Is our window closed? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is our window closed?

Hell no

An 11 win season even though it finished badly is a step in the right direction

Just my opinion as most everyone else wants to burn it down

Last time we won 11 games was in 2008

Disappoint for sure but looking forward to next season and hopefully a few lessons learned

I think its 5 because Mahomes signed a new contract in 20 but also there is no correlation. It's a team sport and A LOT more than the QB factors into getting to the Super Bowl. See a lot of teams being carried by the chin straps to the Super Bowl by rookies? Hurts, no. Purdy, no. Burrow, no. Goff, no. Can go on and on past 6 SBs.
I’m counting out Mahomes second SB but in his first as he was in his first contract. And that was my point. You need a complete team and it’s like you have either a once in a decade QB like Brady, Manning, Mahomes, Rodgers or a very complete team. That’s why teams with good but not top 3 QBs being paid a lot on their second contract hardly get in. Unless they have top 3 GM that can draft amazingly. Which we don’t!

Hell no

An 11 win season even though it finished badly is a step in the right direction

Just my opinion as most everyone else wants to burn it down

Last time we won 11 games was in 2008

Disappoint for sure but looking forward to next season and hopefully a few lessons learned
I agree. Specially if you consider the amount of key starters that were out for the season or badly injured and not playing at their level. The sad thing however is we have lots of very good players hitting free agency and have no young draftees to take their place and I don’t trust Grier to be able to replace them with drafted and undrafted rookies. And we don’t have the cap to do wonders on FA. So that’s the very bad news.

I literally started a cap thread which explains easily how to get whatever we want. Cap hell my ass.

Second, we have had 8 picks over the past two years, only 1 in the second round, how is that more premium picks than any other team?

Third, 1/3 of a roster is every teams turnover per year of single year contracts, vets and expiring contracts. You post like you are trying to be shocking when it just comes across as uninformed.
And the reason we have so little picks is because our genius GM can’t get the talent needed on the draft which is cheap on money and picks (no need to trade them). Instead he landed our best offensive weapon (Hill) on FA who is costing us a lot of money and required lots of picks. Same with our best two OL by far. The injury prone Armstead and Williams. Same with our best player in the whole defensive side and the secondary in Ramsey, same with our best pass rusher in Chubb. So he sucks at drafting and needs to import talent. That talent takes a lot of money and picks away (traded for those players) and with no young players to show for we are in offseason hell because of him (Grier)

And the reason we have so little picks is because our genius GM can’t get the talent needed on the draft which is cheap on money and picks (no need to trade them). Instead he landed our best offensive weapon (Hill) on FA who is costing us a lot of money and required lots of picks. Same with our best two OL by far. The injury prone Armstead and Williams. Same with our best player in the whole defensive side and the secondary in Ramsey, same with our best pass rusher in Chubb. So he sucks at drafting and needs to import talent. That talent takes a lot of money and picks away (traded for those players) and with no young players to show for we are in offseason hell because of him (Grier)
We have fewer picks because of 1) a reckless owner who didn't cover his bases and 2) trading a few picks for top tier current talent. I have no problem buying known commodities opposed to rolling dice. But that poster was saying somehow we HAD more premium picks than others which is just actually wrong.

And I think we've already established Grier doesn't suck at drafting. Waddle, Holland, Phillips, Hunt, Wilkins, etc. maybe positionally like OL, I could listen to that argument, but as a flat out sucks I would argue.

In 15years, we can look back and decide if 2023 was our best shot with the Tua/McDaniel Fins and if our window closed. However, we have to see the offseason roster moves and how 2024 works out. Maybe we go on a streak and don't win fewer than 10 games a year for the next 10 years and have a decade-long "window"? Maybe you are right and Grier's roster implodes next year, but it's too early to say how this Fins era will play out.

If we couldn’t win a playoff game this year it’s gonna be 5+ years until we can with Tua on the new contract.

We have fewer picks because of 1) a reckless owner who didn't cover his bases and 2) trading a few picks for top tier current talent. I have no problem buying known commodities opposed to rolling dice. But that poster was saying somehow we HAD more premium picks than others which is just actually wrong.

And I think we've already established Grier doesn't suck at drafting. Waddle, Holland, Phillips, Hunt, Wilkins, etc. maybe positionally like OL, I could listen to that argument, but as a flat out sucks I would argue.
I think he really sucks. Wilkins an Waddle were top 10 picks. And those should always be a hit. But neither of them is a game changer. Wilkins is perhaps the best of them. Everyone knew the talent that Phillips had but he decided to gamble on him because he had multiple picks. Still not a perennial probowler or anything close. Holland is very good and maybe his best pick of the last 5 years because of the round, Hunt nothing spectacular. Sorry but there is not a single player he has drafted that has the kind of talent that makes a huge difference. No Thomas, no Taylor, no Ricky, no Surtain, no Madison, no Bowens, no Wake, no Hill. Not a single one. And he had like 5 first rounders on consecutive years. The best players on this team are FAs and that speaks volumes about Grier and his lack of talent.

Back
Top Bottom