Instant Upgrades... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Instant Upgrades...

DPhinz_DPhinz

I cash reality checks....
☠️ Banned ☠️
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Excluding the obvious...QB, through the early part of the draft what are some positions that instantly make the position better skill wise and fiscally? In no order of importance, I would go:

Defensive chess pieces:

FS - move McCain to Slot/FS as opposed to FS/Slot/etc. (The kid from Bama - rd 2).

SS/LB - IDC what happens to Jones, and he's my boy, but it's business (Simmons - Steelers pick, SS out of Colorado/Nasirideen from FSU...2nd/3rd).

Offense:

C - Kilgore...acceptable, but Cushenberry out of LSU has quietly been getting it done to the point I am willing to pass on the two C's that get most of the ink and snatch him up (2nd/3rd rd).

RT - Davis is a back up lineman IMO, but his contract is saying he's a starter (Wills out of Bama, Niang out of TCU, Wirfs out of Iowa...1st - 2nd)

These were chosen with equal importance put on performance and salary. I don't think we have the luxury of BPA type drafting until we get our talent UP.

RT - Davis is a back up lineman IMO, but his contract is saying he's a starter (Wills out of Bama, Niang out of TCU, Wirfs out of Iowa...1st - 2nd)
I wouldnlt say Davis is getting paid a starting tackle rate, but yeah any position on that OL could be instantly upgraded with an early pick.

I wouldnlt say Davis is getting paid a starting tackle rate, but yeah any position on that OL could be instantly upgraded with an early pick.
4 years $15 million

That's not a starting RT salary, but I doubt if it's a backup RT salary. It may be a prudent move if he can play 3 spots on the o-line as a back-up in the future.

4 years $15 million

That's not a starting RT salary, but I doubt if it's a backup RT salary. It may be a prudent move if he can play 3 spots on the o-line as a back-up in the future.
Yeah I think that was the plan, a swing tackle who can also cover as guard.

Makes sense. The secondary needs a lot of work. I doubt Jones is with Miami too much longer so safety is a pretty obvious need.

I go back and forth on wanting to build around the quarterback in this draft. Load up on offensive weapons and offensive lineman (would prefer that route in free agency). And wanting to get those premier positions: qb, pass rusher, corner, blindside protector, wide receiver. I think those positions need to be the emphasis with the caveat not to reach for lesser talent.

Some people will say that any player we draft high would be an upgrade to what we have and in many cases is true.
DE/Edge and DB's are the priorities on defense for sure.

Other than QB we need help at OT and a fast play making WR as well.
Boehm has been pretty good since he took over at Center so I doubt we draft one before the 3rd day of the draft. Flores has said in not so many words that there's no need to use high picks for the Oline, specially guard/center. Still, I believe they will get at least one or two free agents for the line. A safety and a Corner are also possible in free agency.

Another position they'll need to add to is RB. I like Walton but can't see him as a #1 and while this staff likes to use more than one RB I can see them bringing one more guy in.

4 years $15 million

If Davis is your best Olineman, you're in a world of hurt. If he's your 4th best line man and you shuffle him around because he can play any position but center, you're doing pretty well. He'll probably start the next 2-3 years somewhere on the line as we upgrade and deal with injuries. I think you can build a strong oline with him in that role and then he's a solid vet back up...

Some people will say that any player we draft high would be an upgrade to what we have and in many cases is true.
DE/Edge and DB's are the priorities on defense for sure.

Other than QB we need help at OT and a fast play making WR as well.
Boehm has been pretty good since he took over at Center so I doubt we draft one before the 3rd day of the draft. Flores has said in not so many words that there's no need to use high picks for the Oline, specially guard/center. Still, I believe they will get at least one or two free agents for the line. A safety and a Corner are also possible in free agency.

Another position they'll need to add to is RB. I like Walton but can't see him as a #1 and while this staff likes to use more than one RB I can see them bringing one more guy in.
I believe center is more important than OT for the offense we are running. All else aside was wondering, agree or not. I will follow up with more. Brady has repeatly said his C is the most important . If we nail our qb in draft is ot still more important than c. I'm curious. I want Humphreys or baidasz over ot in 1st...and I know I'm prob crazy lol

I believe center is more important than OT for the offense we are running. All else aside was wondering, agree or not. I will follow up with more. Brady has repeatly said his C is the most important . If we nail our qb in draft is ot still more important than c. I'm curious. I want Humphreys or baidasz over ot in 1st...and I know I'm prob crazy lol
Center is very important and I never said it wasn't. What I said was that Flores said earlier this year that you can get o-line without using high picks. When I look back at the Pats drafting inside linemen, you have to go back to 2016 when they took Thuney in the 2nd round.In 2015 they took a center in the 5th round. In 2014 they took a center in the 3rd round. In 2012 and 2013 they took Zero oline. Now I know we're not the pats but that's where Flores got that from.

We'll see tho, he might do things different here but Flores said that fixing the oline was a priority and we didn't go oline till the 3rd round.

Center is very important and I never said it wasn't. What I said was that Flores said earlier this year that you can get o-line without using high picks. When I look back at the Pats drafting inside linemen, you have to go back to 2016 when they took Thuney in the 2nd round.In 2015 they took a center in the 5th round. In 2014 they took a center in the 3rd round. In 2012 and 2013 they took Zero oline. Now I know we're not the pats but that's where Flores got that from.

We'll see tho, he might do things different here but Flores said that fixing the oline was a priority and we didn't go oline till the 3rd round.
Never ment to put words in your mouth was just wondering. I know the pats don't spend high on Oline. Now, i think we do and will with 1st. I guess my question is do you go ot or c 1st...and by the by...I hope we spend **** tons to steall thuney from pats in off season :)

Never ment to put words in your mouth was just wondering. I know the pats don't spend high on Oline. Now, i think we do and will with 1st. I guess my question is do you go ot or c 1st...and by the by...I hope we spend **** tons to steall thuney from pats in off season :)
Couple of things about the pats and us. People always say that the pats don't take this position or that position high but really, the pats don't take any position high cause they never draft high....lol

I think what we do in free agency will have a lot to do with what we do in the draft of course. I'd like to see us get two free agents for our oline plus draft one. If we only had one pick in the first round I'd say we'd not take oline at all but since we have 3 then anything is possible including OT or Center I know people here like Biadaz but I like Humphrey in the 2nd round again, depending on free agency first and how Boehm does the rest of this season. Maybe we don't need a center after all. One thing's for sure. This coaching staff has done a good job of coaching this oline so far.

Couple of things about the pats and us. People always say that the pats don't take this position or that position high but really, the pats don't take any position high cause they never draft high....lol

I think what we do in free agency will have a lot to do with what we do in the draft of course. I'd like to see us get two free agents for our oline plus draft one. If we only had one pick in the first round I'd say we'd not take oline at all but since we have 3 then anything is possible including OT or Center I know people here like Biadaz but I like Humphrey in the 2nd round again, depending on free agency first and how Boehm does the rest of this season. Maybe we don't need a center after all. One thing's for sure. This coaching staff has done a good job of coaching this oline so far.
Niether humphreys or Baidasz make it to second round. We grab qb and de w our first 2 picks. Hump and bad on board with out last 1st. Who do you take?

Niether humphreys or Baidasz make it to second round. We grab qb and de w our first 2 picks. Hump and bad on board with out last 1st. Who do you take?
If it was up to me I would not take neither of them. I really would go for a corner or safety at that spot but again, it all depends on free agency.

If I had to take one of those two then I'd take Humphrey just to go against the grain....lol

If it was up to me I would not take neither of them. I really would go for a corner or safety at that spot but again, it all depends on free agency.

If I had to take one of those two then I'd take Humphrey just to go against the grain....lol
Corner or safety at our 3rd #1 makes much sense. I know we need but think we can go w the 2nd round for that. Let's say same we get qb and de then do you go Humphrey or wirfs

Corner or safety at our 3rd #1 makes much sense. I know we need but think we can go w the 2nd round for that. Let's say same we get qb and de then do you go Humphrey or wirfs
Wirfs but I'm expecting him to be gone by our 3rd pick of the first round. He could be the 2nd OT taken.
Btw, when it comes to WR's this seems like a deep class so I'd take on in the 2nd round probably. I'd prefer a guy with top speed as we already have big guys with Parker and Preston. Here's one more thing to consider. If we go QB first then Young will be gone by the time we pick again and the drop off at DE after Young is pretty big imo so with that 2nd pick I'd be think corner or safety depending on who's there.

Back
Top Bottom