In the face of adversity...... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

In the face of adversity......

phinphan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
the truth will be revealed.

Sunday September 29th will go down in Dolphin history as a black, bleak day. Miami got spanked by the Chiefs. They were outplayed in pretty much every department. Miami was embarassed, trampled, out coached, out hustled and in short, just plain ol' bullied. As a fan, I feel sick to the stomach after a game like yesterday. I can't perform basic tasks such as speach for at least one hour after the game. Food suddenly tastes more bitter, and I find myself looking for someone to blame, for anything and everything. Knowing this makes my next sentiments even more bizaar.

After waking up this morning, sitting down to my cup of coffee, and varifying that yesterdays debacle wasn't simply a nighmare, I began to collect my thoughts. I then managed to startle myself when my misery gradually started to mutate into a wierd sort of acceptance.

Losing hurts. When the bully beats you, stands over you, calls everyone around to watch you squirm, then proceeds to dish out more emotional torment it can just be soul destroying. However, I am a great believer that there is something in the expression: "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger". On October 3rd 1994 a wounded team woke up after an 40-8 drubbing by the Philadelphia Eagles and had two choices. They could either be content with being a team that could dominate the easy games and choke in the key match ups. Alternatively, they could fuel themselves with the memory of this game, be thankful that their weaknesses had been exposed sooner rather than later, and learn that there is a difference between arrogance and confidence. The 49ers went for the latter option, and won 10 straight games on the way to a memorable Superbowl win. It wasn' easy, with an offensive line that was a mash unit, and a running game that just never seemed to work as it should. But they learned from every mistake, and turned those weaknesses around.

It is easy to remember Superbowl winners as having easy schedules, good health and simply good luck on their route to the big game. But the fact is, that overcoming adversity is part of what makes a team great. Ask the Patriots how to respond when you are sitting at 1-3. Ask the Ravens how to keep fighting when your offense hasn't scored for seven games.

This roster isn't perfect, but then it never will be. Players are not fully healthy, but then how many ever are. When the sun has set on the off season, dreams of a entirely all pro depth chart have evapourated, and the season has begun, the team that is left, is the one that must play the season. The coaching strategies must improve, the starters may get shuffled, but if this is to be the Superbowl champion Miami Dolphins, the strength must come from within. Pretty football is great to watch, but if the Dolphins are to win this year, they need more. Its time to win ugly, Its time to show more heart than the other team, no matter what the odds. Its time hustle. Its time for 60 minutes of blood, snot and tears.

Keep the faith.

Oh, and .........GO PHINS.

Originally posted by phinphan
the truth will be revealed.

Sunday September 29th will go down in Dolphin history as a black, bleak day. Miami got spanked by the Chiefs. They were outplayed in pretty much every department. Miami was embarassed, trampled, out coached, out hustled and in short, just plain ol' bullied. As a fan, I feel sick to the stomach after a game like yesterday. I can't perform basic tasks such as speach for at least one hour after the game. Food suddenly tastes more bitter, and I find myself looking for someone to blame, for anything and everything. Knowing this makes my next sentiments even more bizaar.

After waking up this morning, sitting down to my cup of coffee, and varifying that yesterdays debacle wasn't simply a nighmare, I began to collect my thoughts. I then managed to startle myself when my misery gradually started to mutate into a wierd sort of acceptance.

Losing hurts. When the bully beats you, stands over you, calls everyone around to watch you squirm, then proceeds to dish out more emotional torment it can just be soul destroying. However, I am a great believer that there is something in the expression: "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger". On October 3rd 1994 a wounded team woke up after an 40-8 drubbing by the Philadelphia Eagles and had two choices. They could either be content with being a team that could dominate the easy games and choke in the key match ups. Alternatively, they could fuel themselves with the memory of this game, be thankful that their weaknesses had been exposed sooner rather than later, and learn that there is a difference between arrogance and confidence. The 49ers went for the latter option, and won 10 straight games on the way to a memorable Superbowl win. It wasn' easy, with an offensive line that was a mash unit, and a running game that just never seemed to work as it should. But they learned from every mistake, and turned those weaknesses around.

It is easy to remember Superbowl winners as having easy schedules, good health and simply good luck on their route to the big game. But the fact is, that overcoming adversity is part of what makes a team great. Ask the Patriots how to respond when you are sitting at 1-3. Ask the Ravens how to keep fighting when your offense hasn't scored for seven games.

This roster isn't perfect, but then it never will be. Players are not fully healthy, but then how many ever are. When the sun has set on the off season, dreams of a entirely all pro depth chart have evapourated, and the season has begun, the team that is left, is the one that must play the season. The coaching strategies must improve, the starters may get shuffled, but if this is to be the Superbowl champion Miami Dolphins, the strength must come from within. Pretty football is great to watch, but if the Dolphins are to win this year, they need more. Its time to win ugly, Its time to show more heart than the other team, no matter what the odds. Its time hustle. Its time for 60 minutes of blood, snot and tears.

Keep the faith.

Oh, and .........GO PHINS.

Wow...think I can put the tissue box away now! That speach brought tears to my eyes! Great writing. Yesterday was a miserably looooong day.....and if I can just keep my friends from putting freakin Red and white streamers all over my car, I should be fine! On a lighter note.....it sure beats seeing the damn green and white streamers for the past 4 years!!

Gooo MIAMI!!

Hopefully, we Phin fans will get the last laugh :D

BTW, thanks for the compliment.

Back
Top Bottom