Is Ogun a poor run defender? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Ogun a poor run defender?

KeyHawk

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I just read this at channel 10.com in their preview of the jets/fins game.

"By running, the Jets can keep the Dolphins off balance. When they run, the Jets will try and run at Ogunleye, who is an excellent pass rusher but a poor run defender."

I never really noticed that Ogun struggled with the run. There's no way Seattle would give up a first and a third plus pay big $$$$ if Ogun can't help stop the run.

Is channel 10 correct on its assessment?

Key

Bullshiat, I say. Ogunleye is pretty damn good against the run. He's not going to be chasing down a running back on the other side of the field like JT does, but he's not a liability like a guy like Dwight Freeney.

No one run at him that much. But it's hard to tell, I guess. We didnt give up a 100 yard rusher this season.

Originally posted by Disgustipate
Bullshiat, I say. Ogunleye is pretty damn good against the run. He's not going to be chasing down a running back on the other side of the field like JT does, but he's not a liability like a guy like Dwight Freeney.

No one run at him that much. But it's hard to tell, I guess. We didnt give up a 100 yard rusher this season.

great points

Originally posted by Disgustipate
Wouldnt the Seahawks logically play him at RDE, anyway?

we need an impact left defensive end player

Funny, people just ASSUME smallish pass rushers can't stop the run. Also, funny how as pointed out earlier we didn't allow a hundred yard rusher and we almsot NEVER bring our S down into the box.

I think O-gun to Seattle is the leader in the clubhouse.

Ogun had more tackles than any other Dolphin defensive lineman. Wouldn't he have to be stopping the run to get this distinction?

Yes key he is a complete DE he plays it all well.

Not really, Keyhawk. DT's in our system sacrifice themselves to take up as many blockers as possible for the linebackers, which explains their stats. Traditionally teams run to the right side(the left side, Ogunleye's side on the Defense). You'd be better off comparing his # of tackles compared to the number of rush attempts the team had, and compare that to other top LDEs.

He's not great, but he's by no means a liability. Maybe a little better then average.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's very good against the run. He gets really good leverage and holds up well at the point of attack.

Okeafor is a natural LDE who lead your team in sacks. Ogunleye could help you out more on the right side.

:lol: that's funny.. Ogunleye is lined up against the strong side of offensive formations.. Miami also allowed around 3.3 yards per carry this year on defense and didnt allow a 100 yard rusher as well.. Ogunleye was a big piece in that..

Ogunleye being weak on rush defense is a complete joke..

he is the complete package at LE. He was very good playing the run this pass year. Keep on mind that we'd have been a 1st round pick but if not for his injury his senior year. I'll hate to lose him!

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom