If we take Rivers... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If we take Rivers...

finjim

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
it will mean we are entering rebuilding mode. If we draft a WR it means we are going to try and win next year.

No. If we sign a veteran QB, it means that we're still trying to win this year, grooming a rookie. If we don't sign a vet QB and start Rivers, then that means the FO believes the kid can handle it.

I just don't see the point in spending a first round pick on a guy unless he's going to start right away. Rivers won't start yet.

Originally posted by finjim
I just don't see the point in spending a first round pick on a guy unless he's going to start right away. Rivers won't start yet.
I don't think he will either. It's hard for any rookie to start from day 1 at any position, let alone QB. The point in spending a first round pick on a guy is that potential franchise QBs don't come out every year. Even if we sign one of the vets avail, we'll probably only get a few years out of him. We need to bring in a rook.

I think the admins should put up a Rivers category for Rivers threads. :lol:

Everyday there's a new thread on Rivers:
The interesting thing about Rivers is...
Buffalo wants Rivers...
Wood for Rivers...
Rivers went to my high school...
If we draft Rivers...
Rivers eats frosted flakes for breakfast...

Just poking some fun. ;) I'm also pretty excited about the prospect of a legit rookie QB coming to Miami. Especiallly one who looks like he'll be able to hit WRs IN STRIDE. :eek: Imagine that...so the threads are fun. It's been way too long since Miami used a 1st rounder to draft a QB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some say Rivers might be capable of starting...

...but I wont make that assertion. If he's picked I think he needs to acclimatise to the speed of the NFL first. However, your reasoning appears to be that there's no tomorrow, which is the modus operandi we have had for the las few years. Has it been successful in your view?

Re: Some say Rivers might be capable of starting...

Originally posted by GazPhin
...but I wont make that assertion. If he's picked I think he needs to acclimatise to the speed of the NFL first. However, your reasoning appears to be that there's no tomorrow, which is the modus operandi we have had for the las few years. Has it been successful in your view?
I wouldn't assume that either. Every rook has to adjust to the NFL. I wouldn't be able to tell you whether or not I think he could start though. I don't know spit about college ball, and I've never seen him play.

On your other point, we need to break the mold. I'm tired of just trying to reload every year because we're "so close", all the while neglecting the QB position.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by finjim
it will mean we are entering rebuilding mode. If we draft a WR it means we are going to try and win next year.

that's bs. in 1983, fresh off of a super bowl run, miami took a qb in the first round b/c that was their weakest position. did that put them in rebuilding mode? you draft what you need, and what does this team need more than anything: a longterm qb. minnesota did the same thing in '99. if a guy is there that may be the answer to the qb woes, take him.

Also note that Miami reached the super bowl again within 2 years of drafting a rookie 1st rounder Marino.

If Trestman becomes our new OC this is perfect and the stage will be set to draft Phillip Rivers. People naturally talk about Rivers as a WCO quarterback. The fallacy concerning WCO quarterbacks is that they don't need good armstrength or a good deep ball. While this isn't true at all really, Rivers' mistake free brand of football, great accuracy, quick release, and natural timing play perfectly into a WCO. In order for the offense to work though, he needs to be able to stretch the field or CBs will sit on the short routes. I think in games, he CAN stretch the field.

What makes me nervous is Ricky Williams as a WCO runningback. Does he really fit that mold? Keep in mind we invested TWO first round picks in him.

I dont see the fascination with the WCO....................that being said, is it possible to implement a WC type Offense with a punishing style rushing attack, or is that like an oxymoron or something?

Back
Top Bottom