is jason taylor the best DE in football? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

is jason taylor the best DE in football?

I'm kind of... undecided, It's close, I guess I'd have to give Strahan the edge, with the sack count Muck posted over the past 3 years. They are really close though. I think JT will have the better year this upcoming season.

Jason Taylor the best DE

Without a question he is the best and he and O-Gun together are the best 1-2 DE punch easliy, now the Dolphins and Drew gotta get their heads out of their *** and get him signed.

Atila said:
you^ make some good points but the thing is you have to account for some of his sacks being coverage sacks...where as strahan will NEVER get one of those. i'd say he's had more than a handful of sacks caused from great coverage where as strahan has to get his asap cuz his defense is ****
You make a good point too but, I wonder how many of Strahan's opposing teams have gone to the three step drop, due in part to his presence and super quickness?

new england has gone, buffalo, is going, and I'm not sure about the jets but, they better get on that bandwagon.

I like what Andy Cohen has to say...

Jason Taylor. Is there a more dominant pass rusher in the league? Is there a player who can change the course of a game on the defensive side as quickly as Taylor?

I once heard a story from a player on another team on what it’s like to prepare to face Jason Taylor. They sit there in the film room in Buffalo or New England or New York and try to conjure up a way to contain this uncontainable man. With two blockers. With three blockers. With a special scheme.

“Aw,†said that player, “we just decided to run our offense in the opposite direction as Taylor.â€Â

http://www.miamidolphins.com/pressbox/andycohen/andycohen.asp?contentID=3309

(Hope I haven't violated any copyright laws.)

I like Taylor over Strahan. He's more disruptive IMO, or at least in the games I've seen him. Although I've seen much less of Strahan or Rice.

I LOVE ehat Taylor brings to the team... but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he is slightly over-rated. He has a knack for making big plays... but there are lots of games where he just disappears. And I'm not talking games where he was double-teamed, I am talking just games where he would face an elite Left-Tackle and would be shut out. Especially last year. I know the sack stats show different, but he had a very ordinary year.

He was not having an impact on very many games, and didn't even start putting up the sack numbers until teams started placing extra focus on stopping Ogun.

To me the true measure of a Defensive End is NOT sacks... but the amount of disruption they cause for the opposing team. Things like QB hurries, QB knockdowns, and although it is hard to find stats on those things... subjectively I feel JT hasn't been very high in those categories. Guys like Strahan, Freeney, and even OGUN, have seemed to make more of an impact there recently.

No doubt about it he is definitely Top-5 though... But, I think he lacks the Bulk and strength to be a force day-in and day-out in order to be considered THE best.

grooves12 said:
I LOVE ehat Taylor brings to the team... but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he is slightly over-rated. He has a knack for making big plays... but there are lots of games where he just disappears. And I'm not talking games where he was double-teamed, I am talking just games where he would face an elite Left-Tackle and would be shut out. Especially last year. I know the sack stats show different, but he had a very ordinary year.

He was not having an impact on very many games, and didn't even start putting up the sack numbers until teams started placing extra focus on stopping Ogun.

To me the true measure of a Defensive End is NOT sacks... but the amount of disruption they cause for the opposing team. Things like QB hurries, QB knockdowns, and although it is hard to find stats on those things... subjectively I feel JT hasn't been very high in those categories. Guys like Strahan, Freeney, and even OGUN, have seemed to make more of an impact there recently.

No doubt about it he is definitely Top-5 though... But, I think he lacks the Bulk and strength to be a force day-in and day-out in order to be considered THE best.

Totally disagree. Not only does JT do a good job of disrupting the offense passing game, he is very hard to run against and away from.

grooves12 said:

I'd have to disagree too. JT has TONS of qb pressures and knockdowns. Did you see how many times he was .2 seconds close to getting a sack? or when the tackle had to hold him or else it was a sack? He's very disruptive in the backfield, even when he isn't getting sacks. Taylor is pretty strong imo from what i've seen. I saw him drop one tackle who was at least 100 pounds heavier to the floor w/ one hand.

The only guys in JT's league is Strahan and maybe Rice.

taylor has a nice set of pearly whites where strahan has that gap...
advantage---JT

pilotfish said:
I like what Andy Cohen has to say...

Jason Taylor. Is there a more dominant pass rusher in the league? Is there a player who can change the course of a game on the defensive side as quickly as Taylor?

I once heard a story from a player on another team on what it’s like to prepare to face Jason Taylor. They sit there in the film room in Buffalo or New England or New York and try to conjure up a way to contain this uncontainable man. With two blockers. With three blockers. With a special scheme.

“Aw,†said that player, “we just decided to run our offense in the opposite direction as Taylor.â€Â

http://www.miamidolphins.com/pressbox/andycohen/andycohen.asp?contentID=3309

(Hope I haven't violated any copyright laws.)
That was nice. :D

I'm changing my opinion and giving the edge to Jason Taylor after what I've heard from yah'll, and the other stats given. I gave it originally to Strahan because of the sacks, but JT is such a more complete DE in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom