Is Chris Akins healthy now? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Chris Akins healthy now?

phinfan2003

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
Last I heard, his injury was considered career threatening. He's still listed on the roster so I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about his status.

In one of the pre-draft write-ups I seem to remember someone saying he would be back this year but that he was being looked at as only a special teamer not someone for the safety rotation. Anyone else got anything?

Ohiophinphan said:
In one of the pre-draft write-ups I seem to remember someone saying he would be back this year but that he was being looked at as only a special teamer not someone for the safety rotation. Anyone else got anything?

We originally signed him to play special teams because he is one of the best special teams players in the NFL. I don't think the Fins have ever considered using him a lot at safety.

With the lack of depth at the safety position I wouldnt be suprised if he was used a little bit at safety.

I kind of forgot all about Akins with all the new guys that we got. I do think that Akins could compete with Bua at being our 5th S that plays ST's. At the end, i dont see Akins making the team, but i do hope i am wrong.

Ohiophinphan said:

For some reason, I don't think that Saban would keep a guy around whose only job was to play ST. The player would have to also be versatile enough to contribute in other areas.

TerryTate said:
With the lack of depth at the safety position I wouldnt be suprised if he was used a little bit at safety.
Yes, I was actually thinking the same thing. To be honest though, if he's healthy I'll really be looking forward to see him on Special Teams. Hopefully he's healthy now because last iI heard his career was in jeopardy.

phinfan2003 said:
I don't think that Saban would keep a guy around whose only job was to play ST.

So you don't think we'll keep Welker?

phinfan2003 said:
For some reason, I don't think that Saban would keep a guy around whose only job was to play ST. The player would have to also be versatile enough to contribute in other areas.

I agree But I dont think the guy has anything 2 contibute to the club at all, I look for him 2 be cut sooner than later.

Welker plays WR reasonably well. Well enough for the 5th or 6th spot. Also he plays in the st kick-off coverage unit. and he's a back-up kicker... Last time i checked saban was all about that versatility thing.

byroan said:
So you don't think we'll keep Welker?

If Saban feels that Welker can only play as a KR and as a PR (which I don't think will be the case) I don't think he'll stick around. I love the guy and he's proven to be versatile for us. I think he'll stick around as a 5th or 6th WR. On the other hand, if Akins is our 3rd safety who can't play the position, he'll be gone.

Back
Top Bottom