If you had to choose between Woody and Tait. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If you had to choose between Woody and Tait.

If you HAD to choose.

• OT John Tait

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • G/C Damien Woody

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • Neither

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
Who would you choose?

I would choose Tait hands down. I just said this in another thread...but you dont go and overpay for a guard when you have a gaping hole at tackle with someone standing there ready to fill that hole.

Tackle is still the most important position on the line, and a good tackle tandem will get you a lot in both the passing game AND the running game.

Woody wants to break the bank and be the highest paid inside lineman ever. Is he the best inside lineman ever? Nope. He's not as good a center as Olin Kreutz, Kevin Mawae, or Dermonte Dawson, and he's not as good a guard as say, Larry Allen.

Hey I say we get him and if we did he'd be a GREAT addition no doubt. He wouldn't solve the OL problems alone though. I'm afraid of getting into a bidding war for him. If the Lions are offering an $8 million signing bonus, let them have him. Remember when we opened up the checkbook fat and wide for Kevin Donalley? That didn't work out terribly well for us. He was an alright guard for us definitely and did good things in Carolina this year but the point was we had an ailing line and opening up the pocket book for a guard didn't solve those problems.

BUT, when we drafted Todd Wade in the 2nd round, instantly we've got the best running game we'd seen around here since Andra Franklin, or even since the good ole days of Czonka, Kiick, and Morris.

This is pretty sad I dont know how people got convinced that Damien Woody is Larry Allen incarnate

Tait, Ive always wanted tait, and now it seems like Woody is gonna play money hungry....Ive said it before ill say it again, ill take someone whos blocked for a superb back, Tait.

The basic problem we seem to be ignoring is that even if we signed Tait TODAY, we have to sweat it out for 7 days while we wait to see if KC will match.

That may handcuff us from signing another top guy and still lose Tait!

Its no different than if we signed Woody TODAY. Sign Woody today and his cap number counts for us for the rest of free agency not just 7 days.

I fail to see the difference between the signing sheet and the regular contract agreement. In either case we can't go on spending that money in the rest of free agency.

Give Tait the right contract and it doesn't matter, because the Chiefs won't match. I'd rather overpay for a 29 year old bookend than a guard. Both are former first round picks.

But, we know we'd have him. By signing Tait to an offer sheet, our cap is tied up for 7 days wating for KC to match and unless the signing bonus is huge or the deal is severely front loaded, they WILL match, IMO. In the mean time, other viable options sign elsewhere.

Ya sign Woody, he is yours. Plus, the way Ricky loves to run inside, such as the inside counter, we need interior guys like Woody and James.
We can get a very similar player to Todd Wade by signing the guy he is replacing, Greg Randall, for about half the price. Both powerful inline run blockers that can struggle when placed on an island pass blocking.

How old is Woody? He's a young player and previously a probowl center....whether we move him back to center or not, I would have to think that with the ability that he showed at that position, would mean that it's only a matter of time before he is a probowl guard...If we sign him to an eight year contract, that signing bonus doesn't look too bad.

If we want to have a dominant running game, we need to be able to open holes up the middle on a consistent basis, I think I would rather shore up the interior line as best we can so that we can accomplish this goal.

Originally posted by MrClean
But, we know we'd have him. By signing Tait to an offer sheet, our cap is tied up for 7 days wating for KC to match and unless the signing bonus is huge or the deal is severely front loaded, they WILL match, IMO. In the mean time, other viable options sign elsewhere.

Ya sign Woody, he is yours. Plus, the way Ricky loves to run inside, such as the inside counter, we need interior guys like Woody and James.
We can get a very similar player to Todd Wade by signing the guy he is replacing, Greg Randall, for about half the price. Both powerful inline run blockers that can struggle when placed on an island pass blocking.
great minds.....:D

Like I said man, the money that gets tied up by signing Tait to an offer sheet is no more or less than it would be if he didn't have the transition tag on him. I guess it boils down to whether or not you think the Chiefs will match. I personally do not. I think they would have used the franchise tag if they were really committed to keeping him, or they would have renegotiated his contract long before now. Look at us with Wade. If we were really committed to keeping him, we would have renegotiated him a year ago, and we still refused to match Houston's offer. I think if he gets a fair market value contract they won't match.

A tackle is monumentally more important IMO to the run game than a guard, and I can't give you the X's and O's as to why but I can tell you that usually when I see a good running game, I see at least one very good tackle and usually two. Everytime in recent history that our running game has been worst than it should have been, we've had at least one really weak link at tackle...from James Brown to Spencer Folau to Wade Smith.

And conversely everytime we've had a running game that exceeded expectations recently, we got credit for good tackle play...from Todd Wade's uber-rookie season with Richmond Webb's rejuvenation, to Mark Dixon being the road grading guard he was except at tackle, and Wade having a good year...in 2002.

One could argue chicken or egg, is the good running game the result of good tackle play or do tackles get a lot of credit naturally when the running game is good. I dont know. I just know they always seem to be correlated. And I also know we whipped out the pocket book to pay Kevin Donalley and it did nothing for our run game even though he's a good guard, while we drafted uber-rookie Todd Wade and immediately we had a rejuvenation across the board on the OL.

I selected tait for two reasons

1 - OT are harder to find in FA and Draft...we know Tait can start.

2 - Tait is in Miami and obviously is interested in talking to us. Woody doesnt think enough of us to come down for a face to face meeting.

The Chiefs got a steal last year in Brett Williams. He will take over at RT.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Like I said man, the money that gets tied up by signing Tait to an offer sheet is no more or less than it would be if he didn't have the transition tag on him. I guess it boils down to whether or not you think the Chiefs will match. I personally do not. I think they would have used the franchise tag if they were really committed to keeping him, or they would have renegotiated his contract long before now. Look at us with Wade. If we were really committed to keeping him, we would have renegotiated him a year ago, and we still refused to match Houston's offer. I think if he gets a fair market value contract they won't match.

A tackle is monumentally more important IMO to the run game than a guard, and I can't give you the X's and O's as to why but I can tell you that usually when I see a good running game, I see at least one very good tackle and usually two. Everytime in recent history that our running game has been worst than it should have been, we've had at least one really weak link at tackle...from James Brown to Spencer Folau to Wade Smith.

And conversely everytime we've had a running game that exceeded expectations recently, we got credit for good tackle play...from Todd Wade's uber-rookie season with Richmond Webb's rejuvenation, to Mark Dixon being the road grading guard he was except at tackle, and Wade having a good year...in 2002.

One could argue chicken or egg, is the good running game the result of good tackle play or do tackles get a lot of credit naturally when the running game is good. I dont know. I just know they always seem to be correlated. And I also know we whipped out the pocket book to pay Kevin Donalley and it did nothing for our run game even though he's a good guard, while we drafted uber-rookie Todd Wade and immediately we had a rejuvenation across the board on the OL.
Iagree with the chicken or the egg comment....we'll have to disagree on that concept but, why would KC even bother with the tag ....they can't think he's going to get anything less than a fair market offer can they?:confused:

Back
Top Bottom