Interesting Justin Herbert article | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Interesting Justin Herbert article

Herbert is a quality guy with loads of talent, I think he'll do well.

If Miami takes Herbert, I suspect most of the fan base will be disappointed. Yet, he probably falls somewhere between Josh Allen and Carson Wentz as a prospect. Both quarterbacks were in the playoffs this year, although Allen has a ways to go to be a top 10 caliber signal caller. Wentz, if healthy, is top 10 in my book.

I have reservations about Herbert, but maybe Miami finally has the right coaching staff to develop a quarterback to his full potential. Going to a spread offense adds an interesting aspect as well.

If Miami takes Herbert, I suspect most of the fan base will be disappointed. Yet, he probably falls somewhere between Josh Allen and Carson Wentz as a prospect. Both quarterbacks were in the playoffs this year, although Allen has a ways to go to be a top 10 caliber signal caller. Wentz, if healthy, is top 10 in my book.

I have reservations about Herbert, but maybe Miami finally has the right coaching staff to develop a quarterback to his full potential. Going to a spread offense adds an interesting aspect as well.

I'll take between Josh Allen and Carson Wentz, imo that would make for a great draft pick.

People tend to think Miami WILL draft Tua or WILL draft Burrow or whomever. No one knows where any of the alleged top QBs are ranked by Miami or how close #3 is to #2. We DO know that Miami's (or any team's) board won't match those of anyone here. Personally, I'm leaning Tua, but I'm honest enough to admit Miami may not agree. If not, I'll take Herbert as my next-in-line.

There is a lot to like with Herbert, and some things he will need to improve.

I would not be unhappy with him but I would be unhappy with him at #5.

Take a dominant DL player like Brown or Kinlaw, or a play everywhere LB like Simmons and then move up from 18 to grab Herbert(or Love)if you have too.

You do not just take the best QB left over at 5.

Take a dominant DL player like Brown or Kinlaw, or a play everywhere LB like Simmons and then move up from 18 to grab Herbert(or Love)if you have too.

Yes you do. Herbert might be gone by #5. If we don't trade up to #2 or #3 and Love is the best QB left I'd pick him.

People tend to think Miami WILL draft Tua or WILL draft Burrow or whomever. No one knows where any of the alleged top QBs are ranked by Miami or how close #3 is to #2. We DO know that Miami's (or any team's) board won't match those of anyone here. Personally, I'm leaning Tua, but I'm honest enough to admit Miami may not agree. If not, I'll take Herbert as my next-in-line.
I've been reading a bunch on James Morgan QB FIU; I wonder what the difference is between him and Herbert. If Tua slides to 5, i say nab him; if not, and 5 is too high for Herbert, I wonder if Morgan is sort of a "Herbert Light"; thenfldraftnetwork (link: https://thedraftnetwork.com/prospect-rankings) has a good write up on Morgan. No QB is starting next year anyway, and this guy physically has it all. Daniel Jeremiah loved his interview with Morgan at the E/W Shrine Bowl. If Tua isn't there at 5, take another stud(Brown? Kinlaw? Ozudah?) and trade down to the end of the 1st with #26 and snag Morgan at the end of the first. I think this guy is unbelievably intriguing. And if you miss on him, you are missing on him with your third pick of the first round after trade downs. Still hurts, but damage is somewhat minimized.
(For the record: I am not beating the drum for him - I just find him intriguing and if he is so similar to Herbert, which it sounds like, he can be had way later if Tua isn't there at 5)

I've been reading a bunch on James Morgan QB FIU; I wonder what the difference is between him and Herbert. If Tua slides to 5, i say nab him; if not, and 5 is too high for Herbert, I wonder if Morgan is sort of a "Herbert Light"; thenfldraftnetwork (link: https://thedraftnetwork.com/prospect-rankings) has a good write up on Morgan. No QB is starting next year anyway, and this guy physically has it all. Daniel Jeremiah loved his interview with Morgan at the E/W Shrine Bowl. If Tua isn't there at 5, take another stud(Brown? Kinlaw? Ozudah?) and trade down to the end of the 1st with #26 and snag Morgan at the end of the first. I think this guy is unbelievably intriguing. And if you miss on him, you are missing on him with your third pick of the first round after trade downs. Still hurts, but damage is somewhat minimized.
(For the record: I am not beating the drum for him - I just find him intriguing and if he is so similar to Herbert, which it sounds like, he can be had way later if Tua isn't there at 5)

My problem with sports writers and a number of posters here is I can spin an article/post to paint any prospect as elite or below UDFA. I know nothing about Morgan other than I've seen his name on some lists of draft-eligible QBs. You may be right.

I suspect one of Tua/Herbert will be there at #5 and will be mildly surprised if Miami doesn't pull the trigger. OTOH, I won't be shocked if they don't go QB at #5. I'd love to get a peek at their board.

I mean I haven't ruled him out of being selected #1 overall, so 5 is absolutely fine.

You don't play around with QB.

Im still torn on Herbert. For a guy to be so talented physically you would think he'd have more wow moments/games in his college career. I know that some coaches think they can fix or mold Herbert, but can OUR staff do it? I dont want to draft a QB just to draft one. Would he fit Chan Gailey's offense?

If Flores really wanted Chan Gailey and his teaching ability and play calling he could've had it to begin with when he took the job last year. Instead of having to fire O'Shea and suddenly go in the direction of coaxing a 70 year old offensive coordinator out of retirement.

It doesn't make an ounce of sense to draft a quarterback just because he fits Chan Gailey's offense no matter what quarterback it is. You better be drafting him because you believe he's going to be an elite player and the spearhead of your organization for the next 10 years - no matter whether the guys that are here are still around or not. Because odds are they won't be. Especially the 70 year old offensive coordinator.

If I were the head coach, Gailey would be expected to fit an offense around the guy I draft.

Absolutely. How long is Gailey likely to coach anyway?

It would be crazy to tie yourself to a player that fits the style of a 70 year old OC.

I am still flummoxed by his hiring to begin with.

I’d rather gamble on a QB with the physical attributes to be great than a QB that’s injury prone and posses average physical traits.

I'll take between Josh Allen and Carson Wentz, imo that would make for a great draft pick.

I wouldn't take it. Both of those guys were 6.7 YPA this season. That is reject territory.

Allen has always had accuracy issues. Wentz has entered that strange realm of tunnel vision impatience and line drive reliance. It is uncertain whether he'll ever relax again and get out of there.

ckparrothead had the great chart recently on downfield accuracy. That's the type of measure to look at because it links to everything else. I'm not exactly worried about a guy who is accurate deep but not short. The likelihood of that is so slim -- or so pachydermal -- that I'll willing to risk. Likewise to have that type of downfield accuracy it means you can throw the arch to fit the evolving needs of the play. As I've mentioned many times Burrow first caught my attention as a legit prospect during that bowl game against UCF as a junior. There were plenty of wow throws in that game, within a more standard offense.

Tannehill was always a strange case because he had the accuracy but he lacked or was erratic with touch and field vision and obviously the pocket awareness stuff. Plus not a leader. IMO, with Herbert you volunteer many of those weaknesses, just not the identical combination. Herbert is less accurate and probably has less touch, but superior in aggressiveness and pocket awareness/running instincts.

It's a logical problem when it's a 3-star recruit you are dealing with. Lots of those guys don't fully believe in themselves. It's one of the reasons I'm drawn to premier recruits even if they have slipped. Those guys are arrogant. Burrow was 4 star recruit, not 5, but pursued by Ohio State and nobody has ever questioned his confidence. Do you think Justin Herbert is capable of a tweet like Burrow's awesome, "Keep me in your thoughts," from the other day? Not a chance.

Tua makes the most sense. He was second behind Burrow on that downfield accuracy list. He has a highly rated recruit drawing comparisons to Steve Young before setting foot on campus. He bailed out the national championship game as a true freshman. He has the extended stretch of multiple seasons of tremendous 11 YPA. He has the big hands. He has the self confidence. He has the unquestioned ability to vary downfield pace and loft. He has unquestionably a strong enough arm.

That's the type of risk I want to take. This is very easy for me as a gambler. If it fits the system you play it. Good things tend to happen. Let others fret all the subjective unknowns including injuries.

If you take Herbert instead, then you're best hope is that he wakes up and thrives when suddenly it is a downfield offense and not all the sideways garbage he dealt with at Oregon. But Jordan Love's 2018 is already on the table as evidence of that type of thing. I prefer Love among the two.

Back
Top Bottom