In Honor of Clayton & Duper | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

In Honor of Clayton & Duper

Da 'Fins

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Reaction score
As most of you know from the media reports, these two will have their names placed on the Dolphins "ring of honor," next season.

It's about time! Dan Marino was the greatest passer I've ever seen (and I've seen them from Unitas forward). But, no matter how great a QB one may be, he needs receivers to make plays. There's no doubt that Danny made Duper and Clayton better, but the same is true of them with respect to Dan. Certainly, there were other targets of Dan's - "Crash" Jensen (always loved him over the middle), Joe Rose, Bruce Hardy, Tony Nathan, Nat Moore, Irving Fryar, Keith Jackson, OJ McDuffie, etc. After Clayton and Duper left the Dolphins, Marino was still in his prime and still had some great games and very solid years. But, they were never as dominant as when those two were in the game.

Duper was the classic speed merchant. A premier deep threat in his day. Though he was not a big WR, his thighs were powerful. There has not been a Dolphin WR since who could get behind the DB's like Duper. There's no telling how many times he caught a Marino bomb after he had separated some 3-5 yards from the DB (you just don't see that kind of separation in the league today, even from the best WR's). I have many favorite games of Duper's, but probably one that sticks out was the opening game of 1984 when the Dolphins beat the Redskins (who were still a great offense) and Marino threw up 5 TD's. Duper had a great game that day. There were several other that year, but it was such an explosive game that I had a strong feeling the Dolphins would be in the SB after it was over.

Clayton was not as fast as Duper, but just as deadly. He had exceptional hands and amazing quickness. His ability to stop on a dime and turn was as good as any. He was Dan's favorite target through the years. He was fearless over the middle. Often Dan would throw the ball into heavy coverage - and Clayton would come down with a spectacular catch. Though he wasn't as fast as Duper, he was often able to go deep as well, with his great moves, route running and leaping ability. There are several great catches I remember from Clayton's years. He had an awesome leaping grab at the edge of the endzone against Pittsburgh in the AFC championship game that propelled us into the SB in '84. He had a great game against the Cowboys on MNF, later that year. The catch off the helmet of a Bears player which went for a TD in one of the greatest Dolphin games of all time in 1985, when Marino/Clayton/Duper and company single-handedly kept the Bears from going undefeated (they went 18-1 that year).

My favorite Clayton grab however, one I can see as vividly today as when it happened, was in a 1991 playoff victory against the Chiefs at home. We trailed 16-3 and won 17-16 (I believe). The Dolphins were driving and down near the 10 yard line when Marino threw an "out" to Clayton who was blanketed by the Chiefs CB. But, Dan threw the ball the only place it could not be knocked down or picked off - it was a low bullet at the shins. Catching a pass like that, while standing up is very difficult to do. Especially one that is just rifled, as this was. Clayton, coming back to the ball (moving away from the Chiefs endzone) snagged it out of the air about a foot off the ground (the ball was just inches under the CB's hand - any higher and it would be knocked down or picked), near the 10 yard line. Not only was it a great catch, but the instinctive move he made after that was just as spectacular. The moment the ball hit his hands his foot was planted and he whirled away from the DB and pranced into the endzone. How that ball made it to the endzone without touching the ground ... it still amazes me! I remember just sitting there with my jaw open!

Two great WR's who brought countless thrills to the Dolphins along with Marino. Marino to the Marks brothers - one of the greatest passing trio's, if not the greatest, of all time. Yes, they deserve to be there.

Re: In Honor of Clayton & Duper

Originally posted by Da 'Fins
My favorite Clayton grab however, one I can see as vividly today as when it happened, was in a 1991 playoff victory against the Chiefs at home. We trailed 16-3 and won 17-16 (I believe). The Dolphins were driving and down near the 10 yard line when Marino threw an "out" to Clayton who was blanketed by the Chiefs CB. But, Dan threw the ball the only place it could not be knocked down or picked off - it was a low bullet at the shins. Catching a pass like that, while standing up is very difficult to do. Especially one that is just rifled, as this was. Clayton, coming back to the ball (moving away from the Chiefs endzone) snagged it out of the air about a foot off the ground (the ball was just inches under the CB's hand - any higher and it would be knocked down or picked), near the 10 yard line. Not only was it a great catch, but the instinctive move he made after that was just as spectacular. The moment the ball hit his hands his foot was planted and he whirled away from the DB and pranced into the endzone. How that ball made it to the endzone without touching the ground ... it still amazes me! I remember just sitting there with my jaw open!

This is one of my favorite moments in Dolphins history. I still remember the roar of the crowd when Clayton pivoted and walked into the endzone. It was probably the loudest I ever heard any Phin crowd.

Some great memories here thanks.

Great assessment and Marino would not be where he is today w/out these two guys.

Now, I'm not completely sure about this but it is something that I have always thought.......Marino , Duper and Clayton had a special chemistry and one of my favorite plays that they used to do was, and this is where it gets subjective, Dan would throw the ball AT the back of the defender and Dup or Calyton would stop jump over the defender and get the ball before the defender ever knew it was coming.....It was beautiful....it worked so well and so often that I beleive that it changed the face of the corner back and WR positions....teams started paying more attention to leaping ability and size. Even though Dup and Clayton were smurfs those guys could sky. Teams started looking for bigger corners because of them, and that led, in turn, to teams looking for bigger receivers....I think it has changed the positions so much that these two guys that are going up in the ring of honor for the Miami Dolphins may have a hard time getting drafted in today's game. i've never heard anyone else mention any of this so I could be completely wrong but, this is something that I have believed for a long time. I think Danny owes more to the Marks Brothers than anyone even realizes. It took two recevers that came into the league and changed the way things were done AND the greatest passer of all time to set all those records.

I agree, infins. Marino & the Marks were experts at the 'behind the back' passes - and I think it did change the game to some degree. But, I would say that the size of Jerry Rice, then Michael Irvin also impacted the big CB rush.

The amazing thing to me is that Marino/the Marks/ and Miami's offense of the 80's revolutionized the passing game - making it much more wide open ... and there have been many teams and QB's who've emulated them with even more sophisticated attacks and throwing more passes (e.g., Bledsoe, Warner, etc.), yet no one has broken his records! I thought Gannon might break the yardage mark last year, but, as much as they were passing, the fact that he didn't is a great testimony to 1984. I think it was, head and shoulders, the greatest year any QB has ever had. No one has come close to the 48 TD's and the 5084 yds have stood for a long time in a league that is even more pass happy than it was then.

I was also at the Chiefs game that night in January 1991. That was the loudest I've ever heard the crowd at Pro Player. And that includes the playoff comeback against the Colts. One of the best 4th quarters you ever saw. And one of the best performances by the Dolphin D (against Christian Okoye and Barry Word).

I had forgotten that we were actually 12-4 that year....and still were only a wildcard team.

That was an amazing throw and catch by Marino-Clayton. Simply unbelievable. The cool part was, later that summer, I opened up a pack of football cards.....and there was that play!! It was a beautiful shot of Clayton making the catch just beyond CB Albert Lewis. On the back, there was a nice explanation of the play and of the entire game. Man, if I knew where that card was today......it'd be posted as my tagline.

Clayton, Duper will be honored

Clayton, Duper will be honored
The Dolphins have decided to induct Mark Clayton and Mark Duper into the team's prestigious Honor Roll, which could repair the relationship between the franchise and two of its most accomplished wide receivers.
Clayton is still in my top 5 players of all-time

My favorite Duper moment was the bobbled TD catch against the Jets in '85 - I believe. My mother had sent me out - on purpose, I might add - to get food for the family that night. I was fumming! Luckily there was a bar on the way to the market that faced the outside window. I was able to witness that drive culminating in that fantastic catch. I remember the the crowd in the bar were extremely upset - this is in NYC - and noticed this 12 year old kid going berzerk outside the bar. Duper was by far my favorite of the Marks and I will definitly have a tear in my eye when those two will be honored! They more than diserve their place in Dolphin history.

They going to honor them at a certain game? Don't happen to know which game? I'm guessing it's gonna be a night game which would be good that way I get to see it..

Back
Top Bottom