I'm Confused About a Couple of Things!! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I'm Confused About a Couple of Things!!

DolfanISS

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
I knew coming into the season that the Miami Dolphins would not have the best offensive line in football but this is ridiculous. This is basically the same line that helped produce an 1800 yard rusher last season and didn't give up a lot of sacks. Is it all Wade Smith's fault???? After reading DCH's post you would think we are the worst team in the NFL. Remember guys the O-line was adequate in the first 7 games and has only really blew chunks for 2. If Mare could have just made one of those 35 yard field goals against the Pats we'd be in much better position. Yeah the Indy game was ugly but Indy's 11 play 10 minute drives were hurting us just as badly as the O-line was. I say we beat Baltimore on Sunday because Chris Redman will give the game away. I know this O-line has been playing piss poor as of late but there are plenty of other supposedly "talented" players who need to be called out also. Sometimes it looks like Jason Taylor just gives up on rushing the passer. We saw it Sunday and we saw it in the New England game when Brady broke contain and hit the 82 yard pass. I think the following players need to step it up.

The whole O-line (captain obvious)
Ricky
Chambers
Thompson (McKnight should start)
Konrad (needs to help with RDE)
Taylor (can't believe this guy had 18.5 sacks last season and HE IS NOT GETTING DOUBLE TEAMED OR CHIPPED OFTEN despite popular belief)
Knight (what have you done lately)

When you see guys getting hit 3 yards before the first down marker on multple occassions and still getting the first downs that is a lack of heart. I don't mind losing if the team at least shows up to play.

Originally posted by Z28&dolfan
I knew coming into the season that the Miami Dolphins would not have the best offensive line in football but this is ridiculous. This is basically the same line that helped produce an 1800 yard rusher last season and didn't give up a lot of sacks.

This is a crude one cup of coffee explanation and it might already be an answer you know.

There are a number of different ways to stop the run with four down lineman. The one way the dolphins do it is for the the two interior lineman (Bowens and Chester) to control their men (guards) at the line of scrimmage with dual A and B gap responsibilities. Mainly they just serve as a wall to keep the offensive line off of the linebackers. It's also the reason why they get no significant amount of inside push on the pocket in pass protection. Zach is free to read and react to run or pass.

I'm not saying this is what the defenses are doing but if you don't fear the pass a defense could get as agressive as this. If you don't fear the pass you can cut the D-lines responsibilitie down to single gap (A gap) responsibility giving the linebackers or safety B gap responsibility. It's a free for all to the QB and leaves the Offensive coordinator no chance to run a play action, draw, or any play that may take some delay to develope. It's really just little league football and it's dangerous in that league even.

x x x
x x x x

Count the gaps in between the 0's. The x's are four down lineman and three linebackers. With single gap responsibility on Defense there is no offensive line in the league that could block it routinely.

Why did the run work last year? For some reason some respected our ability to pass. Then at some point we faced a team sold out to stop Ricky and the next team saw our inability to capitalize on it with the pass. Then that team sold out to stop Ricky and we didn't capitalize on it. Now they bet the whole freakin farm, the kids inheritance, and college tuition that we will not capitalize on their scheme.

The draw, the play action, and the counter that worked last year is not going to work because teams don't fear the pass. The linebackers play run the entire game because although the plays listed above threaten to pass-

We can't throw and catch.

Like I said. This is "crude" but it's as simple as I can make it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom