Is Ryan Fitzpatrick A Mentor?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by SkapePhin, May 9, 2019.

1. SkapePhin

SkapePhin Rump Shaker Finheaven VIP Donator

there are some QBs like Chad Pennington and Josh McCown who are natural mentors, while there are others like Brett Favre and Big Ben who are not...

Does anyone know if Fitzpatrick is the mentoring type? Will he help Rosen learn the tricks of the trade as an NFL vet or will he keep to himself and simply compete?

2. circumstances

circumstances Starter Finheaven VIP

I'd go to him if I was considering growing a ridiculous beard...

Danny68, PHINSfan, DKphin and 4 others like this.
  3. FinPhan54

FinPhan54 Well-Known Member

I assume coming in, he had to know he was going to have to groom a young QB at some point. I'm sure he knew it was a possibility we would even take Haskins/Lock.

I think either way it is better for him than the ****show he was in with Jameis last year. He's gonna spend the years hanging in a room w good people that will very likely set him up to be a QB coach, and get paid. I don't think he is missing out on another starting opportunity.

For Rosen it is best case scenario to have a Harvard educated, energy based gun slinger mentoring you.

4. circumstances

circumstances Starter Finheaven VIP

Hopefully he mentored Jameis to pay for his crab legs and not to assault Uber drivers or others.

5. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs ಠ_ಠ Finheaven VIP Donator

He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would get pissy that Miami brought in another QB. He was brought to TB to be Winston's backup, and Fitz has even said he hasn't hung up the cleats yet because he still loves football.

Hoot likes this.
  6. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

Yes, I understand that Ryan Fitzpatrick has an excellent reputation as a mentor. In fact, he is well regarded by coaches and teammates from the many teams he has played for. Universally respected. Even Sirius NFL Radio man Pat Kirwan described him as the best veteran QB we could possibly get to come in and mentor young QBs.
    Remember, he was a 7th round Draft pick (taken 250th by St Louis Rams) from Harvard where he studied Economics and he's now in his 15th NFL season. You may also be surprised to learn that his career earnings to date are $57,995,250. Not too shabby for a 7th round Draft pick.
    I understand that Miami signed him for $11M over the next 2 seasons (ie $5.5M per year), of which $7M is guaranteed ($5.5M this year + $1.5M of next year).

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    PHINSfan, The Goat and SkapePhin like this.
  7. Goin' Deep

Goin' Deep "Pick your guy and let it fly." Finheaven VIP Donator

We'll see how well of a mentor he'll be (or continues to be) if we start out say 1-5 and Rosen stays the starter. I would hope those two hit it off and they support one another no matter who's playing.

8. superphin

superphin don't go clown shoes on us Finheaven VIP

He might be more of a joker, or a smoker, maybe even a midnight toker.

9. 39wildman

39wildman A True Fan

fitz no what up in Miami. that why he signed w dolphins. dolphins need qb for future.
    that why BW didn't sign w dolphins. why would u want be backup to drew//

10. jazz015

jazz015 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Ryan fitzpatrick is a curse. Everywhere he goes people get hurt or suspended

11. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Ryan Fitzpatrick is a very academically smart QB, which in our case is perfect, considering Josh Rosen is also very academically brilliant QB that will ask questions all day long on why things are done they that way.

Ryan gives me the impression of someone that whether he is starting, or helping a young QB succeed, he feels like a winner, and will have the patience to help Rosen grow, when Jim Caldwell is not hovering over him, teaching him the finer points in playing the QB position in the NFL like a pro.

12. srp1979

srp1979 Well-Known Member Donator

Yes he is. Considering how many years he has been in the league, how many offenses he has learned, his intelligence, how he has handled coming off the bench and going back on it, and his overall light hearted attitude.......couldn't really ask for a better mentor that's realistically a current day option.

GUH-sick-EE likes this.
  13. royalshank

royalshank Not a Game-Changer Finheaven VIP Donator

He’s helping some local kids w their Vector Calculus classes I hear. Seriously, he’s probably the perfect mentor for a young QB. Been around, seen it all, made tons of money even though he wasn’t great. Smartest QB in the league IMO!

14. phins_4_ever

phins_4_ever E12 FH Tailgate Gang Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

That's what I read about him as well. There is not one former teammate or ex coach who had anything bad to say about him. Just because his life is a journeyman QB does not mean he is stupid or an awful QB. For 60 Mill I'd be a journey man QB. :lol:
    He is a "team first" guy, knows his role on a football team, does not complain, does not cause distraction on or off the field. Any young QB is well advised to listen to him. The guy has played in a dozen different offensive schemes.

SkapePhin and spiketex like this.
  15. NJ Dolphan

NJ Dolphan Rookie Finheaven VIP

The QB mentor is a myth.

Spiff likes this.