Is Having (or Taking) More Time to Throw the Ball Overrated? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Having (or Taking) More Time to Throw the Ball Overrated?

As long as there's coordination between the QB and his receivers with the timing of the play, then Yes, I believe more time to throw is good, at the very least, better than Not having a lot of time to throw. When you have Tannehill trying to deep-ball it to Wallace, and he's not in-sync with the play-time and over/under-runs it, or Tannehill over/underpasses it, then all the time in the world doesn't help you much. More time to throw also won't help if your receivers can't get open in the first place.

So I am wondering, should we let opposing qbs sit in the pocket all day and NOT pressure them?

So I am wondering, should we let opposing qbs sit in the pocket all day and NOT pressure them?
No, but perhaps we should strive to cover their first read very well, so that they take an amount of time to throw that's associated with poorer performance. :up:

No, but perhaps we should strive to cover their first read very well, so that they take an amount of time to throw that's associated with poorer performance. :up:

Ok, and what time frame is that? And what stat would be able to let our defense know on every play which (out of the 4 or sometimes 5) wr will be the first read?

I will be honest and I am sure you will be able to throw some stat up to prove me incorrect, but, when on defense, get to the qb as quick as possible, and when on offense, give your qb the most time possible in the pocket. I don't think you have to "think out of the box" to see how this might be the most advantageous way to go about business on both sides of the ball

Ok, and what time frame is that? And what stat would be able to let our defense know on every play which (out of the 4 or sometimes 5) wr will be the first read?
The stats here focus on 2.5 seconds and beyond, for which there is a big difference in QB rating.

Obviously there isn't something that would tell the Dolphins with complete certainty which of the opposing team's receivers is its first read, which is why I said "strive" to cover its first read very well. In essence it could consist of calling defenses that match up well with what the opposing offense has planned, which would likely involve a study of tendencies, etc.

Let me give you an analogy:

A person takes a 50 question multiple choice test. He answers 40 of the questions within 3 seconds of reading the question, and he is right 90% of the time on those questions.
The other 10 questions he takes 20 seconds or more to answer each, and is only right 60% of the time.
Therefore, we should conclude that answering questions in the first 3 seconds is preferable than taking time, because stats show you are right more often when answering quickly.

Back
Top Bottom