Is OC REALLY where we want "on the job training"? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is OC REALLY where we want "on the job training"?

PhinPhan1227

Why is there a watermelon there?
Reaction score
I have no doubt that Collier is a great personell guy. But is there ANY experience in game planning in his resume'? ANY? We're going to go up against Billl Bellicheck next season with a guy who has NEVER run an offense? How does that NOT give someone the screaming willies? Maybe the guy winds up as a prodigee, but is there ANYTHING in his history that points to him being able to run an offense? And it's not like we have a Head Coach who is an offensive genius to help him along. Granted, we have some Assistants who have a lot of experience, but does that mean we're going to have an offense by committee? I'm an optimist by nature, but I just don't see anything to get excited about here. The MAIN requirement of an OC is game planning the offense, and Collier has no more experience in that than anyone here on this BOARD. How does that not scare people? Then again, I was asking people on this board how they weren't scared going into the 2003 season with no veteran depth on the O-line, and I got ripped for being a pessimist, so I won't be surprised if I get the same reaction this time as well.

In short no we don't, but no OC is born an OC. They all have to be given their 1st chance.

Oliver...

and Collier has no more experience in that than anyone here on this BOARD

Totally unfair statement, unless you know for sure that's the case.

To be coaching as long as this guy has around both sides of the ball, he has to have at least SOME game-planning experience/abilities.

No way to know exactly how much....have to wait for camps to see I guess.

Amen Ollie, Like I said on another post, hard to believe that some people are trowing up the towell already. Oh well, I for one will like to see him coach in at least ONE preseason game before I want to kill the guy. But I know some people on here want him dead already. And the funniest thing is how so many people don't think he can do a good job just cos he's been the RB's coach.He's the OC, end of story. There's nothing that can be done. I hope it works out and I have a feeling that it will, but if it doesn't, is not the end of the world.

Ozzy rules!!

PhinPhan1227, I disagree with you on this one. The guys has been around and inputed into some of the best OC's we know. Like he said now he has to think quick to get the next play ready, by game day, believe the O plan will be ready..now it's just a matter of excusing it and adjusting as neccessary..he has two assistance to help him out that had OC experience, we'll be find..I'm more concern will who the players will be.

Originally posted by Danny
Amen Ollie, Like I said on another post, hard to believe that some people are trowing up the towell already. Oh well, I for one will like to see him coach in at least ONE preseason game before I want to kill the guy. But I know some people on here want him dead already. And the funniest thing is how so many people don't think he can do a good job just cos he's been the RB's coach.He's the OC, end of story. There's nothing that can be done. I hope it works out and I have a feeling that it will, but if it doesn't, is not the end of the world.

Ozzy rules!!

That's a more than fair Ozzy. Some think they can do a better job than the paid pro's. Some understand these guys, even the bad ones have forgotten more about football than all of us combined on Dolphin MBoards know about football.

Oliver...

One other thing, he has mini camps and preseason to adjust to his new job..he'll be ready be the start of the season.

Wasn't Collier the one who signalled in the play-call from the sideline to the QB last year? How's that for on the job training? Every offensive call went through him. He gets to do the same thing this year...but, he gets to sit upstairs and see the overview the field.

He can script out his first 20 plays. He can have 3rd and short scenarios already to go. He just needs to stay ahead and make the call quickly and decisively.

Most of his work is done during the middle of the week in installing the gameplan on the practice field. The gameplan is a collective design. And many hands will help to install it.

Re: Is OC REALLY where we want "on the job training"?

Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
I have no doubt that Collier is a great personell guy. But is there ANY experience in game planning in his resume'? ANY? We're going to go up against Billl Bellicheck next season with a guy who has NEVER run an offense? How does that NOT give someone the screaming willies? Maybe the guy winds up as a prodigee, but is there ANYTHING in his history that points to him being able to run an offense? And it's not like we have a Head Coach who is an offensive genius to help him along. Granted, we have some Assistants who have a lot of experience, but does that mean we're going to have an offense by committee? I'm an optimist by nature, but I just don't see anything to get excited about here. The MAIN requirement of an OC is game planning the offense, and Collier has no more experience in that than anyone here on this BOARD. How does that not scare people? Then again, I was asking people on this board how they weren't scared going into the 2003 season with no veteran depth on the O-line, and I got ripped for being a pessimist, so I won't be surprised if I get the same reaction this time as well.

Your worries are justified. I mean, sure we can afford to have a question mark calling plays for our offense that ranks below average. No worries there huh?

Maybe my expectations are too high for this team. I understand the policy of promoting from within, but usually you would expect that in a successful offensive system. Not one that has fallen apart and shown a penchant for its inability to convert 3rd down.

Collier's inexperience will HURT us this year at some crucial point. We can only hope that the wounds are not fatal.

The way I look at it......everybody's gotta start somewhere. And this guy knows the roster. So there shouldn't be alot of continuity problems.

But I understand those who have concerns or worry. They are certainly valid.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
PhinPhan1227, I disagree with you on this one. The guys has been around and inputed into some of the best OC's we know. Like he said now he has to think quick to get the next play ready, by game day, believe the O plan will be ready..now it's just a matter of excusing it and adjusting as neccessary..he has two assistance to help him out that had OC experience, we'll be find..I'm more concern will who the players will be.

I like your doggy icon, take out the ears head eyes and mouth and guess what it looks like. I'm reffering to the doggy.

Originally posted by juniorseau55

I like your doggy icon, take out the ears head eyes and mouth and guess what it looks like. I'm reffering to the doggy.

What are you smoking dude? Seriously!

Oliver...

From what I read he'd been groomed for the role...

...and is deemed ready. What worried me most in the press conference is that they said this will enable them to keep some consistency.

Anyone think that consistency is what this O needs? I thought it was significant improvement that was needed.

I read that he spent all last year working w/ Norv on the game planning. Sounds like he has been groomed for at least the last year (every since Shula tried to steal him) for this job.

Based on this, I think you will see a Norv like offense his first year and then, as he gets his sea legs under him, I think you will see more and more of the influence of the new guys as they help him.

Also, based on the above, I think that offensive game planning by committee is doable. We now have three minds teaming, and 2 of the 3 are ex OC's. I think this will be a good thing.

Best of all, w/ the new QB coach on the sideline maybe we can get Wanny off the conservative bandwagon and more in line w/ a balanced offense when we need to make realtime decisions.

Originally posted by NavyFishFan
and Collier has no more experience in that than anyone here on this BOARD

Totally unfair statement, unless you know for sure that's the case.

To be coaching as long as this guy has around both sides of the ball, he has to have at least SOME game-planning experience/abilities.

No way to know exactly how much....have to wait for camps to see I guess.

He has never been the guy who made the final decision on an offensive play. I know this for a fact because it's right there in his resume'. I'm sure he's had input, and might even have been drawing up schemes which WERE utilized. Heck, it's entirely possible that he was drawing up every single GOOD offensive scheme for the last year, and Norve just gave his approval to them(doubtful, but within the realm of possibility). But that doesn't change the fact that he has never been THE man. As I said in my post, it's entirely possible that he will wind up as a great OC...anythings possible. But it's also PROBABLE that he will make costly mistakes this season while he is LEARNING to be THE man. Seriously, is there ANY possibility of us NOT having a veteran at QB this season now? Would any coach in his right mind have a rookie at QB and OC at the same time? Maybe it all works out. Maybe we have a great season. I hope and pray that it does the same way I hoped and prayed that we would make it through the season without any injuries on the O-line. Unfortunately, the odds won out in that situation, and I suspect that the odds will win out here as well. I just don't want to see Ricky suffer the same fate as Marino....his best years wasted on missed opportunities.

Back
Top Bottom