Ireland mentioned 2 players he expects to burst on to the scene: Miller and Matthews | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ireland mentioned 2 players he expects to burst on to the scene: Miller and Matthews

Didn't he also say that Michael Egnew is going to have a great year?

i wouldn't put a lot of faith in Jeff's predictions this time of year.

Get a free agent WR and get a rookie high in the draft. i believe that's the plan. i think Bess stays but as the third or fourth guy. Not a starter.

... or maybe we trade him to New England for a 2nd where he goes on to numerous probowls ala Wes Welker. :crazy:

Why would we trade for an expensive Harvin with 1 year left on his deal when we have Bess? We will draft/sign a playmaker. No need to get rid of Bess. He is hardworking and sure handed and has a year experience with Tannehill. Sign Hartline, try to get Jennings or Wallace in free agency, and then draft a guy in rounds 1-2. Then Matthews will have a few years to figure it out. Maybe even draft Swope.

could care less about anything Ireland has to say about players he expects to break out , he is probably still waiting on `roberto wallace to break out

Stedman Bailey would be a more dynamic fit in the slot. His strength and eexplosiveness would be perfect with great route runners in Jennings and Hartline with I'm sure another drafted receiver and Mathews.

ive already said as much. swope say bye bye to bess.

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

could care less about anything Ireland has to say about players he expects to break out , he is probably still waiting on `roberto wallace to break out

why, he cut him.

Those players have some nice traits. And then you'll see why they were third day picks. Try to win pivotal games with third day picks featured in the skill positions and I know what the likelihood is.

I'm sure we'll be bombarded with exceptions. Message boards are flooded with guys who scramble to find exceptions. Other than no value, it's a great hobby.

Ten point favorites sometimes lose by 20. But line them up and eventually it's a 4/1 success rate. Never varies much. Same holds true for every range. I realize I reference odds too much but it's what I know, and often it applies. Jeff Ireland seems to want to believe he's 10-20% better than the competition or the norm, that he can pay on the cheap and locate gems down the road. I suspect, and evidence shows, that he's very close to average. His fourth round picks will balance out to fourth round return, and so forth. Who really cares if he's touting Lamar Miller and Rishard Matthews to explode far beyond where they were taken? It's the same point I've made with the stadium. Tout a patchwork all you want but it's still a patchwork, with the fundamentals largely unchanged.

I can relate because I've been stupid and arrogant often enough. In the '90s and into the early '00s I had great success in ripping early quarterback picks. On a Las Vegas radio show on KDWN where I was frequent guest handicapper and draft analyst I hated on Tim Couch in particular, but also on Andre Ware and David Klingler and Akili Smith. The problem is, once you succeed using a certain approach you assume it will repeat. I wasn't paying nearly as much attention to players as I had previously, but thought I could quickly look at a quarterback and assert he'd fail to live up to expectations. And I've been wrong time and again. I remember I didn't particularly like Joe Flacco. I didn't really know anything about Joe Flacco, other than he transferred in college and didn't fit my preferred resume. The wisdom of the crowd has tremendous value. That's what I'm saying. There must have been a reason Player X went mid first round and Player Y lasted until the fourth. You may beat the field by a few percent but not consistently, and not dramatically higher than that.

We need to hit on the premium picks. Skill position, preferably. Tannehill, maybe. At least there's danger from him, even if he's not close to Flacco in terms of varying pace and loft to fit the evolving needs of the play. Jonathan Martin has lower athletic ability than an early second rounder should feature. We can't continue to make that type of mistake.

I would be so depressed if Wallace/Hartline/Austin were our top 3 wr's.
All three of those guys can be shut down by good nfl defenses.

Imo Patterson and Hunter are the two guys we need to target. Those are the two, imo, that will be the best wr's we can get this offseason, including the FA wr's.
Size, speed, redzone targets, breaking tackles, jumping and athletic ability.
In my world we get two of these types of guys instead of one. I'm that frustrated with our offense.

Wallace, Hartline, Austin, each of those guys individually can be shut down by a good nfl qb imo.
They each got great attributes, but they also got severe deficiencies in other areas.
We have seen ourselves the issues with Hartline, how easily he can be taken out of a game by a good defense/db.
I'm in the minority where I never really saw the big deal with him to begin with.
I'm just not really impressed with what he's done. I really don't want him as even a #2 anymore. Maybe #3, but I'm a Bess homer.
Wallace is overrated as hell imho.

I just really want to make our wr's a strength on this team. Hence, get two #1's.
So first question is, who do we think are the #1's? Draft and FA?
Imo, it's Patterson and Hunter. I feel more confident about these 2 than anybody else.
So I want us to do whatever it takes to go get them.

If there ever was a year to do it, it's now, we have the draft picks, so we don't end up shortchanged.
Trade a 2/3 and get into the 1st.
So we have a 1st/1st/2nd/3rd.
I can't go through another year with this passing offense. It's been years now, and I reached a breaking point.
I don't want to depend on one guy. I rather us get 2 and be done with it.

I would be so depressed if Wallace/Hartline/Austin were our top 3 wr's.
All three of those guys can be shut down by good nfl defenses.

Imo Patterson and Hunter are the two guys we need to target. Those are the two, imo, that will be the best wr's we can get this offseason, including the FA wr's.
Size, speed, redzone targets, breaking tackles, jumping and athletic ability.
In my world we get two of these types of guys instead of one. I'm that frustrated with our offense.

Wallace, Hartline, Austin, each of those guys individually can be shut down by a good nfl qb imo.
They each got great attributes, but they also got severe deficiencies in other areas.
We have seen ourselves the issues with Hartline, how easily he can be taken out of a game by a good defense/db.
I'm in the minority where I never really saw the big deal with him to begin with.
I'm just not really impressed with what he's done. I really don't want him as even a #2 anymore. Maybe #3, but I'm a Bess homer.
Wallace is overrated as hell imho.

I just really want to make our wr's a strength on this team. Hence, get two #1's.
So first question is, who do we think are the #1's? Draft and FA?
Imo, it's Patterson and Hunter. I feel more confident about these 2 than anybody else.
So I want us to do whatever it takes to go get them.

If there ever was a year to do it, it's now, we have the draft picks, so we don't end up shortchanged.
Trade a 2/3 and get into the 1st.
So we have a 1st/1st/2nd/3rd.
I can't go through another year with this passing offense. It's been years now, and I reached a breaking point.
I don't want to depend on one guy. I rather us get 2 and be done with it.

I agree! a 2 way player at qb that can also cover corners would be AWESOME.

Why would we trade for an expensive Harvin with 1 year left on his deal when we have Bess? We will draft/sign a playmaker. No need to get rid of Bess. He is hardworking and sure handed and has a year experience with Tannehill. Sign Hartline, try to get Jennings or Wallace in free agency, and then draft a guy in rounds 1-2. Then Matthews will have a few years to figure it out. Maybe even draft Swope.

Harvin already said he plans to hold out if he doesn't get a new contract, which I'm not sure how he plans to with the new rules, but OK. With that said, trading for Harvin is like signing Greg Jennings or Mike Wallace, in addition to giving up a pick in a trade. If you don't give him that deal he's looking for, he will be just as much of a problem as he is in Minnesota. He's a great talent, but I don't want no part of that kid on this team.

If you ask me that is simply smoke screen, meaning we will sign a WR or 2 (obviously) but also bring back reggie or sign a veteran back

Wake up from lala land and snap back to reality. There is no way the Fins are trading for Harvin. Philben already had Ireland trade Marshall and Davis because they were head cases and malcontents on and off of the field, and "me" first players. There is no way he signs off on trading for the exact same thing he is trying to rid the franchise of.

I think when we traded Marshall that his "me" mentality was only a small part of it. Marshall was just under performing for what he was getting paid and he just didnt fit Philbin's offense. When Marshall was in Miami I really dont recall anything he did that was horrible, untill after we traded him that story broke about him getting arrested or whatever it was. Plus Philbiin also took a chance on Chad Johnson, so I dont think Philbin would object to Harvin just because he's bit of a head case.

Let Bess go?!?! You people know that drugs are illegal right?

Back
Top Bottom