If there is no NCAAF and there is NFL this year what happens to the '21 draft? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If there is no NCAAF and there is NFL this year what happens to the '21 draft?

Fin-Loco

Grilling Chicken Little
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
So currently NFL rules are that college players have X amount of years of eligibility. They need to use that up before they are permitted to enter the draft. So as an example, Trevor Lawrence doesn't play this year, and is still a junior football wise meaning he's not eligible for the draft what happens?

Rules for the draft are in here.

Division I college football players will now be able to play in up to four games per season without using a season of eligibility, the NCAA announced Wednesday.

Student athletes at the Division I level currently have five years to play up to four seasons. The new rule will allow football players to not use up a season if they play in a small number of games due to an injury or other possible situations. It is effective starting in the 2018-19 season.

Division I Council extends eligibility for student-athletes impacted by COVID-19

Members also adjusted financial aid rules to allow teams to carry more members on scholarship to account for incoming recruits and student-athletes who had been in their last year of eligibility who decide to stay. In a nod to the financial uncertainty faced by higher education, the Council vote also provided schools with the flexibility to give students the opportunity to return for 2020-21 without requiring that athletics aid be provided at the same level awarded for 2019-20. This flexibility applies only to student-athletes who would have exhausted eligibility in 2019-20.

Schools also will have the ability to use the NCAA’s Student Assistance Fund to pay for scholarships for students who take advantage of the additional eligibility flexibility in 2020-21.

Division I rules limit student-athletes to four seasons of competition in a five-year period. The Council’s decision allows schools to self-apply waivers to restore one of those seasons of competition for student-athletes who had competed while eligible in the COVID-19-shortened 2020 spring season

@Fin-Loco

So currently NFL rules are that college players have X amount of years of eligibility. They need to use that up before they are permitted to enter the draft. So as an example, Trevor Lawrence doesn't play this year, and is still a junior football wise meaning he's not eligible for the draft what happens?

Rules for the draft are in here.

Players enter the draft every year without using up all tehir years of eligibility. For example Tua only used up 3 of his 4 years of eligability before turning pro as a junior. I believe you can turn pro years after your high school graduation class regardless of hom many years of college eligability you have used. At that point even if you've only played one college season you could declare for the draft. Trevor Lawrence will be eligabile for the 2021 draft regardless of if there's a college football season in 2020.

Players enter the draft every year without using up all tehir years of eligibility. For example Tua only used up 3 of his 4 years of eligability before turning pro as a junior. I believe you can turn pro years after your high school graduation class regardless of hom many years of college eligability you have used. At that point even if you've only played one college season you could declare for the draft. Trevor Lawrence will be eligabile for the 2021 draft regardless of if there's a college football season in 2020.
Hmmm. So you're saying that as long as three calendar years have passed since HS graduation, they can come into the NFL?

Hmmm. So you're saying that as long as three calendar years have passed since HS graduation, they can come into the NFL?

Yes, you can turn pro 3 years after your high school graduation, regardless of how many years of college football you've player. The 3 years part didn't make my earlier post for some reason. For example, if you graduate in 2020, go on a two year mission, return and play a year of college football you could officially turn pro after your frehman season.

Back
Top Bottom