Is Reakwon Davis the answer to the Patsies? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Reakwon Davis the answer to the Patsies?

I dont think they have an advantage vs our front 7. RD98 is an advantage for just about everyone we play, but this defense should be very, very good.

I dont think they have an advantage vs our front 7. RD98 is an advantage for just about everyone we play, but this defense should be very, very good.
We gave up way to many yards on the ground last year for my liking.

As I have previously posted, I think some of it has to do with philosophy and scheme. Guys like Baker and AVG are good players, but not great at engage and shed. They have to be kept "clean".

I do think we have a solid interior rotation.

That being said, the putzies are going to run it down our throats until we either stop it, or the score dictates they move away from it.

It's going to be Run Patsies Run, until Miami stops it.

They are absolutely surgical in how they block and run the ball. Their guys know how to leverage, place hands and feet, and how to outflank and rotate guys on the DL.

Week 1 highlight from last year. Look at the very first running play and how the OL guy created a running lane for his RB.
The entire thing is a highlight reel for that OL.

One guys take on mitigating the NE seeming advantage of their Oline v our Dline.

This guy can come off a bit abraisive at first, but he usually does have knowledge and legitimate insight.

Davis was in the all rookie team, and probably the defender that we barely talk about in here. Davis ended up getting better as the season went on. We are not known to be a run stopping team but stopping the run matters the most when you absolutely have to. Like to prevent a first down, or prevent a touchdown. In other words, other teams may break a run or two against us over 10 yards, but we have to bet on the opposing front stopping the run with the way we spread our linebackers, or have them blitz. In other words some things work out in the favor of our scheme even if we let a big run go. The stats that really matter most is the amount of points we are allowing per drive. To add on to this, Davis is expected to occupy space to allow our linebackers through, or stuff the run. Either how, for the amount of snaps he played which were about slightly less than 200 I think, he did really good for us.

Davis was in the all rookie team, and probably the defender that we barely talk about in here. Davis ended up getting better as the season went on. We are not known to be a run stopping team but stopping the run matters the most when you absolutely have to. Like to prevent a first down, or prevent a touchdown. In other words, other teams may break a run or two against us over 10 yards, but we have to bet on the opposing front stopping the run with the way we spread our linebackers, or have them blitz. In other words some things work out in the favor of our scheme even if we let a big run go. The stats that really matter most is the amount of points we are allowing per drive. To add on to this, Davis is expected to occupy space to allow our linebackers through, or stuff the run. Either how, for the amount of snaps he played which were about slightly less than 200 I think, he did really good for us.

Indeed! Our DL may have improve but we have the same core LB group. Which is not very good against the run overall.

Also, it didn't help that Fitz threw how many INTs? Was it 3?

Yeah! You're not beating NE that way.

Dolphins were 16th in run defense (yards) last year. I thought McKinney was brought in specifically to aid in that but he was cut.

So where will the improvements occur from? Is the hope the D-line's additional experience will make them better? Maybe they hit the lottery with Eguavoen? How much of a role will Phillips have? Their ability to stop the run will be a big test.

Dolphins were 16th in run defense (yards) last year. I thought McKinney was brought in specifically to aid in that but he was cut.

So where will the improvements occur from? Is the hope the D-line's additional experience will make them better? Maybe they hit the lottery with Eguavoen? How much of a role will Phillips have? Their ability to stop the run will be a big test.
Fair points, and it may take some time for all that to gel, unfortunately.

Don't know how much he is going to play but Phillips already looked great setting the edges, dude can already stack and shed while tracking the ball. I think he is going to big in that regard.

If you believe in DVOA at all, Miami was actually 22nd in rush defense (NE was 32nd). Advantage us!

If you believe in DVOA at all, Miami was actually 22nd in rush defense (NE was 32nd). Advantage us!
Additionally, last year saw a drastic change in standing between Miami and NE’s defenses. NE was 1st in 2019, 26th in 2020. Miami was 32nd in 2019, 11th in 2020. Offensive efficiency surely impacted this. W/O Brady, they couldn’t play with a lead like they were used to.

We have a lot of talent and depth in our d-line, they are the key that we are a top 5 defense or not. Davis and Wilkins should be great

Davis can't do it alone. He's certainly outperformed expectations. But can he build on that and sustain it? That's one of the keys, to Miami having any kind of success stopping the run. If he regresses its going to be like a flood gate opening up. I'm not sure Miami's LB's can step up? Can Miami's other DLinemen take the next step? Can they set the edge? We'll soon find out. New England is going to test Miami. Hopefully they'll be up for the challenge?

NE had key players sit out last year. That has to be taken into account.
They are back this year.
NE will be formidable at home.

Back
Top Bottom