In depth look into Michael Turner's rushing yards | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

In depth look into Michael Turner's rushing yards

mandal24

Genesis
Reaction score
In no way am I trying to make a claim that Michael Turner is overrated because I believe the guy is a great talent but I do question if his total rushing yards last year were a bit overachieving..Here's why...

In 4 games last year vs arguably the worst rushing defenses in football- the Rams, Chiefs, Raiders, and Lions (those are some sh**ty defenses), Michael Turner ran for 671 yards and 6 TDs!!! That is an average of 168 rushing yards per game and and 1.5 TDs per game.

His other big game came against Tampa Bay where he ran for 152 yards and 1 TD. Anyone who watched football last year knew that although TB's defense is usually fierce, they tanked at the end of the year (Most likely because Monte Kiffin already had his walking papers ready)

In contrast to that, in the four toughest defenses Michael Turner faced, he ran for 224 yards and only one TD. Those defenses include Tampa Bay (the good TB defense, before they tanked), Minnesota, Philly, and Chicago.

Basically with all that information, I'm trying to state that Atlanta took advantage of the weaker rush defenses they faced. Turner did not look too impressive against some of the stingier run defenses. I see Miami as being somewhere in between, not necessarilly a top run defense (especially with the absence of Matt Roth this year) but definitely no slouch either.

In contrast to that, the biggest runner against Miami last year came in week 16 @ Kansas City. Without Crowder in the lineup, LJ ran for 108 yards. To defend Miami's weak run defense that game, we game planned for the spread formation.

I agree that Turner is being looked at like a world burner. He is not Adrian Peterson. I think the Falcons will find that their run game will give them few holes.

One thing that will tell you also is that, if the run D does not show up, expect Turner to totally abuse us.

I dunno how well our rush defense is going to hold up without Roth. Its the one thing that greatly concerns me TBH. I remember the first game last season between the Redskins and Giants. The Giants totally went after Jason Taylor and had great success running directly at him. I expect the Falcons to do the same early against the Fins on Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom