If someone has to teach the kid it might as well be them | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If someone has to teach the kid it might as well be them

Mike13

I am a golden god
Reaction score
I found this on Cbssportsline.com

Dolphins rookie Channing Crowder felt like he knew middle linebacker Zach Thomas even before Miami selected him in the third round of April's draft.
"It's pretty amazing that a guy I've been playing on video games for years now I get to work with," Crowder said. "It's a good feeling."

Crowder has served as Thomas' understudy since being drafted in the third round from the University of Florida. Crowder is trying to learn the middle linebacker position in Miami's 4-3 defense as well as the responsibilities Thomas and Junior Seau have when the Dolphins shift to a 3-4 alignment.

"We talk a lot because (the veterans) are learning like we're learning," Crowder said. "They can pick up stuff quicker. Junior can say, 'This is just like a play we ran in San Diego.' He can use that. We're jumping in.

"I talk to Zach a lot. On the field, he'll try to tell me the plays he knows or if I remember something from the meeting, I'll try to remind him. Just watching Junior and Zach, that's a great (advantage) to have because those guys are amazing. Twenty-six years of linebacker experience is better than any coach you could have."

Crowder was one of college football's top linebackers during his two seasons with the Gators. But Crowder's draft stock was hurt by health concerns surrounding his knees and several off-field arrests.

Crowder said he has learned his lessons after being arrested twice outside the same nightclub on misdemeanor charges to which he later pleaded no contest.

"Playing around and messing around, you can't do that type of stuff," Crowder said. "Some guy just walking down the street, he won't be in the same spotlight that we're in as professional athletes. You're kind of in a fishbowl wherever you are.

"Coach Saban tells us to ask like someone is always watching you and you'll do the right thing. If you're out there messing around, everything could hit the papers so don't do anything. Act like a grown man. That's what I'm trying to do."

So far, Thomas is impressed by what he has seen from a player who has the potential to become his heir apparent at middle linebacker.

"I like Channing," said Thomas, who is entering his 10th NFL season. "He's going to be a good linebacker. He's got the size and he's smart, and that's what you need. He'll be good, especially if one of us goes down -- me or Junior."

I am glad to see that ZT is teaching Crowder the ways of becoming a great LB.

Its gonna be exciting to see them two play with along side of each other in this defense we are creating.

popularwar said:
If you had to be taught by two contemporary linebackers.... you really can't have it much better than this.

Its like when Will Poole got to learn from Madison and Surtain last year... so awesome

Nasty

It must be a whole lot easier of a rookie season if you have two great teachers. Hopefully Crowder will be a good successor of Zach or Junior (whatever position he will play)

Back
Top Bottom