | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Irish lure Meyer, it all changes at UF

CrunchTime

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Meyer, an assistant coach with the Fighting Irish from 1996 to 2000, briefly addressed the situation after Utah's practice Tuesday night in Salt Lake City. Meyer, who is Catholic and named after a pope, has a clause in his contract that allows him to leave Utah for Notre Dame, Michigan or Ohio State without a buyout.

"I have great respect for that university," he said. "That's the reason it's in my contract.

So does Oklahoma's Bob Stoops, Florida's defensive coordinator from 1996 to 1998. A source close to the process said Florida still plans to talk to Stoops about the opening, though Stoops has issued two statements saying he's not interested in leaving Oklahoma.

"Publicly Bobby has said, 'No,' " the source said. "But Bobby has ties to Gainesville and Central Florida. He and we made a lot of great memories."

If Meyer ends up at Norte Dame, Davis spends a season out of football and Stoops stays put, Florida's next best option could be Louisville's Bobby Petrino, whose offense leads the nation in scoring and total yards. A source close to the process said Petrino is a legitimate candidate.

Petrino, who is signed through 2010, is a proven recruiter in Florida. Louisville has 24 players on its roster from the state.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2004/12/01/w1b_gators_1201.html

My best bet.Urban Meyer.There is no way he can give up all the money and benefits they will be throwing at him.He will be buried in mediocrity if he goes to ND.

I heard the local radio guy say today, Florida HAS offered the job to Stoops.

I wonder how long it will take UF fans to start firebobbypetrino.com if he is named their head coach.

I don't think they will get Stoops. I could see them going for Butch Davis but I doubt he will coach next year. After that, their best bets are probably Bobby Petrino or Dan Hawkins from Boise State.

2 out of the 3 teams I hate are fighting over Meyer... :lol:

iceblizzard69 said:
I wonder how long it will take UF fans to start firebobbypetrino.com if he is named their head coach.
Probably won't happen. The FireRonZook.com had a lot to do with the fact that Zook was in Gainesville previously and wasn't well regarded. So naturally, a lot of Gator fans were puzzled/upset when he was hired as the head coach.

Petrino has no connection to UF, and his resume is a lot more impressive than Zook's was three years ago.

Then again, the FireTheCoach.coms seem to be in vogue these days.

I don't think they will get Stoops. I could see them going for Butch Davis but I doubt he will coach next year. After that, their best bets are probably Bobby Petrino or Dan Hawkins from Boise State.
I don't think we'll get Stoops, either. But it's worth a phone call. I still think Meyer's going to be the hire, though -- Florida is such a better job than Notre Dame is right now.

I would say Butch Davis is one of the last people on their list.

After that, Petrino's my next favorite candidate, followed by California's Jeff Tedford, and then maybe Dan Hawkins.

But really, I don't think Florida has a bad option here. I'd be more or less satisfied with any of the candidates.

Foley went to Oklahoma and offered Stoops the job and he has officially said no.
Peter King of SI said Butch Davis had a panic attach 4 hrs. before the game and he confided to King that he was 25 lbs. heavier than he was when he started the job and won't work for a year to get his health in order.

I'm guessing Meyer to ND and Petrino to UF based on the way things are going.

Meyer made the right decision. Until Notre Dame's alumni realizes it is impossible to win the National Championship every year, their going to have an average football squad every year!

brech10 said:
Foley went to Oklahoma and offered Stoops the job and he has officially said no.
Peter King of SI said Butch Davis had a panic attach 4 hrs. before the game and he confided to King that he was 25 lbs. heavier than he was when he started the job and won't work for a year to get his health in order.

I'm guessing Meyer to ND and Petrino to UF based on the way things are going.

...and I'm wrong

YES! I'm very much looking forward to next season. With the talent Florida already has they can easily be a National Champion contender now that they have a proven coach, as long as he brings in the right defensive cordinator. :cooldude:

CrunchTime said:

My best bet.Urban Meyer.There is no way he can give up all the money and benefits they will be throwing at him.He will be buried in mediocrasy if he goes to ND.

I'm pretty sure a few days ago, you said your "best bet" was Bobby Petrino. Nice edit.

iceblizzard69 said:
I'm pretty sure a few days ago, you said your "best bet" was Bobby Petrino. Nice edit.
Edit ?:confused2 .How does that work.?:hmmm:

Back
Top Bottom