Is Luck vs. Tannehill the next Brady vs. Manning? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Luck vs. Tannehill the next Brady vs. Manning?

MRPRESIDENT50

Practice Squad
Reaction score
hires155473921_crop_exactjpgw650h440q75-1.jpg

Gregory Shamus/Getty Images
Today's NFL fans are always looking for the next great rivalry. For the last decade we have been treated to classic duels between Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. These two have battled it out for both AFC supremacy and the title of best QB in the NFL.
However, their time is closer to the end than the beginning and it is time to prepare for the next wave of great QB matchups. Week 9 presented us with a clash between Andrew Luck and Ryan Tannehill, a clash that showcased the immense talent and potential of both players.
Now, the Luck/RGIII rivalry may seem like the biggest moving forward, but playing in different conferences will severely limit the amount of times those two actually get on the field together. Luck/Tannehill on the other hand, could happen nearly every season.

hires93078694_crop_exactjpgw650h440q85-1.jpg
The Manning vs. Brady rivalry has been among the best in NFL history
Jamie Squire/Getty Images
Obviously these two are not ready to take the over the reins from Brady/Manning, but look at the great game they just put on. Luck's Indianapolis Colts edged out Tannehill's Miami Dolphins in a classic 23-20 thriller.
The contest came down to the fourth quarter and both QBs demonstrated why the future is bright for their respective franchises. Just like both Brady and Manning, Luck is already making a name for himself in the fourth quarter.

3yx5przfhwbp3pu10zpe_normal-1.png
ESPN Stats & Info
@ESPNStatsInfo
Andrew Luck now has 4 game-winning drives in 4th qtr/OT.. the other rookie starting QBs (Tannehill, Wilson, RG3, Weeden) have 4 total

4 Nov 12

It is these types of battles that can build a long-term rivalry that people care about. Manning and Brady have faced off countless times and always seem to deliver memorable performances. Luck and Tannehill both did just that on Sunday.
[h=4]Which potential rivalry is most exciting?[/h][h=4]Luck vs. Griffin III[/h]25.3%

[h=4]Luck vs. Tannehill[/h]68.9%

[h=4]Griffin III vs. Tannehill[/h]1.1%

[h=4]Something involving Wilson or Weeden[/h]4.7%

Total votes: 2,207

Luck set a rookie record with 433 yards passing and Tannehill did his best to keep up with 290 passing yards and two touchdowns. Neither player threw an interception and neither player ever relented in their pursuit of victory,
Are Luck and Tannehill already on the level of Brady and Manning?
Clearly not, but that is not the question being asked. The fact is that these two have laid the groundwork for a tremendous rivalry moving forward. The Dolphins and Colts are both organizations that are quickly gaining traction.
Indianapolis has exceeded any and all expectations with its 5-3 start while Miami is firmly in the middle of the AFC playoff race at 4-4. What we saw in Week 9 was hopefully only a preview of many great battles to come.
Reaching the levels of Manning vs. Brady will take many years and numerous Super Bowl titles, but Luck and Tannehill have given us a fantastic glimpse into the potential of their budding rivalry.

Great...so if we finish 2nd in the division this year we can probably look forward to a Monday night matchup with the Colts next year.

i think those are two very good comparisons...i see strong similarities with brady and manning...but with better athletes...tannehill reads coverage and has decision making a lot like brady...hopeflly like brady over time we'll get the better of the matchup also

For it to be the same rivalry The Dolphins and Colts will have to start winning their divisions regularly like Brady and Manning did.

Yep. All of this Luck/RG3 talk will subside eventually. RG3 isnt anywhere close to Luck's class.

Tannehill on the other hand will be matching up with Luck on the reg and whoever comes out ahead will likely be representing the AFC in Super Bowls down the line.

The cream will rise.

Great...so if we finish 2nd in the division this year we can probably look forward to a Monday night matchup with the Colts next year.

Yep. Good call. Although it could be a SNF matchup. It should be primetime either way. Im sure the league will be smart enough to schedule this game in a week in where it will be the featured matchup. Its going to be a good one for years to come. Were in business again!

Tannehill was playing with half a deck of cards against the Colts. THANKS IRELAND. Looking at our two-wide set with Hartline, Bess, and Fasano made me cringe. It's amazing we score any points. We need dynamic playmakers on the outside in the worst way with a beast, seam busting tight end that will go up on a ladder to catch the ball.

Unfortunately in Ireland's eyes, he sees no difference between a guy like Clyde Gates and T.Y. Hilton... giving the same draft grade. Why draft Hilton when I already have Gates, the same guy? That's the problem with Ireland, his value system on skill players lumps a group together allocated to specific rounds, he's plays the draft as if he's holding a booklet of coupons. If they look the same, run the same, they must be the same.

Having said all that, Luck played at an all world level. In all my time as Dolphin's fan, I've never seen anything like it from a young Qb. We were helpless time and time again on 3rd down. I tip my cap and glad that Tannehill was always to respond when he could and see what a potentially all time great looks like. Let's go Tannehill, now you know the how high the bar is, go get there!

Yep. All of this Luck/RG3 talk will subside eventually. RG3 isnt anywhere close to Luck's class.

Tannehill on the other hand will be matching up with Luck on the reg and whoever comes out ahead will likely be representing the AFC in Super Bowls down the line.

The cream will rise.

I fully expected Luck and the Colts to do better than RG3 & the skins.

Luck is easily the best QB to come out in over ten years. RG3 is a scrambling QB, along the line of Vick and Cam only quicker because he is a track guy.

Tannehill has an unusual skill set for a QB. He was a WR in college, he is also a VERY intelligent & driven player.

Just the fact that he has risen this high based on his limited reps in college to me indicates that he has a much higher ceiling than most rookie QBs.

It's ironic, I remember historically back when the colts were in our division those were always the worst selling games every year.

For it to be the same rivalry The Dolphins and Colts will have to start winning their divisions regularly like Brady and Manning did.

Miami is 4-4, if Miami can continue to win (they have an easier schedule remaining then the Pats), and beat the Patriots, that may very well happen. It will be tougher for the Colts, but anything can happen, they are only 2 games behind, and are hotter then the Texans, with also an easier schedule remaining.

The cream will rise.

Yup, what people need to remember, unlike Luck and RGIII, who pretty much are already finished products, Tannehill still has a has a ways to go, so he will be better in time. We all knew that of Luck, RGIII and Tannehill, Tannehill had by far the highest ceiling, we just did not expect him to be this good this fast, but you can still see he still has more to go till he reaches his potential.

Yep. Good call. Although it could be a SNF matchup. It should be primetime either way. Im sure the league will be smart enough to schedule this game in a week in where it will be the featured matchup. Its going to be a good one for years to come. Were in business again!

Also, even though odds are against it, what's to say they both don't see each other again this year. I know I would love to see a rematch. :lol:

Luck is in the AFC and RGIII in NFC. So they will most likely meet once every 4 years... not a rivalry regardless if they are the top 2 QBs.
What help create the rivalry between Ind/Peyton and NE/Brady was that both teams finished first in their division for most of their tenures, which guaranteed at least one regular season game and they also met in the Playoffs (since they both were very good teams).
In order for a Luck/RT rivalry you need to have Ind and Mia finish first for a few years.
Even if we finish first because of the defense, the media will create it a QB vs QB match.

If this year we and colts finish 2nd then I see it starts a rivalry - because I predict in 2 or so years - once Brady fades - and we on top of AFC East and let the rivalry continues every single year.

Back
Top Bottom