If McDuffie is right, than this is sad | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If McDuffie is right, than this is sad

GOD it sucked bein a phins fan that day...sheesh. I was at the relatives house FULL of Boys fans. At least mercifully I left before halftime. Before the the worst of it.

Originally posted by Bodzilla29
Let's not forget that it was JJ who gave McDuffie that more than generous contract he received. He rewarded McDuffie quite nicely for his efforts and in my opinion overpaid him for what he was worth production wise.

Richard Seymour is a pretty good 6'6 DT, John Henderson is 6'6 as well.

That's still no reason to play God with information about a player's health. I don't care how much you pay him. That's just not ethical. O.J. STILL walks with a limp for heaven's sake.

I think OJ earned his contract. After all, he did league the NFL in receptions that year. And he was Dan's ONLY target. Put Chris Chambers opposite O.J. and we'd be in business.

As for Seymour and Henderson, I guess we'll just have to wait and see if they encounter similar injuries. But one thing working in their favor is the fact that they aren't carrying nearly as much weight as Gardener was when he came up.

OJ played hard no doubt, and it really does seem as though he got shafted, but lets not overestimate his value gainst other WRs in the NFL.

Frank Sanders in Arizona is a very similar player as OJ, but would you think he deserves OJ like money? I don't, just like I don't think OJ was worth the money he was being paid.

As for the DT thing, I don't think the height should be that much of a concern. OTs play bigger with even more weight than DG, granted the usually play against smaler players, but they need to be conditioned and hold their size none the less. Every position is physical in the big leagues.

Dolphan06......i was being sarcastic.....i know all to well about that "game".....it has just been erased from my memory....as in....it NEVER happened.....that's what i tell my friends anyway......what game? lol

DT and OT are very different in regards to the nature of their positions.

DTs have to play with leverage. They've got to get lower than the offensive linemen they are attacking. On every single down, they have to come up from a three-piont stance and attack the interior lineman using leverage. And for a tall man like DG, that will obviously take it's toll on the lower back.

OTs are generally in an upright stance most of the time. Heck, they line up standing up on obvious passing downs. And half the time they are "retreating" per say. They are "engaging" as opposed to "attacking". By nature, that position is not as demanding on their lower backs.

As for OJ, how much money he made/what he was worth is not the issue here. The issue is whether or not the Dolphins lied to him about the severity of his injury, which effectively ended his career.

ok bod............

Originally posted by Bodzilla29
Dolphan06......i was being sarcastic.....i know all to well about that "game".....it has just been erased from my memory....as in....it NEVER happened.....that's what i tell my friends anyway......what game? lol
i thought you had your mind on last year, we didn't play the cowboys!;)

As I Already Posted ))

Originally posted by chambers84
Yeah, but who lied to him??? Probably Jimmy Johnson paid some trainer/doctor to lie, and he ruined his career, just like he ruined Dan Marino's Career!! Biatch!!
It is going to be very tough for OJ to prove this,, because what it will all come down to is what HE SAID-SHE SAID - and IMOP OJ will have to hope that the team trainer and doctors will back him up when he states they told him he could play !! JJ has nothing to do with this (as is the case for any H-C in the NFL) because even though he had alot of power (and ego) JJ (or any other H-C in the league) could NOT force a player or players to suite up untill they had medical clearance !!! Responsibility would fall back on the team physhicians, and if OJ would have had any doubt that he could play, then it would have been his responsibility to get a second opinion! I really believe that all this lawsuit is going to accomplish is just a heck of alot of hard feelings on both sides,,, with OJ coming out the loser. And it is possible that the Miami Dolphins could counter sue OJ for slander, but the only way I see that happening is if this gets real ugly where OJ starts pandering to the media for sympathy and to smear the Dolphins organization.. As for JJ ruining Marino's career ????? Where do you guy's come up with this s*** ???? Dan was a 14 yr vet when JJ took over the Dolphins in 96,, way past his prime, and yes JJ and Dan butted heads alot those 3 yrs and both had ego problems, but please explain to me - how either one - (JJ in this case) could of - or actually did ruin the others career ???????? :goof: :confused: Marino1983

Who has the final say so on who plays or doesn't reguarding previously injured players?? Is it the training staff or team Dr.?? I was just wondering. I know in the past some teams would inject players with pain numbing meds to get more out of them causing more serious injuries. Would have too wonder if the Dolphins orginization would be up for that. I would think that policy would be firmly in place and they would be very aware of the consequences. I would think you would have too prove that the organization or team itself hid the truth intenionally.

IMO anyone who feels that NFL coaches do not "help" trainers along in their medical decisions concerning injured players, is being extremely niave.
JJ may not have told OJ that he had to play in so many words, but, I would not doubt at all if he "suggested" to the team's medical staff, that it would be in the team's best interests for OJ to "shoot up" before games, and play.
BTW, if anyone thinks that this scenario is just common to the Fins, think again.
The NFL is BIG BUSINESS.
The good of the team will ALWAYS come first when it comes to a choice between team and player.

Exactly scott. Tonight I was watching "The Best Damn Sports Show" and they had Goldberg (the wrestler) on. They were talking about O.J. and the situation. And his comments were very similar to yours.

Goldberg played for the Falcons for a few years and his career ended in similar circumstances to OJ's. He ended up suing the Falcons for the same reason O.J. is . And if I remember correctly, he won.

Goldberg said that the trainers/coaches are very persuasive and they make you believe that you really need to be out there for the sake of the team. That they might not straight up lie to your face. But they do everything else to make you think that you absolutely have to be out there. That they will not say "NO, he can't play" unless super severe.

Goldberg said that he saw so many scrubs in training camp, guys who had ABSOLUTELY ZERO chance of making the team, playing with ungodly injuries just for the sake of being "bodies" out there. And the doctors simply allowed it.

In a nutshell, he's with OJ all the way.

Re: does this happen alot

Originally posted by dolfan06
:confused:

It happens all the time in every sport. It's up to the player to stand up and say, NO I CAN'T GO TODAY I AM INJURED! If a player is stupid enough to buy into the BS the trainers or coaches give them then in the long run, its sad to say, they get what they deserve. It's the players body. His career. He must make the final call. Nobody else.

This is a tough case for OJ to win. Cause the Dolphins lawyers and probably a judge at some point in court will say to OJ ......"if you were in pain, why did you go out on the field and play? It couldn't have been that bad."

I feel bad for OJ, but to pin this on someone else is a joke.

Re: Re: does this happen alot

Originally posted by TedDanson

It happens all the time in every sport. It's up to the player to stand up and say, NO I CAN'T GO TODAY I AM INJURED! If a player is stupid enough to buy into the BS the trainers or coaches give them then in the long run, its sad to say, they get what they deserve. It's the players body. His career. He must make the final call. Nobody else.

This is a tough case for OJ to win. Cause the Dolphins lawyers and probably a judge at some point in court will say to OJ ......"if you were in pain, why did you go out on the field and play? It couldn't have been that bad."

I feel bad for OJ, but to pin this on someone else is a joke.
We more or less agree,, I have a great deal of respect for McDuffie - what he has given that Dolphins cannot be measured in dollars and cents. But if he was having problems with an injury and there was the minute question in his mind that there was something wrong,,, then it was up to OJ to seek a different opinion and if the the Dolphins training staff was mounting pressure for him to play - then OJ should have reported the incident to his players union representative !! And those are probably the most important questions that OJ is going to be asked by the Dolphins Lawyers.. :D Marino1983

Back
Top Bottom