Ignore Dorsey? That's a mistake | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ignore Dorsey? That's a mistake

lynchmobb34

Starter
Reaction score
Ken Dorsey has a weak arm. How do we know? Lots of NFL scouts have told us so. The league certainly believes its own rhetoric, ignoring Dorsey in the draft until the 49ers selected him in the seventh round. That's borderline free-agent territory, strange land for a guy who is 6-4 and 208 (quality measurables, folks) and barely lost a game as a starter for one of the country's premier college programs.

Maybe I can halfway believe that Brad Banks, another college quarterback hero, isn't truly NFL stuff despite a luminous senior season at Iowa. Banks is 5-11 and not particularly accurate, and those traits produce more interceptions than touchdowns in Paul Tagliabue's game.

But Dorsey? I just don't get it. He wasn't merely diminished by pro scouts, he was shredded. Forget his production. Forget his aptitude to win. Forget his size, his intelligence, his leadership skills. The NFL virtually has.

We rush to hand out draft grades before we have a clue whether any of these players really are as good, or as bad, as the pros want us to believe. Teams frequently are guessing, and then they are telling us how Johnny One-Talent was just the guy they wanted, and they couldn't believe he still was available when their turn came.

Give 'em all A's. No mistakes are ever, ever made on draft day.

I don't buy it. I don't buy Ken Dorsey being the 241st player selected in this draft, behind a bungling horde of no-names and reaches and hardly-have-a-chance prospects who can't come close to matching the plus he has over almost everyone chosen in this draft: performance.

It has to count for something. He has won, and don't tell me it was because of everyone else on that talented Miami team. Someone still had to read the defense and put the pass on target. Go to an NFL minicamp and watch veteran quarterbacks throw under no pressure against half-speed defenses, and count how many of those passes are inaccurate. You'll need more than two hands. Hitting a moving object is never easy; doing it under pressure takes skill. Doing it at Dorsey's level is worth more than a seventh-round cup of coffee.

I want Dorsey to make it big in the NFL. I want him to expose a draft that is conducted too late in the spring, that includes far too much analysis, that has become twisted by Combine results and private workouts and rumors and rushes to incorrect judgments.

It's simple with Dorsey. He can play. That, ultimately, should count the most, whether it is the NFL or Pop Warner.

this is from a staff writer at sporting news,for some reason his name was deleted,but i for one agree with alot of what he said,does anyone else feel the same?

Last edited by a moderator:
this belongs in the college football forum ...not on the Dolphins forum.

I actually heard that Dorsey really improved and that the 49ers asked him not to talk about their workout with him because they thought that if the media found out about it, he would have gone higher in the draft.

Ice no offense but there's no way that Dorsey would have kept quiet about a good work out if he could have improved his draft status....the story is most likely not true.

Originally posted by inFINSible
Ice no offense but there's no way that Dorsey would have kept quiet about a good work out if he could have improved his draft status....the story is most likely not true.

It was on ESPN, it sounds unlikely but that was what the report was.

Im not saying that dorsey will be great,or even good,im not quite sold on dorsey either,the main reason why i posted it was because of (EDDIE MOORE)what i agreed with in the artical was that the nfl puts to much into 40ty times,and bench reps,and not enough into heart,and guts,and not to mention experence.There have been alot of solid players that didnt have great 40ty times,bench 400lbs 20+ times,or have a 40 inch vertical off 1 foot.you dont have to be a unreal athleate to be a good pro,basicaly what i want to say is the more i think about the MOORE pick,the more i understand it.they took a guy that will be a solid pro for a long time(barring injury),hes not off the chart fast,or strong,or athletic,hes decent at every thing, hes a guy that will give you all hes got,and brings experence,and attitude,and thats why this team took him.

49ers took dorsey as a long shot. they like his game but know that whether or not he ever steps foot on an NFL field depends on how hard he works. he can't take the field with toothpick arms a 35 yard long ball. If he hits the weights and turns his body around to meet the standard of winning that got him drafted, then the 49er have a steal. if not, they only lost a 7th round pick. good choice by the 9ers.

Back
Top Bottom