If you saw an offensive lineman with the first pick. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If you saw an offensive lineman with the first pick.

ZOD

Ruler of the Universe
Reaction score
If you saw an offensive lineman with the first pick in the Miami Dolphins draft would you be disappointed? I'd really like to know everybodys take on this one.

I went to the 2001 Ravens/Dolphins playoff game and saw a huge difference in the amout of push the two offensive lines allowed to the pocket. I think we had Gogan/Donnalley on the inside then and I think that group was better than what we had in 2003. 2002 seemed to block well for the run but pass protection was still lacking.

So here is my question.

What would your reaction be if you see the pick of Robert Gallery, Shawn Andrews, Ben Wilkerson, Chris Snee, David Baas, Jonathan Clinkscale, Vernon Carey, Jacob Rogers, Michael Munoz, Nat Dorsey, or Ray Willis with the Dolphins first pick?

I keep looking at the seemingly loaded talent at the wide receiver crop coming in and I still think we can get a playmaker with whatever pick will be our second (Ogun trade or not).

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by ZOD
If you saw an offensive lineman with the first pick in the Miami Dolphins draft would you be disappointed?

Only because a rookie O lineman probably won't be able to help immediately, whereas a rookie WR could. But if it were a real stud that had dropped to us I wouldn't mind.

Originally posted by ZOD
If you saw an offensive lineman with the first pick in the Miami Dolphins draft would you be disappointed? I'd really like to know everybodys take on this one.

I went to the 2001 Ravens/Dolphins playoff game and saw a huge difference in the amout of push the two offensive lines allowed to the pocket. I think we had Gogan/Donnalley on the inside then and I think that group was better than what we had in 2003. 2002 seemed to block well for the run but pass protection was still lacking.

So here is my question.

What would your reaction be if you see the pick of Robert Gallery, Shawn Andrews, Ben Wilkerson, Chris Snee, David Baas, Jonathan Clinkscale, Vernon Carey, Jacob Rogers, Michael Munoz, Nat Dorsey, or Ray Willis with the Dolphins first pick?

I keep looking at the seemingly loaded talent at the wide receiver crop coming in and I still think we can get a playmaker with whatever pick will be our second (Ogun trade or not).

I tend to think this way too Zod. I dont know why everyone is so rigged to get a WR in the first round. first off, there are so many WR in the league and people get cuaght up in names. If we could have just gotten brandon stokely instead of thompson, we would have been gold IMO. we need to find the next stokely and forget about all these big names. the other thing is that WR's have more ability to be busts at the next level or take a couple of years to develope as rookies.
The Oline is what a makes a champion IMO. Teams who continue to ignore the problem will fail. I see alot of people blaming Wanny or Wayne for no change but the real change needs to happen on the Oline. Pure and simple. QB as well. if their is one position of the three , WR is the one where you can always have a backup plan and pently of WR to get the job done. You need 5-8 good Olinemen. We only need one good wr opposite Chambers. that person could be Darryl jackson and the problem is solved there. Then there is no need to get a WR in the draft IMO.

With that mentioned keep in mind that there are WR's out there like keyshawn who will be in the market that people are forgetting. that means the market for WR' will be more plentiful. when plentiness abounds, you find answeres to your other probs first.

Here is my thinking. If the O-line dominates, I mean all world domination, I could play RB and you can play QB and with our D we will still win 10 games! If our o-line is awful, I mean the worst you can think of Dan Marino and Barry Sanders in their prime wouldnt get us 17 points a game. Of course these are total extremes but we need to work on getting closer to option1 and further from option 2. I wouldnt be sad at all if we dealt for 2 or 3 dominating o-lineman and maybe a QB and that was it.
Youd be surprised what would open up downfield if Ricky can get 4.5-5.0 yards per carry throughout the year.

I dont know too much about Denver but it seems no matter who they get at rb they can run for 100-150 yds. WE have RICKY and we struggled for that number all year!

This NFL draft is loaded with Offensive Guards and Offensive Tackles with good value in 3rd round..

Assuming Miami gets a 1st and 3rd for Ogun, I would go QB and WR in first round.. OT and OG in 3rd round

Originally posted by ZOD

I for one would be disappointed. Only because the top 2 linemen will be gone by then and after that they are all toss ups.

What would your reaction be if you see the pick of Robert Gallery, Shawn Andrews, Ben Wilkerson, Chris Snee, David Baas, Jonathan Clinkscale, Vernon Carey, Jacob Rogers, Michael Munoz, Nat Dorsey, or Ray Willis with the Dolphins first pick?[/B]

As I stated above, I'd be OK with Gallery or Andrews (although his weight problems worry me..kinda like Aaron Gibson) Snee and Baas are good but not worth a 20th. Same for Carey. Munoz stayed in school. Rogers is a 2nd rounder. Dorsey & Wilkerson have had injury problems. And I don't know anything about Willis

I keep looking at the seemingly loaded talent at the wide receiver crop coming in and I still think we can get a playmaker with whatever pick will be our second (Ogun trade or not). [/B]

I believe that 8 of the top 10 WRs will contribute their first year. And a majority of them will contribute as starters. Which is why I think they should move down in the draft and try to pick up 2nd rounder (which they don't have). They could still get a good WR and have more options for another position with a 2nd rounder.

They can fill OL needs in Free Agency. Tiat, Jones, Clifton, Pace, McIntosh...all of these O-Tackles are Unrestricted FA. All we have to do is give them a contract. We don't have to give up draft picks. And there's also Timmerman, Woody, Goff, and Flynn at C and OG. All unrestricted!

If you look at the Free Agent WR crop...it's a little less appealing. A lot of preople keep talking about Steve Smith. Well he's restricted and they would have to give up picks to sign him. Same with Justin McCareins. TO is unrestricted but we'd have to break the bank for him and his "Me First" attitude sucks. He's a locker room cancer. The other UFAs are Northcutt, Darrel Jackson, Streets, Marcus Robinson, Dez White and Kevin Dyson. Of those only Northcutt and Streets are appealing. They still have potential that can be tapped. That being said, I'd still feel a lot better with one of the guys coming out of the draft.

I would love to pick up one of those big OL with the first pick but the best guys will be gone by then. So if you look at what we could pick up in FA, it makes more sense to fill the OL holes with established players and pick up a WR with the first pick. And it's smart to pick a skilled position player with the 1st pick too.

Some people say that WRs take at least 2 or 3 years to develop but just look at Moss, Coles, Chambers and it hurts to say it but also Boldin. Is it a sure bet that if you pick up a WR that he will contribute in a big way right away? No. But it's worth a shot.

You take the best player available

It's that simple. Of course, I'd suspect that player be a OL, QB or WR. If they don't like what they see, then trade down. Trading down is what my personal preference is because, as the poster noted above, good value exists in round 3 for OL help and I suspect the same would hold true for WR's.

If Miami makes a hard run at Brunell, I really doubt we'll go after a QB in round 1. Marino is even singing the company line with the "we're close" talk. You can bet your last dollar that if Brunell signs a 3-4 yr deal with Miami to start, we will be looking for a player in round 1 to help him (WR or OL), not a player to replace him in 05'.

In a nutshell, a Brunell signing means Miami won't use a high pick on a QB until 05' or 06' (if then). Of course that doesn't stop us from trying to unearth a nugget in this year's draft in the mid-late rounds (ala Cody Pickett, Casey Clausen, Jarod Lorenzan).

The area the Dolphins need along the offensive line is at the guard positions, and you simply don't take guards in the first round unless they are a can't miss prospect.

I don't see any guards that are can't miss prospects. The best guard in the draft is Justin Smiley, and he's not a 1st round prospect.

What about that Vernon guy.

Honestly the way our line is any offensive linemen worth taking in the first is going to be an upgrade no matter what. Although I'd only take an offensive linemen if we get that 2nd 1st rounder for Ogun.

I think whatever we do, we need to work on the O-line.

We need to do what the Ravens did. Get a massive, road grading line. We wont have someone like Jon Ogden, but still. That O-line MADE Jamal Lewis. Ricky is faster, has better vision and moves, and has comparable power.

The difference is we have one of the worst run blocking lines in the leagu,e he had the best.

I believe the best draft are when you draft the better value at a need postion.

Originally posted by KBISBACK
The area the Dolphins need along the offensive line is at the guard positions, and you simply don't take guards in the first round unless they are a can't miss prospect.

I agree. Guard is definitely the biggest need. While I certainly wouldn't be opposed to using our first pick on a lineman, I think we'll likely be trading down before we do so.

Still, I'd love to have a mammoth like Carey plowing the road for Ricky.

The best value for guards comes in the second and third rounds, where you can get immediate starters if you don't reach like we did with Whitley.

Back
Top Bottom